HMS Cleopatra (F28) MT Miniatures

im just old enough to remember Navy days, and the enjoyment of visiting warship after warship as the pride of the fleet was openned up to the public, at portsmouth or plymouth. One of the first ships I remember visiting was HMS cleopatra the sea cat leander conversion frigate. So when MT minatures brought a model out I had to have it. this is my second project since returning to the hobby, and I got a rude shock when the parcel from atlantic models arrived.

It was a lump of resin being passed off as cleopatra, after taking some time to pick myself off the floor, I went about some minor corrections of the kit

IMG_8852

IMG_8851

• Like 8

Cleopatra was actually converted twice - the first time, converting her from a ‘Gun Leander’ (as built) to a ‘Batch 2’ or ‘Exocet Leander’ was completed in 1975 [all Leanders had Seacat apart from a couple at the very start of their lives, which is why they weren’t referred to as ‘Seacat Leanders’].  The second time was when her Towed Array was added aft, which was completed in 1983.

Judging by the stern of that MT miniatures job, she’s portrayed as post-Exocet conversion and pre-TA conversion; the TA reel was big and needed a substantial overhang added to the starboard quarter.

You have already made a great job of cleaning up the original lump of resin; your version is a massive improvement!  Looking forward to seeing it develop.  [Too bloomin’ small for me in that scale; Dido in 1/350 was bad enough!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Gidday vf, well done so far on your conversion, 'blob of resin to HMS Cleopatra'. I was very impressed, particularly with the last photo. But then I looked at the background and my admiration turned to horror! Are those labels on those drawers? Such organisation is unbecoming and downright unhealthy! 😁 Actually, don't take any notice of me. Well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

Given the "blob" that you started with, you've done a cracking job with that, especially noting the scale (I can cope with down to 1/600 but anything smaller than that is beyond me I'm afraid).  I'm also seriously impressed with the masking.  I just don't have the patience to start masking maritime models. 

One small observation would be that of all the Leanders I've seen/served in, the flat element of bridge roof is the deck colour with just the curved edge being ship side grey.  This photo of a 1/96 scale shipbuilder's model of DANAE (as built) that I restored for our local Sea Cadet unit about 4 years ago about shows what I mean.

21563300069_ff57a8da03_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

decals, and small details went on today along with , deck washes, some rust staining

the small details show the sizing issues of the kit, with the skywave sea cats dwarfing the back, that said its a great improvement on the original ... Next up matt coat then radar, and whip ariels

2020-01-25 17.10.04

2020-01-25 17.10.09

• Like 5

On 1/26/2020 at 3:28 AM, vf143_tomcat said:

thankfully someone dropped one in our garden ( the wife never believes me )

Gidday vf, you mean she doesn't believe in the decal fairy? What about the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause?

Cleopatra is coming along very well, do you have much still to do? Regards, Jeff.

• 2 months later...