Shackleton markings question

bobmig

Avro Shackleton s/n WG554 of ASWDU in Ballykelly, ca. 1965. This aircraft (and others of the period that I’ve found) does not seem to have either underwing roundel or serials. Is that a correct assumption on my part? Thanks

Bob

Shack.jpg

I'm away from sources, but believe the lack of underwing roundels was standard, it should have underwing serials presented in the standard red outlined in white presentation though.

It can be really hard to see the underwing serials in photos, and I would say that in the above picture that red is showing as the same tone as the dark sea grey, as I'm struggling to see the fuselage serial and even the red of the fin flash has blended in nicely.

My hunch is either the serials haven't been applied yet, or the red has been applied but not the white outline.

Edit, just gone through most of my references , and am happy to go with the above.

Edited by 71chally

VI think it’s highly unlikely that the aeroplane wouldn’t have been wearing underwing serials at that time and looking at the image there appears to be quite a strong reflection under the wing right where the serial number is painted; by significantly enlarging the image I can just about make out the second 5 and the diagonal of the 4.  I’d agree with James though that the Red and Dark Sea Grey have been rendered as the same tone by the film used and its processing.

Edited by stever219
£#@+*&¥$<¥€ auto-incorrect AGAIN!!!!

The last two definitely have underwing serials, I have a a nice clear image of 'Q'.

It is strange just how hard it can be to see the underwing markings, I guess all that grey soaks everything else up.

Do you know where the image of WG554 comes from?  It looks like it's taken at St Mawgan.

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

The last two definitely have underwing serials, I have a a nice clear image of 'Q'.

It is strange just how hard it can be to see the underwing markings, I guess all that grey soaks everything else up.

Do you know where the image of WG554 comes from?  It looks like it's taken at St Mawgan.

Yes. For something that's supposed to be visible, you'd think they would have made them... well... visible!😁

I believe the photo of "A" may have come from here:  https://www.krulantiquarianbooks.nl/cats.php?aut=&titel=&tref=&bnr=&catnr=786&page=14&cursor=<&length=11673&id=6907616&submit=Search

• Like 1

When the aircraft is on the ground there can be a lot of reflection from the ground itself, particularly if it is light coloured and the wing undersurface being in shadow will often be underexposed on a photo, particularly on older photos taken with cameras with less sophisticated metering (or non on the camera my first aircraft photos were taken with, my dad's old Zeiss Ikonta and its sucessor a Zenit B). Getting decent shots of airborne aircraft so that they were not a black silhouette was always fun. 

ALL MR.2s had underwing serials in red outlined in white but no underwing roundels. Only the later 8 Squadron AEW.2s and their two MR.2 trainers had small underwing roundels. 

Edited by AMB