Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa 1957

Hi folks. Here is a simple carving of a 1957 Ferrari Testa Rossa 250 that has kept me busy for the past couple of months. Entirely scratch built and hand carved from mahogany to 1:20th ish scale. Hope you like it.

Merry xmas! 

49252855008_8ff014d3cf_b.jpg

49253536902_bcf6fbbf3b_b.jpg
49252879238_8b1cc5ed93_b.jpg
49252874903_eb2e00d0a9_b.jpg
49252868808_df8d3de727_b.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

WOW ... very nice Red!!   A quantum leap forward in your carving I'd say ... you've been secretly practising.    I've done this very car many times so I'm qualified to say you've nailed the lines.    I think you'll agree that this is a better selection of wood too as the grain has filled in better than the  XK-E.

So what's next?

Frank

• Like 1

17 hours ago, albergman said:

WOW ... very nice Red!!   A quantum leap forward in your carving I'd say ... you've been secretly practising.    I've done this very car many times so I'm qualified to say you've nailed the lines.    I think you'll agree that this is a better selection of wood too as the grain has filled in better than the  XK-E.

So what's next?

Frank

Thanks Frank. Yes, using the right wood and also getting some quality tools has helped, along with practice and lots of sandpaper.

Not sure whats next, I've done all the interesting curvy cars I wanted to. I'd like to try some hard top cars as that would give an interesting challenge of how to carve a closed cabin, but I've been advised that we have enough cars and planes on display for the moment! Maybe some wildlife, or something more abstract.

Lovely job - seriously impressed. You've got those complex lines nicely captured.

Dare I ask - this is from a single block, right?

ATB
Rick

4 hours ago, Spad said:

Lovely job - seriously impressed. You've got those complex lines nicely captured.

Dare I ask - this is from a single block, right?

ATB
Rick

Yes, apart from the screen, wheels and steering wheel. The seats were formed by carving out the cockpit.

22 minutes ago, JCH said:

Very unique.  Did you struggle at all retaining just the wood finish?

JCH

No, but I had to spend a long time with the sandpaper to get rid of the tool marks

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice work Redshift! Each one better than the last! 👍

Cheers matey, you're not so bad yourself.

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2019 at 20:10, Redshift said:

I'd like to try some hard top cars as that would give an interesting challenge of how to carve a closed cabin, 

Yes! Do that! I have spent hours contemplating how to go about doing exactly this and have not really come up with any kind of plan I reckon I could execute to my satisfaction. I would be very interested to see how you tackle such a subject.