Matchbox Enamel Paint

andyf117

Earlier in the year, I purchased a job lot of enamel paints, comprising mostly of Humbrol Authentics, but also with a small number of tins of Gloy, and a handful of Matchbox - I never knew Matchbox even did paint!

The tin design matches that of the later black kit boxes, so presumably dates from the Revell 1991-2001 lease period - and as the colours appear to match Revell's range, I'm guessing it's Revell paint under the Matchbox label?

I really don't get on with brushing Revell paint, as it usually dries way too quickly, so unless the 'vintage' stuff was a better formula, I'll probably not use them - but seeing as Google doesn't even give any results for Matchbox paint, I'm wondering if my few tins might even be collectable?

Edited by andyf117

Revell they are

Collectable? yes and no. Maybe to the Matchbox model collectors who collect Black boxes or the Rainbow boxes

Long before the tinlets Matchbox used to do sets of paint in little test-tube type bottles. These sets are much more collectable

12 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Long before the tinlets Matchbox used to do sets of paint in little test-tube type bottles. These sets are much more collectable

I found a few water-soluble ones whilst searching:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MATCHBOX-MODEL-AIRCRAFT-CAR-KITS-PAINT-SETS-x-2/143476885287?hash=item2167e38727:g:tWsAAOSwDtFd4T~l

But not a single reference to the enamels anywhere...

• 3 weeks later...