Soviet inscriptions on both sides - were they same or different?

JWM

Hi,

So far I thought that on Soviet machines during WWII the inscriptions written on planes (Za Stalina!, Za Rodinu! Za WKP(b) and similar otheres) were unique in this sense, that for example on left bort was "Za Stalina" on other side expected was not the same but rathe "Za SSSR" or similar. Now I 've notice on decals, that many producers provide identical inscription for both sides. Since they were hand painted I do not belive that they look identicly, but moreover, I belive that they were simply different on both sides. Any expert can explain or add something to this? 

Cheers

J-W

Hello J-W,

I don't consider myself as an expert on this subject, but I agree that in those photos I've seen there usually are different inscriptions on opposite sides. And like you said they can be almost anything like:

"From the grateful workers of (City name)"

"For Stalin"

"For the USSR"

"Death to fascists"

"Hero of the USSR (Name)"

"To Berlin"

And there could be more or less crudely painted beasts like wolfs, tigers or lions. I remember seeing a city skyline with church towers as well (an Il-2 perhaps). And then different shields or badges of the party or military units. Some pilots decorated their planes with painted on medals when they had won a high award.

One thing is for sure. You could build an extremely colourful collection of models of these wartime Soviet planes. During the Winter War one Finnish fighter pilot reported an I-16 with "Blazing red nose" that was painted like it was going to take part in a circus of some sort.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JWM said:

Now I 've notice on decals, that many producers provide identical inscription for both sides.

poor research and/or, a guess,  to let the modeller decide. Without photos of both sides, you just don't know, but see my comment on photos below.

20 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

I remember seeing a city skyline with church towers as well (an Il-2 perhaps)

Za Leningrad

zaleningrad.jpg

from

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/il-2/il2-camo/il-2m3/il2m3-camo.htm

which has many more, not just Il-2s....  the site shows the the source photos and the profile artwork. 

Which is the best place online to research this, in English at least.

One thing that is occurring is many more photos from Russia are appearing on Russian websites, and so new schemes are being discovered all the time.

Which is great! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello!

Took a peek on Massimo's Il-2 after long while.

I see the 566 ShAP "07"  "Avenge for Khristenko" is once again given as pictured in Summer 1944.

IIRC it was memorial.ru or somesuch which had Soviet loss lists. IIRC Khristenko was killed in April 1945. If that is true, no the picture is not taken in 1944.

566 ShAP had two white ring on rear fuselage from late June 1944 perhaps lasting to the end of the Viborg operation and the "overtime" period. Couple of photos exist and FinnAF pilots reported sighting them.

IIRC in at least one of the pictures from that same series ground crew wears fur hat. In Summer, really?

Cheers,
Kari            ,who is supposed to be working 

52 minutes ago, Kari Lumppio said:

I see the 566 ShAP "07"  "Avenge for Khristenko" is once again given as pictured in Summer 1944.

IIRC it was memorial.ru or somesuch which had Soviet loss lists. IIRC Khristenko was killed in April 1945. If that is true, no the picture is not taken in 1944.

566 ShAP had two white ring on rear fuselage from late June 1944 perhaps lasting to the end of the Viborg operation and the "overtime" period. Couple of photos exist and FinnAF pilots reported sighting them.

IIRC in at least one of the pictures from that same series ground crew wears fur hat. In Summer, really?

The wrong time/date attribution in photos is very frequent, unfortunatelly... 

J-W

Hello

Jak-1 fighters from 3rd squadron of 267 IAP here (scroll it down to about the middle of page) carried the same inscription ˝Освобождённый Донбасс˝ (Liberated Donbass) on both sides of their fuselages. This seems to be more an exception than a rule, though. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Inscriptions depend on individual aircraft.

Basic inscriptions can be roughly be devided in 2 groups.

1. Inscriptions painted in the unit or repair shop

2. dedication inscriptions painted in the factories (one could pay for aircraft/tank and choose the dedicating inscription)

From what i gather most are NOT identical on left or right side of the fuselage. This is most definitly where photos of the aicraft are necessary before you start.

• Like 1

Hi all,

As already said this canät be said for sure without photos from both sides of the plane.  May be same, may be different or just on  just one side only.

Lavotchins with text "Escadrilja Valerij Chkalov" had it same, but not necessary similar, on both sides of the fuselage.

Cheers,

AaCee