This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Bedders

Why is the quality of Xtradecals often so poor?

Very disppointing that Hannants have sent me two sets of new decals that are not in register. The roundels in both sets are not concentric. Look at 27 and 34 below:

resized_f52aebf6-d771-48d4-aceb-5a43ba9c

And 31 below:

resized_b6df0e94-83fe-4233-a10d-a612e582

And 4 & 5 below:

resized_a6efb183-1800-4eeb-b40a-d36b632c

Very poor reputationally from Hannants/Xtradecals, and not the first time either. Check out 47 & 48:

resized_adc9504c-45be-4393-8f7d-c987c576

And as for 15...!

resized_17765bbd-98f6-4483-a2dd-950bf225

Is it just negligence, or rather wilful pawning off of poor quality product by mail order, which puts the onus on the customer to return the goods for refund/replacement at their own expense? Views welcome.

Justin

I have quite a few Xtradecal sheets and while the odd one or two has an off register roundel, I haven't seen anything like the number you have. That's pretty shocking.

The good news is that Hannants are very good at replacing faulty decal sheets, so you won't be out of pocket.

Cheers,

Mark.

The yellow rings on C1 roundels are almost always off-centre, whether in kits or aftermarket transfer sheets.  Hasegawa did give separate yellow rings on their Hurricane, but sadly the habit didn't spread.  One of the original aftermarket companies, I think Hisairdec, did the same.

There is however no point in sending them back if the replacement sheet still has the same flaw, as in my experience.

Have you tried telling Hannants of this directly?  If they don't know about it they can't do anything about it.  I've seen examples of this on other forums where a comment about the quality of "product ,X" or "supplier Y" generates a shedload of negative comment, and/or a complete flame-war from the Boondocks to Bogborough-under-Grotwater generating bad publicity for manufacturers/traders/suppliers who've not been given the opportunity to right the purported wrong.

In this case Hannants probably don't print these decals in-house and they can't open and inspect every sheet, or every kit or whatever so I'd suggest ringing or e-mailing them to see what can be done to remedy the problem.

Why not have a word with David?  He is a member of this site and sometimes gives input to various topics?

17 minutes ago, rayprit said:

Why not have a word with David?  He is a member of this site and sometimes gives input to various topics?

Sadly you're going to need a seance for that as Mr Hannant passed away in September last year I believe.

It’s weird getting the odd one out of register... you’d think that if the screen for one colour was out of whack they’d all be the same...

best,

M.

I have noticed a decline in QC with Xtra-decals too although more with adhesion qualities that actual printing issues and people I have spoken with on this subject have said the same. I used one of their 1/48 sets (48-158)  on an Airfix 1/48 Meteor kit about a year ago and the decals whilst printed fine, just would not snuggle down no matter how many times I hit it with SOL and then even tried DACO . Quite amazingly, the next day one of the wing roundels actually just 'fell off' still complete and one of the serials also came away when I touched it. Those that stayed on just sat there as though pasted to the surface and there was no attempt at all to sit in panel lines or conform around curves etc. 

Given they were printed by Microscale, I was somewhat amazed as also last year I used a set of AOA decals also printed by Microscale Industries for a 1/32 F4J and those were amongst, if not 'the' very best AM decals I have ever used. Maybe Hannants have theirs done at a lower price than small run companies and so accordingly, QC, adhesives or inks etc used by the producer are of a lower standard? Irrespective and in fairness, Hannants have a superb after-sales service so give them a call and see what they say.

Gary

I very much doubt anyone from Hannants will read this on here. Only John Freeman used to post here when doing decals or them and he has not been on since May 2019

You are best speaking with them direct.

Julien