I want to sell but don't know how

MarcV

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how many posts I have so I can sell an item. It seems unfair that 100 posts are required seeing as I've been a member for years.

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Your surmise is correct, you do need a minimum of 100 posts to buy or sell on this forum.  If you want to bulk up your posts avoid the “Chat” area as posts in there don’t count towards your total (there may be other areas but I can’t remember for certain.

and I’d rather we didn’t get our bottoms spanked by the Mods for breaking forum rules (there are better reasons for getting bottoms spanked🤣🤣🤣🙄).

As already said, you require over 100 posts. Length of time spent on the forum does not count, we prefer people who are known on the forum by actually contributing to the forum by posting builds, helping out with info etc. to be able to access the buy and sell area. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While you may have been a member for years, if you are largely "invisible", your potential buyers won't know you from Adam. Having some kind of presence here helps to establish trust, weed out those who just want to trade (I've seen this in other forums I frequent) and for the most part, it seems to work very well. I see being able to access the buy/trade area as a privilege, rather than a right, and by (hopefully) contributing a little knowledge, experience, help or even just joining in, that privilege may be earned. Does that make sense?

Speaking as someone incredibly introverted, even I find the odd* thing to say, so please feel welcome to join in. We don't bite, mostly, and you really can learn a lot by engaging in the debates and conversations.

Cheers,

Mark.

*odd being the operative word.

• Like 4

Easy way to boost your posts?  Its become an annoying habit and really winds me up.  A lot of new members, having no interest in other peoples kits, models, advice, etc, etc, but they do know how boost there numbers, possibly to sell items on here, to get your magic number, just take the first topic you find, you do not need to read it, or show any interest in it, just click on it, at the bottom of the thread is "reply to this topic" and in the box, type one word...………….."great", then go to the next topic, same thing, click it and reply with "Brilliant",.next topic, one word again "super", next topic "outstanding" etc etc, you soon get to your number, its been a growing habit on here for sometime and it annoys me that people trying to boost there numbers cannot find the time to put genuine comments on somebodies build, but hey, who cares, it happens

• Like 9

Sorry, just couldn't resist...  You could always put it on eBay, too, if you just want it out of your way.  Don't expect to make a killing, but if there's a figure below which you'd be heartbroken, make that the minimum bid.  As it happens, I've got one of those in my stash, but it belongs to a friend who had wanted to sell it.  I wanted to pore over it a bit, and I think he was happy to have it taking up my space instead of his!

18 hours ago, rayprit said:

Easy way to boost your posts?  Its become an annoying habit and really winds me up.  A lot of new members, having no interest in other peoples kits, models, advice, etc, etc, but they do know how boost there numbers, possibly to sell items on here, to get your magic number, just take the first topic you find, you do not need to read it, or show any interest in it, just click on it, at the bottom of the thread is "reply to this topic" and in the box, type one word...………….."great", then go to the next topic, same thing, click it and reply with "Brilliant",.next topic, one word again "super", next topic "outstanding" etc etc, you soon get to your number, its been a growing habit on here for sometime and it annoys me that people trying to boost there numbers cannot find the time to put genuine comments on somebodies build, but hey, who cares, it happens

Rayprit, now that makes more sense. To be honest with you, I tend to avoid BM some of the time because of the cringingly ingratiating remarks you have to plough through before getting to any actual content.

Now, I understand why. So this would imply that the 100 post rule has an adverse effect. Further I would have preferred to sell my kits to people who could appreciate them, now I'll just have to put them on Ebay because a) I don't want to clutter the site, and b) getting to 100 in my case will take ages as I don't have the time or inclination to surf BM all day. No disrespect intended to those that do and do.

Hopefully the moderators are democratic enough to accept this constructive criticism.

Marc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MarcV said:

Hopefully the moderators are democratic enough to accept this constructive criticism.

As I said before, its been going on for ages, easy to spot as streams of the persons avitar run down the side of the screen like machine gun bullets, insincere one word responses,  Its been going on for years, just to bump there post number - as much as I would like to see it stopped, I cannot forsee it changing in the near future, if its not broken, why fix it! ...………...but hey, who cares, it happens

At the end of the day, it's up to the powers that be on here how many posts you need, I think it could be improved but leave it to the site admins to do if they see fit. The 100 post rule is going to be irritating for some, but I think it's better than no minimum so we can buy and sell with confidence on here. 

All I can suggest for now is to join in the discussion, you'll be up to 100 in no time. We're all pretty friendly here, this is one of the most drama free forums I've ever seen. 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

I joined BM to look and read discussions about models and modelling and the buy and sell aspect has always been very secondary to me, although I appreciate not to other people. I think the 100 post rule was put on to stop people from joining just to trade and if people are just putting comments to get to the magic number, it is a bit of a shame. 

• Like 1

Having seen that on other forums (or should that be fora? whatever), even those who merely do those aggravating one word replies to up their post count do not always benefit from that - I frequented one where 'view user's posts' is not as limited in history as here which allows you to assess who you're dealing with. 
Someone who sticks to that particular tactic gets a low rating modifier. Don't know how they do it, but it works in the trading area they have.

All nitpicking apart, it isn't that hard to be a bit more involved. After all, you did choose this hobby, so there's bound to be a topic you know something useful about.

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

those who merely do those aggravating one word replies to up their post count do not always benefit from that

Perhaps a minimum word count should be required before it counts towards the post total. It would have to be automated though so it doesn't stop the Mods doing other things.

We have found through bitter experiences that the 100 post rule works out quite well.

you should not be joining just to sell kits, it is after all a community and you generally only get out what you put in. We welcome all modellers no matter there level of experience and we like to think most of us get along, help people out and share experience which in some cases is borne out of failure with projects, and sometime by winning wiith projects,

the use of the buy / sell area is there for people who want to take part as whole and we can't see the minimum requirement changing anytime soon.

Julien

• Like 10

Well, as a long time lurker here I'll chip in with my own experience of these things as my first post.

Being extremely asocial it is unlikely that I will now live long enough to get 100 posts here but then that was not my reason for signing up so not an issue.

The people who run these places set out their stall as to how the forum works and if people don't like it then don't join.

I run two other special interest forums, not scale modelling related, and we have similar rules for accessing the for sale forum. On one it is 15 posts for access and the other doesn't have a for sale section. The one with the 15 posts works fine with the size of membership churn and we are able to keep an eye on the one word post count builders and nip them in the bud, if it became an issue then no doubt we would increase the number of posts required.

The only thing that bothers me about such rules is that it is just more of the style of contemporary legislating where the actions of the few bad eggs end up spoiling it for the many good and honest people. I know mea culpa also, I just wish that there was a bit more trust in the world.

But then what would I know.

• Like 1

I average 526 words per post in my own threads and 186 words per post in comments on others threads, (I may be exaggerating a bit) but I tend to post longish comments, or provide lots of information, because I hope people appreciate my candour, and either pick up some tips from, or suggest tips, to me. I see little point in posting one or two word comments on others work, because surely the idea is to offer constructive criticism, or sing their praises, or both.  I don't care what 'target' I have to reach in order to buy or sell on BM.  I never joined this site with those intentions in mind and I suspect the vast majority of members joined for the same reasons as me,  rather than for making a profit, or indeed, finding a bargain. 

So, if anyone is 'upset' at the 100 post rule, or by those who 'boost' their reputation by posting one word comments, I'd say 'chill'. It's all pretty immaterial to most of us. Ultimately, genuine sellers will earn a good reputation and will get their rewards, whilst nefarious ones will get found out. And sorry, but if I wanted to sell one of my completed models, or a kit from my stash, but was a long way short of the 100 posts target, I'd actually question my membership in the first place.

Badder.

• Like 7