Pukin Dogs Mig kill for 1967

Plumbum

Hello---I have the Hasegawa  1/72 F-4B/N and want to do the VF-143 Mig kill from October 26, 1967.

I went through 2 MIG kill lists and they both say it was Lt Hickey and Lt Morris, 2 nuggets. I have seen

this aircraft as 1444 but as 307 and 305. Which number was it, Taproom 305 or Taproom 307? Both images

or profiles show it with the  tan nose. Thanks---John

Hello John,

this photo at least proves that Taproom 307 had a tan nose during 1967 WestPac cruise. Unfortunately the BuNo isn't visible: https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv64-67/222.htm

The book "US Navy Phantom II MiG killers 1965-1970" (Osprey Publishing) tells the story and states that Morris and Hickey were flying BuNo 149411 NK-311 when they shot that MiG down. There is also a photo taken minutes after Morris and Hickey landed back at USS Constellation showing them still sitting in the cockpit. Only detail visible is the name LCDR GENE ?HIFLETT on the pilot's canopy. This same book gives a nice colour profile of NK-311 as well. The paint scheme matches the photos published in "Connie's" 1968 WestPac Cruise book. According to the profile picture NK-311 had a black radome.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks....so much for that idea, anyone know what year they DID fly F-4Bs with the

tan radome? I have a picture but no date. 1967, 68, 69? Thanks---John

At the time of the MiG kill it was October of 1967. That being said I have seen photos of VF-143 Phantoms with black radomes circa 1963-64. I was acquainted with Ben, the person who owned and operated Fox One decals and I can assure you that he stringently researched the subject matter of his decal sheets, in many case engaging in correspondence with the pilots who flew the aircraft depicted.

Thanks, I went to USS Constellation 1967 Cruise Book. I saw a line of "Dogs" with black radomes

and one off the cat with a tan radome. all were VF-143.---John

Also the 1968-69 cruise had the "Dog" on the tail as seen here in this 68-69 cruise book image.

BYayQCy.jpg

F-4 radomes were not forever fixed to the airframe.  Just because an aircraft had a tan radome in one photo doesn't mean it couldn't have had a black radome the next day.  If there was damage, it would have been swapped out with whatever was on hand.

Hello guys,

the Osprey book stated that the aircraft in question was NK-311. The model silverkite211 built represents NK-307. And that Phantom carries the name LCDR GENE SHIFLETT on pilot's canopy (visible in the after landing photo and on the model).

Lt James Souder was the RIO of an other "Dogs'" Phantom taking part in that particular mission. Although he describes those few minutes in great detail, he uses call signs "Taproom 1" and "Taproom 2"; so not the real side numbers.

There is an on-line resource where you can find scans of official US Navy "Deck Log Books". Usually there is a short notice about "unusual" activities (such as aerial victories or shot down aircraft) giving the BuNo and crew names. There was quite many logs for "Connie". Unfortunately I can't remember the www... These records might give the actual aircraft involved. Then it would be "easier" to look for details of the paint scheme and so on.

Cheers,

Antti

John,

I just found the resource I mentioned in my earlier post. The site is much more user friendly than it was a couple of years ago. The tabs still keep crashing but I can wait for an extra minute. Here you can read the Deck Logs: https://www.archives.gov/research/military/logbooks/navy-online

Unfortunately there isn't a single word about the aerial victory, just reports about courses and speeds🙁

Cheers,

Antti

I just went to that site and had multiple screen freezes. I thought I was going to

destroy my computer so I left that site, no intention of going back. I am now

going to shut down and run Malware. Thanks but that site is too dangerous for

me.---John

John,

if it helps at all, I have never got any "bugs" from that site and I have visited there many times. The site has always been very slow and the tabs crash without warning, screen freezes and so on. I have thought that this is because of over load on the government system.

Cheers,

Antti

By October 67, the air war was at its high point and squadrons were losing a lot of aircraft. Between that and cycling a/c to Cubi Point for Depot maintenance, who knows how many Modex’s that BuNo wore? At one point researching the Oriskany, I found a couple of A-4s that had 3 different Modexs during October 67 alone. 

No real answer for you, other than it could have been both TAPROOM 305 or 307.

Peter