Cold War S. America/Mustang over Uruguay...

John Masters

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

The radiator scoop

Do you think it looks alright?  Should the frame be larger?  Maybe no grill?  I have looked at pictures and the grill seems to be well inside, almost out of sight.

Edited by John D.C. Masters

Thanks Dennis, Andwil and RR...

I am convinced this dog will fly.  But not with these gaps during a test fit of fuselage to wing.  I will have to use Milliput for this instead of softer putty.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I am convinced this dog will fly.

"'Foom?!'  Mate, this bird wouldn't "Foom" if you put 4 million Volts through it!"

I was considering making a helpful [sic] suggestion about the radiator intake, but when I saw the shape of the wheel wells...

Just close your eyes and press on!

• Haha 1

You're right that at the front of the (real) Mustang intake there's just a clean opening, no screen or "grille".  But there's also a prominent gap between the belly of the aircraft and the "roof" of the intake.  The kit's representation is so far off (now that I look at it more carefully) that I really do suggest just building it as is as a novelty. 

And none of that is meant to be a snide way of saying, "Why are you wasting your time on this kit?"

bob

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

building it as is as a novelty. 

Yes...the moulding is way off.  I have seen threads here where the hobbyist enters the Dimension of the Damned and spends several months correcting something that would be best suited on the refuse pile.  That is not me.

What I might do is order a better kit from the Big Yellow Store.  I have plenty of time and this build is really about the decals, not the Revell kit.  I am not adverse to this.  

I'll give it a think while I work on something else...

25 minutes ago, Andre B said:

I think the old Airfix intake from the 1974 mould can be fitted to the Revell kit with some carefull cutting...

That's is provided you have one...:banghead:

46 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Yes...the moulding is way off.  I have seen threads here where the hobbyist enters the Dimension of the Damned and spends several months correcting something that would be best suited on the refuse pile.  That is not me.

What I might do is order a better kit from the Big Yellow Store.  I have plenty of time and this build is really about the decals, not the Revell kit.  I am not adverse to this.  

I'll give it a think while I work on something else...

That's is provided you have one...:banghead:

Maybe I have one for your Mustang if you can accept a little delay in your build. Had to find it and post it from Sweden...

Cheers / André 

7 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Too late!  I have just ordered the new mould Airfix 51-D from the UK...

Thank you though Andre...that is very generous.

Not mutch, :)

I had one spare intake from an old crached Airfix J-26. Had an idea kring it to an HobbyBoss Mustang but it was to "skinny". 

Like your build. Old kits also needs to be built now and then! ;)

Cheers / André 

Good morning John

I think that you are very brave to build this s..... kit when there much better kits available and you are doing a very good job to update it 

From a customer point of view I think it is a shame that a company could sell such a outdated kit ..

All the best

Patrice

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I think that you are very brave

Not so brave...I will jettison this kit.  I have the new mould Airfix P-51D coming soon.  I will put this on hold and restart it when I get the new kit.  Should I begin a new thread?  The decals will be the same...

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Not so brave...I will jettison this kit.  I have the new mould Airfix P-51D coming soon.  I will put this on hold and restart it when I get the new kit.  Should I begin a new thread?  The decals will be the same...

Good afternoon John

Well I would prefer that you start a new thread for the new mould Airfix Mustang and you will be able to restart this build whenever you want ..

I think that this way it will be easier for those who had started to follow your build ...

Patrice

A brave attempt John, but probably a wise decision!

(I'm playing Thread Catch Up... and this one just self-destructed! :blink:)

Best wishes for the Airfix build, I'll try and join it sooner.

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

probably a wise decision!

Yes..so this thread, the build is finished.  Onto the shelf of Doom the Revell Blob of a Mustang goes.   I will re-thread the build when I receive the new Airfix kit.  Never fear!  The Uruguayan Mustang will appear on the bench!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You could build a diorama of a Mustang that has bellied in, there are a few photos around of such incidents.  That way the appalling wheel wells and radiator scoop/ducting won’t be seen.

AW

Its a pity John @John D.C. Masters. I sill look forward to seeing the Airfix built up as a FAU machine. My FAU build (not in the STGB) stAlled this week when I realised that i had painted the rudder markings the wrong way round! :(

Martin

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

i had painted the rudder markings the wrong way round!

I had noticed that but thought, "well, he has his reasons..."  Thanks for the compliment.  The thought of continuing the Revell kit became angst-causing.

11 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Yes..so this thread, the build is finished.  Onto the shelf of Doom the Revell Blob of a Mustang goes.   I will re-thread the build when I receive the new Airfix kit.  Never fear!  The Uruguayan Mustang will appear on the bench!

Good morning John

You still have plenty of time befoe the end of the Gb to build the Airfix kit ..

All the best

Patrice