Cold War S. America/Mustang over Uruguay...

John Masters

John, @John D.C. Masters, watch out for the LF decals. I have the LF and ArmyCast sets. The latter doesnt represent an operational machine. Even the Aztec sheet, which also have, is incorrect. At least the LF set has roundels for all four wing stations.

I have a 1/72 FAU Mustang 90% complete and have scrounged additional roundels. Note that the ArmyCast set has the best unit badge, while, I'm afraid, the LF is the worst (sorry). The Aztec is a two-stage decal and still not as crisp as the ArmyCast.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

watch out for the LF decals.

Thank you Martin.  I'll take care. My sheet has four roundels, the tail fin flashes, the unit numbers and Thomassot's squadron logo.  I think I'm ok.  They seem to be very thin, which I like.

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Thank you Martin.  I'll take care. My sheet has four roundels, the tail fin flashes, the unit numbers and Thomassot's squadron logo.  I think I'm ok.  They seem to be very thin, which I like.

Yes, John, I reckon she'll look great. I agree about the fine decals. I look forward to seeing her done :). Good luck. 

Martin

• 5 weeks later...

Ok.  I think this kit was from an age in the Revell company when they really didn't care so much.  Lots of flash, soft, cheap plastic.  Oddly moulded prop.  You be the judge.

spacer.png

Are these butter spatulas?  Ghastly prop set up...

spacer.png

And what I have for the office...pretty rudimentary...

spacer.png

Oh well.  I'll do my best.  I am going to search the stash for some better wheels also.  Be prepared for some scratch built undercarriage.  

--John

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I think this kit was from an age in the Revell company when they really didn't care so much.

Hmm closed off turtle deck thats not good. Theres a pretty prominent gas tank/Radio visible under the canopy behind the armor. 

10 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Pretty rudimentary kit

That kit looks disgusting but like my Frog Mustang, it gives you opportunity to try things. You can cut back on the work by putting it into a flying configuration.:whistle:

Stuart

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

it gives you opportunity to try things.

Thanks Stuart.  I was thinking of 'flying mode' but then I got the idea of building some landing gear.  I am afraid I'll have to stick with the wheels unless I can find something else.  But the gear itself I can scratch out.  It's too late for me to build the fuel tank/radio setup behind the cockpit.  

Just don't look and you won't miss it!  😉

• Like 1

This is funny.  It reminds me of those flat balsa planes in a bag I used to buy for pennies...They actually flew pretty well as I recall.

spacer.png

And it looks like this...

spacer.png

And this.  Is there room?  Could cobble together a facsimile of radio/fuel tank, even if it was just an abstract idea?

spacer.png

And so then I tackled the 1/48th scale Viking helmet w/ butter knives.  A bit of Dremeling, a bit of hand-filing, some blue language...I think it looks better.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 2

The first generation Mustang made in the late 50'thies. Strange that Revell still sell that ancient kit. The two others from Airfix and Lindberg where abandoned many years ago. But the decals for Cookie" are well made and can be used för other kits. And it's still fun to see those old kits built! 

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9533&start=110

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B

I added some thingumabobs behind the seat.  I looked at some images on line and these seem to fit the bill.  Looks better than nothing anyway.

spacer.png

Now...the intake scoop...I did the best I could.  Including counting, it seems.  Duh!

spacer.png

Then onto the fuselage...some Evergreen for a frame.  It all might be too big, but I think it is better than the supplied piece.

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 6