Mustang over Switzerland...

John Masters

I'll be joining in with at least one Mustang, my very first by the way.  Of course, it had to be something different.  Swiss.  Very flashy with its red and white neutral colours over the silver and black.  I have to finish up the Mosquito over in the Fictional GB and the Bristol on the side bench.  I have time since this GB doesn't end until March 2020!  Wow...I might have to build two...😉

spacer.png

• Like 9

Hi John.. Ive kind of researched Swiss mustangs a little. There is some thought that possibly the “B” still wore invasion stripes. Most likely only underneath the wing after the red neutrality markings were added. For how long and to what extant is unknown. So entirely up to you ? When i build mine sometime in the future i plan on adding them for visual interest. I will see if I can find the link again, if I can i will post it. 

Dennis

Found it: https://www.flieger-hanspeter.ch/Mustang-P_51-B.htm

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

adding them for visual interest.

Me too!  Many thanks for the link Dennis.  Great pictures and a superb build to use as a reference.

29 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Have fun with your build

Thank you Patrice!

• Like 2

A nice subject, John. I recieved one of these kits today and the decals look good. Sadly it wont appear in my Mustang line as I'm maxed out with options.... ;). I look forward to seeing her :).

Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I look forward to seeing her :).

Thank you Martin.  Happy that you're maxed out!  

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looks like a colourful and interesting subject.

It does indeed.  It'll go nicely next to the Swiss Messerschmitt.  

• Like 1

As promised...Christmas Day Eve is here and while the fist round of paint on the Mossie (Light Gull Grey) dries overnight I might as well jump in on this one...

Good news and bad news...bad news first...some of the decals are not supplied, namely the seat harness and other cockpit decals.  It could be worse, I know, and this is something I have encountered before with AZ kits.  As you see, I could build one of three interesting aircraft bit I'll stay with the Swiss.  Funnily, no registration numbers...

spacer.png

The good news?  Lovely detail for such a small scale so I am not really crying about the missing decals.  I guess I'll use an Interior Green (zinc chromate), black and silver combo for the cockpit.  Nice moulding...no flash so far.

spacer.png

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 5

Typical of AZ Model kits, this seems to be coming along quickly.  

spacer.png

I assembled the cockpit and picked out the different colours with a hairy brush.  The cockpit went together very easily, just like their 109 and Spitfire cockpits.  The fit seems to be flush with the interior.  An interesting note, the instructions have you attach the tail wheel and assorted flaps at the beginning.  Not a problem.  At the risk of a jinx, I anticipate this will be a quick build with a somewhat longer period of time for the complex painting job--neutral red and white as well as silver, anti-glare black and the remnants of the invasion stripes on the undersides of the wings.  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 6

On 12/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

the link

Thanks again for that link Dennis.  Aside from the Mustang, these are some fascinating photos and events covered on the site.  The ground up reconstruction of the N.23 with a brand new, shiny rotary engine is wonderful as is the very snazzy Swiss Hawker Hunter.  If I knew German it would be even better.  Many thanks again.

10 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Very good job

Thank you Patrice!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

does look a nice kit.

Thanks Steve.  It is building up nicely.

The fuselage came together easily with only this small gap ahead of the canopy.  An easy fix.

spacer.png

The wing section and the landing gear bay was also an easy construct.

spacer.png

And then these two components come together with the upper wing halves all but seamless.

spacer.png

Nice kit.  I recommend it highly.

--John

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I agree, I have the same kit (KP) but haven't fitted the wings yet.

Stuart

I'll second that. So far the experience has been good, although it has come to a halt for Christmas ;).

Martim

• Like 1

Here's a bit of progress...rudder, spinner, prop and wheels.

ispacer.png

and some of it together!  The box had the prop tips painted red...

spacer.png

And the stabilizers went on...a bit of story there.  The carpet monster almost ate the port stabilizer.  I had glued it on and was attaching the starboard piece when, for some reason, 'sproing!!....the port piece went flying!  I heard it hit the tile floor, then go silent. I searched for a good twenty minutes, dismayed...then thought..."no...it can't be that simple..."  It was stuck to the bottom of my slipper.  Alas, like the one that got away, I didn't photograph it.  What a relief, though!

spacer.png

--John

• Like 4
  • Haha 2