Saab 210 LillDraken Planet models 1/72

This is the original version of the testbed used to verify the feasibilty of the Draken configuration. The later version had the cut back intakes used on the full size version.

Although a simple kit the intake assemblies did not fit well and reshaping meant that much rescribing had to be done - not one of my favourite activities.

I was not happy with the canopies provided. Both were too thin at the rear and I did not think that the shape was correct so replacements had to be made.

John

p?i=a358fe16985590df4d11ad5278802c70

p?i=056a6d65412458ff76a5ddd7dd1dba4f

• Like 23

Very neat build of the SAAB 210 testbed, which flew for the first time on 21 January 1952.

It's interesting to reflect on how development of high-performance airplanes was dependent on practical testing of innovative drawing board concepts in those pre digital computer days.

The fighter forerunner to the J 35 Darken was the SAAB 29 'Flygande Tunnan' (Flying Barrel). It was originally conceived as a straight wing design, but after SAAB got early access to German wartime wind tunnel data, the decision was made to give the J 29 a swept wing. To test this new concept in the air, SAAB rebuilt a four seat prop trainer, the SAAB Safir, with a half-scale version of the proposed 'Tunnan' wing.

29_-Tunnan-.png

Nice Lilldraken model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Nice job and well done with that thin black leading edge stripe - very evenly done!

I was not aware that this aeroplane was available in kit form - will have to keep an eye out for it.

Thank you. That stripe caused the air to turn blue a number of times!

I got my kit off Ebay.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Nice job and well done with that thin black leading edge stripe - very evenly done!

I was not aware that this aeroplane was available in kit form - will have to keep an eye out for it.

Both "Lilldrakens" are available from Planet Models: #263, SAAB 210-I Lilldraken "Initial Configuration" and #265, SAAB 210-I Lilldraken "Final Configuration".

I once saw a review of a book called 'Night Fighter' which the reviewer referred to as''Nighter Fighter' and somebody remarked that a Nighter Fighter only went out on very dark nights.

John

• Like 1