Colour IWM Film of RAF Thunderbolts in SEAC

tonyot

9 hours ago, noelh said:

Very interesting. Pity there's no sound. Great reference for the P47 in SEAC colours. 

Also you can nearly feel the tropical heat. 

Nice find.

Love it

and for me here in Norther Tropical Australia, there was no need for any imagining 0820 and 27C at the moment

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Graeme H said:

Love it

and for me hear in Norther Tropical Australia, there was no need for any imagining 0820 and 27C at the moment

Ha ha, no doubt, you're making me jealous having just come back from Southern Africa a few weeks ago. I miss the tropical temperatures. 7 bloody degrees seems almost warm here. Count yourself lucky.

God it's  cold and damp here!

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

That is great - I finished one earlier this year from the Hase 48th kit. Far too clean! As a reference for weathering it is brilliant. 

Midway through you see an Army officer strapping in - was not aware of that happening outside AOP Sqns. He has red stripes on his epaulettes. Any ideas?

Will

• Like 2

Excellent video Tony, thank you for sharing. This certainly reminded me about a project I've been planning for years; a Thunderbolt in SEAC colours. It would be stunning in 1/24 scale! Does anyone know where this film was shot?

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2

Well the squadrons in involved were 42 and 79. So Burma? India?

Also the 'army officer' might in fact be a seconded South African Air Force officer. A Lt D B Smyth served with 42 Squadron around that time in the Burma, India theatre. I looked it up.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting film, Jugs are big b*****s aren't they? 

The pilot close ups show the oil spots on the fuselage even right back aft of the wing, the ground crew walking all over the wing including the access panels and the different rates at which the main legs retract.

Now where can I get a Kinetic 1/24 Thunderbolt?

Dave

• Like 1

It seems that the Kinetic model comes with SEAC markings. Hobbylinna here in Finland is selling this kit for 139 Euros.

Take a look at these photos: she really is big... http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/p47d24previewbg_3.htm

And then of course it would be more than a pleasant surprise if Airfix released a Spitfire PR.XIX and/or FR.XIV in 1/24 scale. I hope my letter to Santa Claus this year didn't go to waste.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

That is great - I finished one earlier this year from the Hase 48th kit. Far too clean! As a reference for weathering it is brilliant. 

Midway through you see an Army officer strapping in - was not aware of that happening outside AOP Sqns. He has red stripes on his epaulettes. Any ideas?

Will

The Army officer is a South African Will,...... the SAAF wore Army ranks and the red stripe is actually orange,...... South Africans on overseas service wore an orange band on their epaulettes.

Lots of people don`t realise that SAAF personnel also served with RAF units against the Japanese too,........ there were plenty of other Commonwealth pilots represented in the film too and even a Yank in the RAF/RCAF with USA flashes. 

As you say,.... the film makes you realise that we often don`t weather our models enough and that the hot temperatures and stong sunlight had such an effect on colour schemes,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Tony,

Great film, thanks  for posting. 

Good to see the groundcrew getting some recognition.  It's also interesting to see the oil canning on some of the panels as well as the oil spots splattered down the fuselage.

Who does British late WWII bombs like those seen here in the popular scales?

• Like 1

at 03.24.10, note the one NMF P-47 in the line up.

Brings home why the P-47 never had it's armament up graded either!    Hopefully the IWM will digitise the film the have of Hurricane IId's in India sometime...

Thank for posting this @tonyot 👍

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hopefully the IWM will digitise the film the have of Hurricane IId's in India sometime.

Yes please, I've hunted the net for reference on these several times but it seems thin on the ground. I'd like to see this.

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Yes please, I've hunted the net for reference on these several times but it seems thin on the ground. I'd like to see this.

Steve.

I did post up a thread ages ago

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954157-hurricane-iid-20-squadron-anyone-seen-the-film/

the IWM link is here

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060028527

I did get in touch with them, and it was possible to view it. getting it digitised wasn't cheap,  as I asked.  

Before I looked up the thread,  I searched up "Hurricanes film India"  (forgetting the film was supposed to be in Burma) 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?query=hurricane+film+india&pageSize=30&style=list

and there are a few films!   

I'll have to see if I can arrange a visit and see what in them.   be interesting if there more photos in the collection not usually seen.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also on a totally trivial issue. The haircuts of the pilots are really quite modern. Short at the sides long on top. My eldest definitely favours that style.

Brings it home how young they were.

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

The Army officer is a South African Will,...... the SAAF wore Army ranks and the red stripe is actually orange,...... South Africans on overseas service wore an orange band on their epaulettes.

Lots of people don`t realise that SAAF personnel also served with RAF units against the Japanese too,........ there were plenty of other Commonwealth pilots represented in the film too and even a Yank in the RAF/RCAF with USA flashes. 

As you say,.... the film makes you realise that we often don`t weather our models enough and that the hot temperatures and stong sunlight had such an effect on colour schemes,

Cheers

Tony

That explains it - thank you.

• Like 1

For earlier discussion of this excellent and fascinating footage (including whether or not one of the aircraft is in Grey/Green uppers), see this thread:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061628-seac-thunderbolt-colors/&tab=comments#comment-3461245

The film clip is introduced in the link on post 6.

• Like 1