1/72 Esci M4A1 Sherman Calliope British use

phat trev

Thanks both. The model is the Calliope version of the ESCI kit but not looking to make this type.  So is this type (sans launchers) a late model m4a1 then? I am looking to see what conversion scratch building I would need to replicate a British Army Sherman of this type

Edited by phat trev

No, the Esci kit has the wrong turret for its hull .  That combination was apparently only used on a few DD-tanks so either a new hull or a new turret is needed to build the Esci kit if one can't find a DD conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

You essentially have 2 British choices for your Esci Calliope kit.

Option 1 - replace the upper hull with a small hatch type in order to make a 75mm Sherman II.  If the turret has a loader's hatch this will need to be filled in.

Option 2 - replace the turret with a T23 type with 76mm gun to make a Sherman IIA as used in Italy (and by the Poles under British command in NWE).

However, both of these suggest buying a more appropriate kit as the necessary after-market parts will cost more than the original kit.  For a Sherman III you definitely need a new starting point as you need new upper and rear lower hull.

I don't model in Braille scale so my knowledge of who kits what in that scale is very limited.  I do like the fact that UM offer just about every service configuration of Sherman and many of their kits include optional parts including drivers' hoods eg DV and non-DV.  Their Sherman III kit has cast, welded and DV hoods included, for example.