Placeholder - scheme to be decided

FortyEighter

A swell as my RNZAF 'stang I'm building another Tamiya kit (this time from the Korean War boxing but have yet to decide if it will be finished in that time frame or another from the many sets of decals that I have available.

The interior green has been sprayed and main instrument panel finished with Eduard etch.  Apart from the panel, the other fuselage and wing parts are at the top of this shot:

20191219_160303

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this one will probably either be 44-13317 "Donald Duck" or 44-11622 "Nooky Booky IV" but meanwhile building can progress:

20200107_171634

Wing seams filled with Vallejo Plastic Putty (and a very small amount needed for the wing / fuselage joint).  Having primed my RNZAF bird, I can see that the putty on that has sunk slightly so may apply a second coat of filling to these wings.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Wing seams filled with Vallejo Plastic Putty (and a very small amount needed for the wing / fuselage joint).  Having primed my RNZAF bird, I can see that the putty on that has sunk slightly so may apply a second coat of filling to these wings.

I've have yet to find a putty that doesn't shrink/sink.  On the Mustang I've been working on I've just used super glue as a filler.  Even in the woodworking world, those that say no shrinkage always shrink/sink.

But your picture does show you filling in the end cap seam.  That was one I was questioning whether to do or not.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

But your picture does show you filling in the end cap seam.  That was one I was questioning whether to do or not.

As we all know, the subject of putty and Mustang wings is a minefield!

References on t'internet do vary slightly eg one source shows the panel lines behind the gun access panels unfilled while another shows them filled.  The same is true for the end cap seam but several photos appear to show this filled, so I went down that route on this model.

The trick is probably to pick an aircraft for which you can't find any specific photos - then nobody can say that you are wrong!

Mike

• Like 2

The most reliable information I've got, supported by a production picture, would have the wing panel lines filled up to appr. half chord, incl. the end caps (although they were often cleaned in service to make them detachable). Not filled, however, are the small panels inboard of the gun muzzles. These were maintenance access panels for the landing gear joint.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, Toryu said:

The most reliable information I've got, supported by a production picture, would have the wing panel lines filled up to appr. half chord, incl. the end caps (although they were often cleaned in service to make them detachable). Not filled, however, are the small panels inboard of the gun muzzles. These were maintenance access panels for the landing gear joint.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, BlueNosers352nd said:

Grrr, think I have them filled.

Me too!  Guess it wouldn't take too much effort to scrape them out before the metallic finish goes on.