Paint for Skyraider AD-5?

Neil.C

I have been kindly bought a Revell Skyraider 1/48 for Christmas but looking through the instructions the overall colour of Sea Blue is FS 15042?

I have no idea what that is and have a large amount of Humbrol tins so I'm hoping I have something that will do or will spring for something.

Is it gloss? Any equivalents?

It is for brush painting and I'm not particularly anal about accuracy as long as it looks good. 

Edited by Neil.C

You've git an FS595B paint reference there with "1" as the first digit: that means it's a gloss finish, "2" is satin and "3" is matt.

If your stash of Humbrol contains a tin if the now-discontinued 181 you're in business, if not 15 or 104 are the next closest IIRC.  Hannants do Sea Blue Gloss in both Xtracolour "Nevadry" (takes ages to dry in my experience) or Xtracrylix as do Sovereign Hobbies in their Colourcoats range.  Don't forget that paint fades and stains in use, particularly in maritime environments, and that no two batches are exactly the same colour.

Edited by stever219
Typo/ memory leak.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neil.C said:

I have no idea what that is and have a large amount of Humbrol cans so I'm hoping I have something that will do or will spring for something.

see 

US Navy Sea Blues cause a lot of confusion!

according to @Mike Starmer  Humbrol 181 is post war US Navy gloss sea blue,   if you have that,  problem solved.

Is it gloss?

yes, but not high gloss unless polished.

This should really in the cold war section,  

in this build

@russ c  used 15 midnight blue and added gloss black, though I's suggest  some dark blue-green as well if you have any. (or Luftwaffe blackgreen)

see also

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/06/sea-blue-vs-insignia-blue.html

Correct link added.

Edited by Troy Smith
link corrected
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

US Navy Sea Blues cause a lot of confusion!

according to @Mike Starmer  Humbrol 181 is post war US Navy gloss sea blue,   if you have that,  problem solved.

yes, but not high gloss unless polished.

see also

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2012/06/sea-blue-vs-insignia-blue.htm

That link works if you add the “l” to the end of it, i.e. html

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Delete stuff from original
  • Like 1