Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C Starfighter USAF

Hello!

This is my newest project, a cold war icon. It really brings speed to one’s mind just to look at her. Nice kit, decals ok, one or two almost were ruined when leaving the film. Another one I did it myself, with some Tamiya extra thin glue on it. I must say they didn’t go along fine…

And also, at least for me, these colorful paint schemes are way better than the boring low vis we have today.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Cheers!

Edited by George72
  • Like 51
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Oooh, now you're talkin'! 😀  What a beautiful Starfighter!!  🥃 Doncha just love saying that..."Starfighter!"    George, you nailed it sir, she is a fantastic model.

Thank you! You're right. Adding the name on the title now!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Very nice looking 104. I'm building three at the moment. I agree with you about this colourful era. I read an article years ago where a reporter was talking to an air force general and said roughly the same thing..." I miss the bright squadron markings, these grey markings are really boring". The general replied, "Better a boring aircraft than a missing one"

Edited by fubar57
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Nicely done!  Like the NMF finish on it.  What did you use for it?  Jets like this (and 84, 86, etc) looks so much cooler than newer stuff.

Thank you! I've used automotive fine aluminium and Mr Metal Color in some panels.

58 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice looking 104. I'm building three at the moment. I agree with you about this colourful era. I read an article years ago where a reporter was talking to an air force general and said roughly the same thing..." I miss the bright squadron markings, these grey markings are really boring". The general replied, "Better a boring aircraft than a missing one"

Thank you. Well, the general is right, of course. But, given the extreme range the air to air weapons work today, I almost could say visual acquisition is no longer a factor. Or, if the bird is colorful or not, for that matter.

15 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

Very nice!

Thank you!

Looks awesome! Very nice job.

I have also used Tamiya Extra Thin on decals. Did soften it up real good, practically dissolved on front of my eyes! :D Needless to say, Im keeping my Tamiya Mark Fit in a different place than the glues now...

Absolutely superb build and finish. I do like the early NM finished F-104s.

The only issue, of course, which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills as a modeller is the nature of this particular finish highlights the main fault of the original kit which is the over zealous use of rivets by the manufacturer, particularly on the wings and flying control surfaces. I always found it strange since those on the fuselage are, generally speaking, OK. Fortunately DACO have addressed the shortcomings with their excellent correction/detail set for the Hasegawa kit. 

The rivets in no way detract from the overall finish which is outstanding.

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reini said:

Looks awesome! Very nice job.

I have also used Tamiya Extra Thin on decals. Did soften it up real good, practically dissolved on front of my eyes! :D Needless to say, Im keeping my Tamiya Mark Fit in a different place than the glues now...

Thank you! True, let's keep an eye on that glue!

3 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Superb standard of building and finish, good job!

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Absolutely superb build and finish. I do like the early NM finished F-104s.

The only issue, of course, which has absolutely nothing to do with your skills as a modeller is the nature of this particular finish highlights the main fault of the original kit which is the over zealous use of rivets by the manufacturer, particularly on the wings and flying control surfaces. I always found it strange since those on the fuselage are, generally speaking, OK. Fortunately DACO have addressed the shortcomings with their excellent correction/detail set for the Hasegawa kit. 

The rivets in no way detract from the overall finish which is outstanding.

Well Done, Sir ! 

Thank you! That's true about the rivets. Unfortunately, I've only discovered that they're not supposed to be there after painting and with decals on. If I only had read about this 2 days earlier, I would have them filled. Next time, then!!

How it this correction set for the wings? 

2 hours ago, ForestFan said:

That’s a beauty!

Thank you!