P-47M Thunderbolt 1/72 Revell

Jovac

Hy friends, as the end of the year is approaching, it is time to finish the started projects. The model is probably well known to everyone, the casting is nice and I had no problems working. The P-47 is by far my favorite WWII aircraft. This is my sixth P-47, which I completed, but after the New Year we move on. Here are the pictures, enjoy.

P-47-M-Revell-2.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-4.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-5.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-6.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-7.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-8.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-9.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-10.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-11.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-12.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-13.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-15.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-19.jpg

P-47-M-Revell-22.jpg

• Like 31

Very nice build with excellent finish!

However, I can't figure out what all those random little white dots, spread around in a haphazard manner, are supposed to mean. If they're supposed to be 'weathering', I think you have to look at a lot of photos of actual planes to get an idea of how wear and tear should look. 😉

Otherwise, really good modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Very nice.

This is one of my favourite kits (in value-for-money terms, especially) so it's always nice to see other interpretations of it.

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

…..all those random little white dots.....

It's clear what you were aiming at (and I'm guessing they are silver rather than white).  To blend in the effect a little more, I strongly recommend using a silver "prismacolor" pencil to lightly apply some additional "scrapes" around panel edges and next to the bigger paint chips.

Nevertheless, I really like what you've done with it.  The P-47 is a handsome beast and well worth building six times (or more 😀).

👍👍👍

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very nice build with excellent finish!

However, I can't figure out what all those random little white dots, spread around in a haphazard manner, are supposed to mean. If they're supposed to be 'weathering', I think you have to look at a lot of photos of actual planes to get an idea of how wear and tear should look. 😉

Otherwise, really good modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you for your advice.

Best Regards Vlada.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, Jovac said:

Thank you for your advice.

Best Regards Vlada.

Hi Vlada,

Basically, weathering should be thought of as a result of cause and effect. For instance, if the aircraft has been operating in dusty or muddy field environments, the mainwheels would have thrown up dust and mud on the underside of the wings.

Helped by gravity, oil and coolant leaking from the engine would likewise be mixed with dirt and cause dark streaks from the bottom of the engine compartment and backward in the airflow. Besides, the underside of the plane is harder to get at for cleaning up - and also less visible to inspection… 🙂

Scuffing of the paintwork occurs mainly in areas where the groundcrew trample while helping the pilot strap in and, of course, during servicing. That sort of scuffing rarely goes all the way down to shiny metal, but rather to the grey etching primer underneath the paint topcoat. Likewise, some scuffing and chipping is to be expected around engine covers and gun and ammo access panels, radio hatches, and so on, especially where the ground crew would use tools to open fasteners and force stuck panels open.

Hopefully, some of these ideas can be useful. Good luck!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 4

Nice and inspiring build! Reminds me I still have a later release of this kit somewhere on my desk.. (*muffled "Lemme out!" emanating from box*)
As for the weathering; a silver pencil as mentioned by kapam or even a 4B pencil works wonders. And then just copy the wear marks from wartime photographs.

Cheers,
Luka

Hi Vlada,

beautifully built and very realistically painted. 

@Spitfire31 is absolutely right when it comes to paint chipping and weathering. The former can quickly be overdone.

But it is still a great Thunderbolt!!!

Well done

JR