Accurate Miniatures 1/48 A-36

BlueNosers352nd

I have taken to wearing gloves when handling models, either latex when painting or cotton for general handling.  Usually only on my left hand (I’m right handed) as it can be difficult to hold small parts or paint brushes while wearing a glove.

AW

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You guys are gonna have to wait to see this one finished in the regular completed builds section of the forum.....not going to make it.  Probably could get this done if I didn't want any weathering, but that is not what I want.   Week in Spain killed my momentum.  Struggling with stars/bars on the P-51B build almost makes me want to take everything out in the yard and light it on fire.  The 3 models I've built since trying to come back to the hobby have been very frustrating in one form or another.........with a lot of it revolving around decals.

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Struggling with stars/bars on the P-51B build almost makes me want to take everything out in the yard and light it on fire.  The 3 models I've built since trying to come back to the hobby have been very frustrating in one form or another.........with a lot of it revolving around decals

We all have our Demon kit(s), its best to just set it aside and go back when your ready. Wait until either your skills have gotten better or materials have improved. Don't destroy them as its not worth it.

• Like 1

Ohhh just had an idea... You say you're having issue’s with decals. Go buy a couple super cheap kits at the local Hobby-lobby they have a 40% coupon online just snap a screen shot or print it out. Then build the kit and spray a single color on it. Clear coat the model and use them as practice mules for decals. You can respray and clear multiple times and just keep practicing with scrap decals. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

And the hits keep on coming.....

Whole thing clear coated after decaling prior to my Spain trip, so be sitting there for what.....almost 2 weeks.  Attempted oil dot filters and let that dry before clear coating.  Nothing affected by that.  Now spray a coat of clear on to do some more stuff and bam!   Only spot that did this!

Clear after decals would of been Tamiya Gloss thinned with Mr Leveling Thinner.   This coat was Tamiya Semi Gloss with Mr Leveling Thinner.  I'm guessing it's a reaction from the thinner.  Maybe too heavy.  After the initial coat I came back about 45 mins later and did another coat over the decals as the edges weren't hiding for diddly. 

Like I said, guessing to heavy of an additional coat and the thinner is reacting some how.  Not sure I can get this off easily.  Hmmmm......what to do.

49653261266_b1977e7cc4_b.jpg

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Like I said, guessing to heavy of an additional coat and the thinner is reacting some how.  Not sure I can get this off easily.  Hmmmm......what to do.

Had the same thing happen on my latest FW 190 build with the reich defense bands. Wait till its dry and take a pencil, Glue a little square or round of Sandpaper. Id think about 1200 or 1500 Wet/Dry should do it. Sand the ridges and then touch up with white paint. Easy Breezy   

• Like 1

Since this STGB is just about to come to a close, I thought I'd share a pic of where the A-36A stands.  Although these replacement stars/bars didn't give me any fits, I'm not sure if the carrier film will ever disappear.  I believe they were from an older Superscale sheet.

49659278948_1a94710784_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

She is up on her legs.  One of the canopy pieces is being repainted, then I can wrap up the fiddly bits and be done finally.  Gonna be a 6' model.........looks decent from 6' away.  Some blemishes I didn't feel like addressing...............just want to be done with it.  Once it's in the cabinet, nobody will see it.

SIDE QUESTION:  Did the A-36 have a under wing Pitot Probe?  Kit has one, but did the A-36 have one?  If so, where?  D&S or Walk Around kinda leaves me guessing.

49705378012_1cb0f059eb_c.jpg

49704526703_079d597c58_c.jpg

• Like 3

The A-36 has what has been commonly nicknamed a 'spear' pitot probe, out on the leading edge of the starboard/right wing.  I think I see the mounting hole on the wing leading edge for it on your model.  There should be an appropriate part on the sprues, although the original AM instructions still show the placement of the incorrect underwing 'L' pitot head, whilst the AM markings/decal instructions show it with the correct type of pitot head.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColFord said:

The A-36 has what has been commonly nicknamed a 'spear' pitot probe, out on the leading edge of the starboard/right wing.  I think I see the mounting hole on the wing leading edge for it on your model.  There should be an appropriate part on the sprues, although the original AM instructions still show the placement of the incorrect underwing 'L' pitot head, whilst the AM markings/decal instructions show it with the correct type of pitot head.

I have that one, just haven't installed it yet.  Was referring to the one under the wing like the B's have.  I'm assuming not, since I don't have one in the box, nor see it in my D&S/Walkaround books.