Accurate Miniatures 1/48 A-36

BlueNosers352nd

Ok, call me crazy...........but I am going to dive in with #2 for this GB.  What am I thinking? 🤪

Accurate Miniatures A-36 with a few extra bits. 

- Kit cockpit, other than seat.

- Ultracast Early Seat has two in the package so I will just use that for the seat.  That way I don't have to mess with PE belts.

- Superscale's 48-1090 sheet. (Ebay)  -  Not sure which bird yet, maybe #3.

- Quickboost Exhausts (Ebay)

- Quickboost Gun Barrels (Ebay)

I'll at least get the interior worked up but may have to halt their until I get back from Vacation in Arizona because of Ebay stuff.

Decal sheet

49238759258_6aff24a9bc_o.jpg

• Like 5

Ack Patrice, PLEASE don't bring that Apache malarky into this Group Build!!!!

BlueNoser, (makes you sound Canadian) Now I'm going to feel responsible.  Good thing about A-36s is that you can weather and put little mission markers all over the darn things...

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

BlueNoser, (makes you sound Canadian) Now I'm going to feel responsible.  Good thing about A-36s is that you can weather and put little mission markers all over the darn things...

Yeah, here I was minding my own business and bam!  Idea put into my head!  You'd think someone put free liquor in front of my face the way I jumped in!

THANKS A LOT! 😆

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Ack Patrice, PLEASE don't bring that Apache malarky into this Group Build!!!!

Good afternoon Bob

You mean something like this ?

https://search.aol.com/aol/image?p=a-36+apache+images&s_it=img-ans&v_t=webmail-searchbox&fr=webmail-searchbox&imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F8%2F81%2FA-36_%22Apache%22_of_the_27th_Fighter_Bomber_Group.jpg%2F220px-A-36_%22Apache%22_of_the_27th_Fighter_Bomber_Group.jpg#id=159&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fraf-112-squadron.org%2Fimages%2FApache_284071.jpg&action=click

I have the Condor Mpm 1/72 kit in my stash

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/condor-mpm-c72016-a-36a-apache--112134

and I could try to build it unless I save it for the MTO GB

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

Exactly.  I like the ones that snake down the length of the fuselage- definitely "non-standard" presentation, not that there was any "standard".  And note the color shot of the postwar one just down- with Merlin style radiator housing.

• Like 1

Cockpit is done on the A-36.  Tamiya Dark Green 2 was the color of choice.  Ultracast resin seat, early version.   On hold for a bit until the Quickboost gun barrels arrive (somewhere in the mail world).  The assembly of the cockpit just seems odd to me.  Might be a little finicky on those two pieces towards the aft.

49255835712_556eb70066_c.jpg

A-36 Cockpit Complete by Jim Fox, on Flickr

49255835702_5a26ce0a1d_c.jpg

49255643946_a029eddd74_c.jpg

• Like 8

Don't forget to add some seat back armour.  One of the things AM forgot to include in all their Allison and Merlin engined Mustang kits is the sheet of armour between the back of the seat frame and 'stuff' behind the cockpit.  Something fairly easy to replicate with a suitable shaped thin piece of plasticard.  The dangers of model manufacturers using restored or preserved examples in museums where normally standard items have been removed, or if the aircraft preserved was never used operationally, never fitted.  The alignment of the 'stuff' behind the cockpit in the AM Mustangs takes some fettling and fiddling to get them to sit properly and level.  Was one of the poor areas of their moulding design. 

UPDATE: Knew I had picture/diagram of armour plate somewhere.  Now attached.

49257209622_75f470350f_c.jpgP51Armour by Colin Ford, on Flickr

Edited by ColFord
Typo
  • Like 4

Sweet!  I was gonna respond today and ask if you had any references for it as I hadn't found any yet.  Probably have a True Details in the stash I could of ref'd.  Assume this just mounts behind the seat/support bar structure.  Thanks again!

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
removed quote since it was such a bother.....sigh

23 hours ago, Ratch said:

Is there any need to quote that post immediately above yours. Surely we can work out who you're replying to without having to look at the picture twice.

Quite rightly the site discourages quoting of pictures if you are going to quote a post as it just fills threads up with un-necessary pictures.

Quoting and Pictures...

Quoting a post and repeating all of the pictures is annoying when scrolling through a thread, especially for those members using tablets or smart phones.  If you are going to quote a post, please remove the repeated photos, its the polite thing to do.

Julien

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Quickboost gun barrels in, installed and now starting to seal up the fuselage.  One last shot before it's closed up.  (Hmmm, I made an armor plate before going to Arizona for Christmas vaca........where'd I put that?)

49375498296_eb52ff303c_c.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but surely getting there.  Work on this one (and the other GB mustang) have been slow going.  Some of it is apprehension to diving into painting (I always stall at this point).   Also waiting for a new compressor to show up Monday (old one works but is dying).  Some of it is also back pain.  Been doing IT stuff for what 27/28 yrs and my back is jacked.   L4/L5 are basically shifting.  Can't sit at a computer chair too long, or on the couch.  I need to modify my workbench.  I use a standup desk at work with a tall drafting chair.   So I guess my model bench needs to be redone higher.  Heck, sometimes laying on the couch makes it sore.  Seems to go in streaks too, more pain that not on the streaks though.   Enough about that.

Progress has been made.  It's about ready for paint.  Didn't like the fit of the center cockpit glass piece.   Something is off somewhere so I decided to get crazy and cut up the glass to pose it open like the Tamiya kit has the option for.  Used the skinniest saw blade I had.  It's probably off a tad but so be it.  Besides, I put that Ultracast seat in there, hate to hide it. Hopefully that all turns out ok.

PS:  I hate masking canopies. 

Progress shot....

49445253078_6095b8a4a9_z.jpg

I also have landed on a final scheme from the Superscale sheet.  This Apache from the 524th FBS with over 150 missions.

49445923782_e9011a3a1e_z.jpg

Found a B&W photo of her in one of my many Mustang books.  Should be interesting to try and some crazy weathering on her.  Would be a test bed as I haven't tried any of the techniques seen out there yet.

49445701716_1a524111e7_z.jpg

Wrong image url
  • Like 9

Ok, first ever test run chipping paint.  Don't think it looks too bad.   First was going to use Vallejo chipping medium.  Read one review saying they mixed with about 30% water.  Thought that was too little.  Got it probably more like 60% water, tested it and thought it still was too pebbly.  So I cleaned the airbrush and got out the cheap hairspray.  By the time I was ready for that, the Vallejo had leveled out and was smooth.   Ran the hairspray through the airbrush, misted a couple light coats on (which almost dry instantly) and let it set for a while.  Came back and sprayed some Tamiya OD with Mr Leveling thinner.  Let that dry for a while and hit it with a brush.  I was surprised how easy it comes off.  Seems like all the videos I've watched it takes a little more work.   If you have any thoughts or think I need to change things up, let me know.

Tooth pick even popped off the paint pretty easy.

49485834832_15dd8ce4ac_z.jpg

• Like 2

It's off to the paint shop for the A-36!  Had these stencils (Picture 1) for a little bit as I saw someone use them over the top of the painting to add a weathered effect.  Then just recently saw a post somewhere where the guy did this prior to painting instead of spending a lot of time doing a gabillion squiggles.  So I said, what the heck let's try this.  Mixed up Tamiya White and Tamiya Sand, maybe 65/35 and thinned it quite heavily.  Was thinking sand would help a little with the underside.  But in reality I am not sure how much of the sand shows.   I ended up adding a bit more paint as it was too thin.   I think it turned out pretty good........I'm happy with the effect.  Need to work on keeping in close to the model for stronger effect.

The model had been primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 black and misted with a coat of Mr Leveling Thinner and the left over dribble of Mr Surfacer in the cup.

49493843953_2a0a5618fa_c.jpg

I would say the contrast between the mottling and the gray is harsher in the pic than in person.

49493843843_d336672ebf_c.jpg

Changed pic size.
  • Like 6

Got the OD on last night, but in the end I got a little heavy handed over the mottling effect.  Can still see it in a few spots on the fuselage, but the wings are pretty much over done and hide it.  Not much done on it today though, had fun in the snow instead.  Did manage to get the strip on he tail.   Hopefully some more time on it tomorrow.

One thing I definitely need to work on is while holding it to mask things, I am notorious for leaving scuff marks, I think from my fingernails.  :wall:

49508103471_d4e60740f8_c.jpg

• Like 5