Fokker DXXI kit whats the best ?

AltcarBoB

I am thinking about my next kit for when I finish off my Handley Page Sparrow and I really fancy a Fokker DXXI. I would like to build examples of the European 2nd Division powers fighter aircraft that were built or designed pre-war in small numbers like the DXXI and Koolhaven FK58 or only as prototypes like the Polish PZL 50.

So my question I have seen a few kits but whats the best kit and whats the best scale I am veering to 1/48 but will happily build 1/72. No Vacuform but happy to build Resin. I am also happy to build prototype DXXIs like the Finnish retractable U/C version or the proposed Dutch Bristol Hercules/RR Merlin engine versions which I think only flew as paper planes.

What a gorgeous sturdy beast

spacer.png

Edited by AltcarBoB
bad smelling
  • Like 3

I had made the old FROG kit decades before:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/15993287016/in/photolist-RFCMV3-qtazHD-qngM2S-e5M72B-dBJLB2

I think it's alittle bit better than the PM kit.

The PZL 50 is a rare kit,

don't know where you can find someone.

Here is my once:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/16140216416/in/photolist-DykBMc-qkYU4S-qAfQ2o-qAfMFm-qm6kXx-dcQD1Y

modelldoc

There was a limited edition Silver Wings resin in 1/32 in about 2014, which I have never actually seen in person but which is probably all three of: lovely, really expensive and unicorn-rare on the second-hand market. 

That apart, the best kit is probably the Classic Airframes / Special Hobby one in 1/48, and I see that KingKit has one in stock at the moment for £29.99, which seems pretty reasonable to me, so you might want to get in before I buy it for myself! 

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/classic-airframes-aircraft-1-48-401-fokker-dxxi

I agree it's an interesting and handsome aeroplane.

Edited by Work In Progress

Special Hobby?
Several boxings, 1:48, decent, injection moulded kits.

y4mQG0wp4FOW248auAZwam7Kn4NiJeGdVy7e7CN5

I can get some sprue shots if you like, haven't unwrapped mine yet.

also:

https://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-f/vliegtuigen-f-fokker-d21

Dutch IMPS charter with info and kit assessment at the bottom and SH preferred.

Edited by alt-92
box art
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

There was a limited edition Silver Wings resin in 1/32 in about 2014, which I have never actually seen in person but which is probably all three of: lovely, really expensive and unicorn-rare on the second-hand market. 

That apart, the best kit is probably the Classic Airframes / Special Hobby one in 1/48, and I see that KingKit has one in stock at the moment for £29.99, which seems pretty reasonable to me, so you might want to get in before I buy it for myself! 

https://www.kingkit.co.uk/product/classic-airframes-aircraft-1-48-401-fokker-dxxi

I agree it's an interesting and handsome aeroplane.

The one at kingkit is a old version with a vacform canopy, if you go for a 1/48 take the last edition of this kit as it has a perfect injection molded canopy....

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/fokker-d21-dutch-and-danish--back-in-stock-sh48181-special-hobby-8594071085629-nederlands-militair/product/?action=prodinfo&art=140028

Cheers, Jan

2 hours ago, modelldoc said:

I had made the old FROG kit decades before:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/15993287016/in/photolist-RFCMV3-qtazHD-qngM2S-e5M72B-dBJLB2

I think it's alittle bit better than the PM kit.

The two kits are virtually identical but there is one important difference. For some reason the PM kit which is very near clone of the Frog has longer u/c legs as they are moulded with the leg in the extended flight position.

To replicate how the D XXI looked on the ground you have to cut a section out of leg above the wheel covers.

Overall both are rather primitive and you really have to rely on a lot of optical illusions if you want to replicate the interior framing behind the seat as the canopies are very thick.    

• Like 2

A nice choice of subject. They really are a purposeful looking fighter aren’t they?

In 1/72 I started the MPM/Special Hobby (I cant remember which branch of the organisation it is under) Danish version some years ago.

I was impressed; the kit even includes an extra set of Danish style wings.

Its unfinished, but not through lack of enthusiasm.

I also built the PM model one around 13 years ago when I returned to the hobby for the second time. I thoroughly enjoyed it; a quick and well fitting build.

Zero cockpit detail and I think that I replaced the very thick cockpit canopy with a vac-form one. That may have been made by Pavla for the Special hobby kit, but with a little fettling, it did fit.

At the time details were vague on the possibility of a prototype being sent to Spain, perhaps remaining there; parts being shipped there for licence production, but only perhaps one, if any aircraft, flown during the civil war by the Spanish.

There is more information than that available now, plus a resin ‘Spanish’ conversion set for the 1/72 kits, complete with transfers and the oft seen possible appearance of that aircraft, plus a few educated‘what ifs’.

Some have suggested that this conversion set needs a little work around the cowl area. I’m inclined to agree with them.

However; it was fun cobbling together one with the PM kit, an aftermarket canopy and the Kora conversion set. It looked rather impressive for 1/72 with Bold red bands on the wings.

The number of Finnish options available by Special hobby is amazing. I like the ones with more visibity friendly canopies; to the rear, and skis. That would be one for a list to Santa for sure 🎅 🙏 

I love 1/48, but have never had Suitable display space for the scale, so can’t advise there.

Do please share your choice and build with us.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Nice topic !

I build a 1/48 from scratch, years ago, simple because I could not find a Kit-model. Now I would go for a Special Hobby kit, it has some minor issues, bu fortunately there is much information aviable, otherwise I will be glad to answer any questions. 

I will place some photographs in the "Ready for inspection "section.

With kind regards

JohnHaa

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

In both 1/48 and 1/72 cearly MPM/Special Hobby. In 1/72 Twin Wasp is more accurate than the Mercury-powered versions. Ans it needs a shim between fuselage halves on top to get the canopy fitting neat - it is wider than the fuselage without a little help.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a lot of googling I have decided to go for a 1/72 MPM kit of the Danish version. I was so so tempted by the 1/48 kit but I am really stuck for display space and I think I will be sticking to 1/72 kits for the forseeable. It should be arriving this weekend and I will be doing a work in progress thread which I have found to be very helpful during my two previous builds.

I went for the Danish version for several reasons rarity was one reason and I like the look of the big Madsen cannon in underwing pods. Thirdly I wanted to do a silver/Aluminium paint job something which I have shied away from in the past. I am also going to try a Canopy painting mask not sure wether to get the Peewit or Edouard version I will need to do some research.

Edited by AltcarBoB

Altcar,

If you're going to do the DXXI in 1/72 scale, I agree with what the others have said about the Frog and Special Hobby kits- I have built the Frog kit and have all of the Special Hobby kits; the Frog kit can be made into a very nice model with a new prop and engine, a scratchbuilt interior, and making a new carb and oil cooler intake and exhaust, none of which is very difficult. That being said, Special Hobby do all of the variants, including the ski-equipped versions, and those with the extended canopy, and even the one-off that had a retractable undercart! It is such a handsome and pugnacious-looking little spud, and you can't beat Finnish colors and markings! The PM kit isn't worth getting. Can't wait to see yours!

Mike

• 1 month later...