Spitfire MkVIII, 152 Sq. RAF, Mingaladon Field, Burma. 1945

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Obviously I couldn`t see the underside,.....and yes,... it looks superb,...... but I was reflecting on the upper surfaces really,....... blokes with muddy boots on leave quite a bit of mud on the wings,...... many Spits had a cloth strip with wooden strips let into it like a ladder applied to the wing root on the ground to prevent too much wear and tear on the wing roots. I did also say that it was a superb model!

Cheers

Tony 

No hard feelings at all! Hope I didn't come off as defensive. That's cool to know about the ladder thing. Might be another good detail to incorporate into future builds

8 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Oh, you should have seen the amount of mud I used to have to clean off the underneath of my Yak after flying it off a wet and fairly worn grass airfield in winter. Not excessive at all behind the wheels. I would hope that they would wipe it off before sending it off on its next mission, but that's perfectly credible for after landing / taxi-ing in a muddy environment. A huge amount gets thrown off by the wheels 

Thanks, that's good to know. I've never spent any time around real aircraft (except of course as a commercial passenger) so I guess at all of this stuff, best add I can infer from photos! 

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Absolutely fantastic. The attention to detail is incredible. 

Pete

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Absolutely stunning diorama, the mud looks incredible and the cloth on the windscreen finishes it off :)

Thank you both! I was pleased as a modeller but upset as a user to see that the fiber structure of cheap TP looks exactly like a scale canvas tarp!

Dioramas are so much better when the modeler gives attention to the smaller details that are around the main feature. Yours looks great!

Hope I could do one as well done as this one.

Todders

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Todders said:

Dioramas are so much better when the modeler gives attention to the smaller details that are around the main feature. Yours looks great!

Hope I could do one as well done as this one.

Todders

Thank you for the kind words. This is my first one, so I'm sure you can do as good or better!

An absolutley outstanging build and vignette.  Beautiful paint work and detail.  I've always really liked the Spit VIII and the SEAC markings.  Working in those conditions, during and after the monsoon had broken, must have been Hell.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2019 at 6:35 AM, Meatbox8 said:

An absolutley outstanging build and vignette.  Beautiful paint work and detail.  I've always really liked the Spit VIII and the SEAC markings.  Working in those conditions, during and after the monsoon had broken, must have been Hell.

Thank you.  I found the idea of this hard and unglamorous posting in Burma so interesting. Seemed like a great topic for a dio.

• Like 1