Spitfire MkVIII, 152 Sq. RAF, Mingaladon Field, Burma. 1945

Here is my latest completion, about 6 months' worth of effort in total. Tamiya 1/32 kit with some 1/35 figures, mostly from the Tamiya reboxing of the Italieri german field maintenance set.  I've made a little vignette with a couple of figures before, but I would consider this project to be my first proper diorama. I maintained my work in progress thread over on LSP. I'm not sure of the rules here for linking to other forums, so I'll leave it off. Thanks for looking, comments and criticisms welcome!

20191216_204354.jpg

20191216_204406.jpg

20191216_204424.jpg

20191216_204435.jpg

20191216_204445.jpg

20191216_204507.jpg

20191216_204536.jpg

20191216_204629.jpg

20191216_204651.jpg

• Like 64
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Bstarr3 said:

I maintained my work in progress thread over on LSP. I'm not sure of the rules here for linking to other forums,

It's relevant, I don't think it's a problem, but just ask the mods if in doubt.

Great bit of work, like that you get the prop blades chipping, just in the leading edge metal sheathing. 

20191216_204406.jpg

for comparison

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpgSpitfire maintenance by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

One observation/suggestion, add a bit of mud to the compressor wheels,  it looks very clean for a muddy airfield

A really great bit of work,  carefully observed and executed.   :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

It's relevant, I don't think it's a problem, but just ask the mods if in doubt.

Great bit of work, like that you get the prop blades chipping, just in the leading edge metal sheathing. 

20191216_204406.jpg

for comparison

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpgSpitfire maintenance by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

One observation/suggestion, add a bit of mud to the compressor wheels,  it looks very clean for a muddy airfield

A really great bit of work,  carefully observed and executed.   :goodjob:

Thanks for the comments and the tip. The compressor is just sort of resting on the surface, so I had focused on mud at the bottom of the wheel to make it look sunk in. I hadn't though about adding some mud all around. I'll go back over it. I've also added a matte coat to the boulder since taking these pics 

12 hours ago, Vinnie said:

What a great looking dio. You can almost hear the mud squelching underfoot.

11 hours ago, sprue said:

superb

10 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A superbly conceived and rendered illustration of "keep 'em flying"!

[email protected]

Thanks!  

11 hours ago, Doc72 said:

Wonderful diorama! The Spitfire is very well done, but also the mud is very convincing. What did you use for the water and wet effects?

The mud is real dirt and sand from my back yard, mixed with water and white glue.  A couple layers of MRP clear gloss sprayed over the whole thing, and then Vallejo gloss medium for extra wetness in places.  With the large puddle, I realized that gloss medium does not dry clear if you make a big puddle of it, so I just painted a light translucent brown layer over the milky dried gloss. Turned out perfect! I've heard good things about Vallejo still water, and will probably try that for a next diorama. 

• Like 1

Very nice indeed,...... my only criticism is that on such a muddy dispersal, with men working on it,...... the aircraft looks surprisingly clean,......even the tyres. Also,.... the prop blades were not metal,..... they just had thin copper/brass leading edge plates,...... so the worn paint behind the blades showing silver metal chipping is incorrect. The blades were wooden with thin plastic Jablo covering.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

This is proper fun to look at, so much great detail that I pick something new out of it every time I scroll through the pictures.  I think the ground looks amazing, so realistic and messy!  And while all the big interest things (toolbox, maintenance carts, etc) draw the eye, I think you did an amazing job on the subtle details like the weathering of the aircraft.  I think the paint job/weathering is fantastic.  Thanks for sharing! :)

Mik

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed,...... my only criticism is that on such a muddy dispersal, with men working on it,...... the aircraft looks surprisingly clean,......even the tyres. Also,.... the prop blades were not metal,..... they just had thin copper/brass leading edge plates,...... so the worn paint behind the blades showing silver metal chipping is incorrect. The blades were wooden with thin plastic Jablo covering.

Cheers

Tony

I thought I dirtied it up perhaps even a bit too much

20191113_112759.jpg

20191113_112805.jpg

20191113_112822.jpg

Thanks for the tip about the prop. Too late to do anything about it now, obviously, but I honestly learned something new that I'll remember for next time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikQuattro said:

This is proper fun to look at, so much great detail that I pick something new out of it every time I scroll through the pictures.  I think the ground looks amazing, so realistic and messy!  And while all the big interest things (toolbox, maintenance carts, etc) draw the eye, I think you did an amazing job on the subtle details like the weathering of the aircraft.  I think the paint job/weathering is fantastic.  Thanks for sharing! :)

Mik

Thanks a lot! Very kind of you. My favorite small detail is the overturned pail with water spilling out of it

9 hours ago, Bstarr3 said:

Oh, you should have seen the amount of mud I used to have to clean off the underneath of my Yak after flying it off a wet and fairly worn grass airfield in winter. Not excessive at all behind the wheels. I would hope that they would wipe it off before sending it off on its next mission, but that's perfectly credible for after landing / taxi-ing in a muddy environment. A huge amount gets thrown off by the wheels 

10 hours ago, Bstarr3 said:

20191113_112759.jpg

20191113_112805.jpg

20191113_112822.jpg

Thanks for the tip about the prop. Too late to do anything about it now, obviously, but I honestly learned something new that I'll remember for next time

Obviously I couldn`t see the underside,.....and yes,... it looks superb,...... but I was reflecting on the upper surfaces really,....... blokes with muddy boots on leave quite a bit of mud on the wings,...... many Spits had a cloth strip with wooden strips let into it like a ladder applied to the wing root on the ground to prevent too much wear and tear on the wing roots. I did also say that it was a superb model!

Cheers

Tony