As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Redboost

Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia" 1/72 Clear Prop

Hello fellow modellers,

this is my recently finished Clear Prop kit. In past years I somehow ignored the Japanese subjects,  except excellent Tamiya or Model Graphic A6M's, but this year this my third Japanese kit so obviously something has changed:-) Yes, that was the entry of the Clear Prop kits on the market, which quickly jumped in my personal ranking on the top amongst 1/72 manufacturers. The level of details and moulding quality is simply amazing.

This Ki-51 builds nicely and perhaps some of the smallest etched details are redundant, even in the plastic they look sufficient. I tried to model one of the machines operated in China with 6th Hikosentai.

Built out of the box except the canopy masks which I replaced for Dead Design product as those in the kit are rather thick and not very precise - at least something what could be improved. Looking forward now for their next WWII fighter kit!

P.S. A big thanks to Valerij!

Cheers,

Libor

49234406202_f6caecd52a_c.jpg

49233716233_3d83d78421_c.jpg

49233716248_fd7d67d8b8_c.jpg

49233716153_988c7dfcc7_c.jpg

49234406302_ae0957fe6a_c.jpg

49234177761_2345388609_c.jpg

Looks like a lovely kit, beautifully built. Great job!

Wulfman

Very nice Sonia! Looks like the Clear Prop kit is far superior to the old Mania/Hasegawa kit, but pretty pricey for those of us on the wrong side of the pond!

Mike

Another exquisite little model - beautifully built and finished. Attractive type too!

Cheers

Malcolm

Looks great. I always wondering how these kits would build, now I know!

Cheers

Brilliant build.  I had not heard of "Clear Prop" until very recently.

You sure have done an excellent job on that.

:clap:

Lovely build, always liked the Ki-51. I was just about finished my 1/72 Hasegawa Sonia when the Clear Props kit hit the market. Was tempted to buy the new one but my build was for nostalgia reasons.

Could easily pass for 1:48th – impressive treatment of what is apparently a super kit.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Brilliant job on the Sonia, Libor! I shall have to look out for what else Clear Prop come out with.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thanks chaps, it is really brilliant kit. I admit it is pricey, in my region between 20-25 EUR, what is for instance above usual Eduard Profipak kit of this size, but in my opinion the delta is worth the money.

Jason: you will be excited with that new kit, I bet! 😁

Cheers

Libor

Very attractive, this Ki-51, in its subtle camouflage livery and with the red markings only. It would be hard to beat even in 1/48.

My personal interest in Japanese aircraft is limited. Very limited.

But, whatever you do, Libor - it turns into an absolute show-stopper!

Christmas Greetings from Vienna!

Lovely build; reminds me that I still have to get myself my own Ki 51. Also, I didn't know the brand, so thanks for the heads-up too.

You've done a great job! Japanese aircraft from the early Pacific campaigns are one of my favorites! Just recently read a book where the author called the Sonia the A-10 Warthog of the Japanese Airforce. 

Well done!

Paul

Beautiful build as usual Libor. As like you, I seldom build Japanese subjects however I've always planned to build the Ki 51 since the RAAF operated one as a hack.and I've got a Hasegawa (Mania) kit reserved however I'll be keen to try a Clear Prop kit so this will be a good opportunity.

Cheers

Michael