1/16 Minicraft - Ford Model A Delivery Van

Cooper645

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Good colour on the engine Coops, did you mix it or is it a standard colour?

Its Vallejo range - 3 parts pale green (71.008) to 1 part olive green (71.007)

Turns out to be a close match to the current engine colour on British Armoured Vehicles

• Like 1

To update and simply remind myself, the spokes on the model A are apparently 1/4” in diameter According to a company that deals with them.

Scaled down and converted to 1/16 means I’ll be needing 0.396mm spokes (0.4 it is then). I think I will source some fishing line which should do the job and make a simple jig. Although the front and back of the wheel are spoked differently 🙄

I think that this will be where I turn my attention to once the engine is progressing well. 

coops

• Like 1

17 hours ago, s.e.charles said:

if it's not terribly inconvenient, could you post progress pictures once the wheel lacing begins?

it's one of my hobby goals for 2020, but the first try will be in 1:25 scale. thanks

Absolutely, I watched a video on it so I think that now makes me an expert 😂

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening all and a happy new year to everyone.

The Christmas break didn't provide too much free time and now I am back at work, I'm getting the time in the shed every man needs again.

Due to a week away hill walking next week, there will be no updates through the week, but fear not, there is some progress to mention.

The front pulleys and belt are all painted and the lower pulley is glued in place, the belt will receive the final fitting once the superglue has fully cured.

Other little bits have been painted and smaller rods not included in the kit have been made.

The distributor cap is now in place and some little detail work on the strips connecting the plugs to the dizzy are complete. Can't really call them HT leads as they're not 'leads', just wire.

Other little elements are also in place as can be seen with a nice simple one picture update.

mHSirAcluhg7xWz_8AiNNNnFi27CtGBqiaNj15Nh

Thanks for checking in on the small progress made and I hope that you stick around for more.  I'll try to make the next update more substantial.....somehow

Coops

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more time spent this and along with building and painting a wiring loom completely wrong (now replaced)  I have made a bit more progress.

A lot of dry fitting required with the additional wiring looms, but its good to see progress.

KaLwqBqkeVUcJNZqSLvpjRxb5CGCIF-KBKVnn5Zv

UZNtwpCBQBinj6yfQNnNYg3IJ1_4SxkVJN-5Af9n

CywwTLKY2Qnr4CFN0heIu0Tx0QaDyh3CoYWLiV8a

Some final elements to finish and weather but that's about it for now on the engine.

I have started prepping the drive shaft, rear diff and axles, and have removed parts for 1 x Wheel from the sprue.

I need to have a think about a method to improve the kit wheels.  I'll get a picture of them up with the next update.

Coops

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So a little update. I had a go at one of the wheels. I’m fairly happy with it and learned some things along the way which should help me develop the next 4 wheels.

i started out by removing the components for one wheel and spending some time thinking the process through in my head.

spacer.png

I have some tube and pins that I got for restoring dinky toys which seem to be the appropriate size to upgrade the plastic pins supplied.

I removed the spokes and joined the outer rims and centre hub

spacer.png

I also used a spoke calculator program to easily knock up the template which saved getting the protractor out

spacer.png

Then I transferred the points to a piece of MDF and drilled and pinned. 

the rim and hub was marked and drilled with a 0.4mm bit. 60 holes in total for one wheel.

firstly I laced and then tightened and centred the hub with the crossed spikes at the rear of the wheel.

spacer.png

Then the front was laced and cleaned up. The centre still needs the middle trimming down but I ran out of time

spacer.png

and the end result looks something like below. Not to the same quality as others on here but I’m happy with it as a first attempt and fingers crossed I can improve on the it for the rest. 

spacer.png

any comments or advice is welcomed.

(wheel also not painted yet)

have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by.

Coops

• Like 8

Doesn't look too bad at all for a first go, I'd say. Looks like the wires should be a little tighter so they are more straight, maybe also the angle of the holes you drill could be of help?

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Doesn't look too bad at all for a first go, I'd say. Looks like the wires should be a little tighter so they are more straight, maybe also the angle of the holes you drill could be of help?

Yup, this is one of the lessons I was on about. It was difficult to tension them due to the angle putting a restriction on them. I’m also thinking about sinking a nylock nut in the wood and using bolts with a hole trough to tighten and tension. 

I may try a different way of achieving the spoke pattern. As I think I can lace straight across the hub and wheel with opposing spokes which will eliminate the need to have any bends at all. 

Hi Coops

I watched a YouTube vid by flymanhm  and he has a great way to spoke that might help.  Glue the rim but not the hub then remove the spokes from one side at the rim.  The hub is in the right location.  Might be helpful?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ok, to update everyone who was following this build, fear not.

There was a slight pause due to work commintments meaning i haven't been at home, but with the COVID-19 situation, i'm starting to get some good shed time.

I have managed to get the front wing fixed, i have decided to go for the no spare wheel option.

A few other parts for the body are now removed from the sprue and test fitted along with the bulk head, and running boards.

There is currently not a lot more i can do at the moment, save for those wire wheels, which i don't have the heart to tend to currently (but will by the end) as i am waiting for a chap in New Zealand to get back to me with some reference photos.  I have finally decided upon a livery but can only find limited reference photos online.

The livery i have decided upon is....

MvJXv3ugwOBYxVCa_4IYgcBd3HGHJKEaT4WHHqCf

With a new kit inbound and a short build window for it, this project will remain on pause for what i hope to be only a short time.

Cheers for keeping up with the progress,

Coops

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

Right fellow BMers. On the back of the last wheel deflating me, I put this build aside, but am now back looking at it. as @s.e.charles stated, it turned out to be an individual wire spokes job in then end.

Here is the result of 3 hours, nipping out pairs of spokes, drilling and individually replacing them. The advantage of this is that the y now have nipples. They still need some gentle scaling down but I feel the finished result will be worth it. 1 wheel down, 3 to go............

ACtC-3e-F0NV6HVWJo29dE8k1o86kJCJUSXF4Hbz

Side by side with V1....

ACtC-3cZ1Hc7SDMd5RKEQPjMEAbm2brqSaUQWy9u

Thanks for looking in if your still following this slow progress.

Coops

• Like 6