Lockheed F-104A Starfighter

An earlier build (early 1990s) and only photographed fairly recently at the Cameron Airport, the Testors 1/48 F-104A Starfighter is a very basic, simple old model.   Originally, it was a Hawk release from 1957.  I love these birds and really, how can one go wrong with a type named "Starfighter"?  Is that not just the coolest name ever for a jet?  😀

The rudimentary landing gear was given some much-needed detail and I used the pilot figure to add a bit of interest to an otherwise bare cockpit. The horizontal stabilizer and brake doors were covered with Baremetal foil. The kit decals were used. Several different NMF paints were used but it's been so long since I built the plane I really don't remember. Here's another look at scale models from the really distant past.    A quick comparison of this kit with today's great new offerings reveals how far plastic scale model kits have come.   Thanks for your interest in this old warbird! 

port%20full.jpg

overhead%20good.jpg

full%20SB.jpg

port%20from%20front.jpg

overhead%201.jpg

port%20rear%20closeup.jpg

port%20front%20closeup.jpg

overhead%20good%202.jpg

SB%20full%20from%20rear.jpg

port%20rear%20three%20quarter%201.jpg

• Like 23

48 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Nice job on such an old kit

1957.  Can you imagine the state of model building art at that time?!?   Yeah, we've come a long way and quick look around any scale modeling forum will confirm that.   Still, there is a charm to the old kits and a challenge too isn't there?   Thanks for your comment F-32! :D   She doesn't look all that bad, if one squints just right, for such an ancient piece of styrene.   Just don't park a new kit beside her...:whistle:

Hi Grant, can't see your photos, saying you have moved or deleted them, or is it just Photobolux playing silly buggers again. I'd really recommend using a different photo hosting site if possible, PB just aren't worth the hassle nowadays.

Steve.

58 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Grant, can't see your photos, saying you have moved or deleted them, or is it just Photobolux playing silly buggers again. I'd really recommend using a different photo hosting site if possible, PB just aren't worth the hassle nowadays.

Steve.

Steve, I'm hoping it's just a PB issue as I can't even get it to open at present.   I do have a premium account so that shouldn't be an issue.    I guess I have between 3500-4000 pics hosted there.  It wouldn't be practical to move them all and kill so many older links out there around the web.   Perhaps PB will have their stuff back together soon.    Good news is you haven't missed much at any rate.😀

Gary

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Good news is you haven't missed much at any rate.

I don't believe that for a moment. :)

I think you're right, it will be a PB thing though with a prem account, then your photos should be showing perfectly. Your post has changed from showing the box with the moved or deleted message, to a series of photo links like this. 

port%20rear%20three%20quarter%201.jpg

If I click on this, which should usually bring the photo up in a new tab, I just get a "You must disable your ad blocker to use this site" & an exhortation to upgade to a premium membership", I haven't changed my settings on my adblocker anytime recently & I've not had this hassle before. It looks like another PB money grab to me & while I can understand you staying with them with that many photos, it looks to me like they're holding your photos hostage to try & bully others. :(

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Lol. Now you see 'em, now ya don't!  😉 What a shell game they play at Photobucket!   When I first opened this thread, just now, they were all there.   I then checked other threads of mine and some had pics, most did not.   Now back to this and no pics again.   Still can't access my account there so something is still amiss.    Oh, I've been around and around with them before...nothing to see here folks...now, move along.😁

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well, for the first time since December 17, my Photobucket-hosted pics are available again.  My account must be one of the last ones to be restored, or at least I think it has.   I haven't checked all my posts but this was the last one with PB pics and they seem to be back, for what they're worth. 😉   If I didn't have such a long history with Photobucket and so many pics hosted there (approx. 4000), I would've jumped ship long ago.  

So with no further ado, I'll start again with ol' PB.  I hope these are still visible after I submit this...😀

I find it very nice that some antic kits like this one are still being built in 2020, instead of just being collected. Some kind of time capsule.

On 12/19/2019 at 1:30 AM, stevehnz said:

Hi Grant, can't see your photos, saying you have moved or deleted them, or is it just Photobolux playing silly buggers again.

🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toniosky said:

I find it very nice that some antic kits like this one are still being built in 2020, instead of just being collected. Some kind of time capsule.

🤣

Thanks toniosky!   The kit really is a relic of a bygone era.    Heck, it was way old when I built it, now probably has metal fatigue😁