This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Homebee

1/72 - Grumman F8F Bearcat by HobbyBoss - release in 2020-2021

In 2020-2021, HobbyBoss is to release 1/72nd Grumman F8F Bearcat kits.

- ref. 87267 - Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

- ref. 87268 - Grumman F8F-1BBearcat

- ref. 87269 - Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat

20191217-185715.jpg

20191217-185646.jpg

20191217-185618.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Could do with a decent Bearcat in 1/72. I still like the Monogram kit, but something a little newer is needed. I found the Sword kit a bit of a bear to build.

Hopefully it will be one of their more accurate kits and will release some Monogram ones onto the market, they have become quite pricey in the last year or so

Quick, someone tell them that Bearcats didn't have their fuselages riveted together, before Hobby Boss screws these up like they and Trumpeter did to their 1/32 and 1/48 kits.

44 minutes ago, LanceB said:

Quick, someone tell them that Bearcats didn't have their fuselages riveted together, before Hobby Boss screws these up like they and Trumpeter did to their 1/32 and 1/48 kits.

In 1/72 they'll probably just leave the rivets off, thinking that no one will notice...

John

It"s interesting  that the ancient Monogram kit  is still holds up after all these years . I have one . Any tips about building it ? 

37 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

It"s interesting  that the ancient Monogram kit  is still holds up after all these years . I have one . Any tips about building it ? 

The most notable error is the height of the vertical tail: http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/07/grumman-f8f-bearcat-vertical-tail.html

There's another list of links here that concern the differences between the -1 and -2: https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/07/grumman-f8f-bearcat-redux.html

2 hours ago, oggy4u said:

Here a link to my build from earlier this year. 

Feel free to ask questions. 

Dennis

8 hours ago, John Thompson said:

In 1/72 they'll probably just leave the rivets off, thinking that no one will notice...

John

If so, they would be correct, Bearcat fuselages were held together by spot welds, not rivets.  Grumman learned the technique from Vought, who used it on Corsairs (which didn't have rivets all over the aft fuselage either).

See image #5 http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/f8f-2p_bearcat/

10 hours ago, oggy4u said:

As already pointed out, the tail fin is too short. Something I wasn't aware of when I built mine (wondered why my cobbled together markings didn't fit as they should have on the tail!) Apart from that, it all fits together very nicely. All it really needs is a little help in the wheel bay and cockpit, and I picked up a nice little resin set that dealt with those issues. To be honest though, it builds into a perfectly acceptable little kit OOB. Here's one I built a while back. It's a bit of an old skool build and painted with a hairy stick.

44021947194_bc3ab4665b_c.jpgIMG_5167 (2)

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Here's one I built a while back. It's a bit of an old skool build and painted with a hairy stick.

Pretty snazzy brushed gloss work there. Would be very happy to have achieved that.

5 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Pretty snazzy brushed gloss work there. Would be very happy to have achieved that.

Thank you! It's just the usual built up thinned coats and a half decent brush. I've been using the Italeri flat brushes for a few years. They seem pretty good for the money and give a good result. I do have an airbrush, but for my 1/72 builds, I'm happy with a brush. I've just brush painted a 1970s Humbrol authentic Mid Stone on a P-40, and honestly, I can't tell that it wasn't airbrushed. I think the paints are everything, and the older paints seemed to cater for us hairy stick users.

This is part of my 80s warbird collection that I'm building. I have a RFI that I'll be updating very soon.

Steve

Edited by fightersweep

7 hours ago, LanceB said:

If so, they would be correct, Bearcat fuselages were held together by spot welds, not rivets.  Grumman learned the technique from Vought, who used it on Corsairs (which didn't have rivets all over the aft fuselage either).

See image #5 http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/f8f-2p_bearcat/

Yes, yes - I knew all that. I was only joking at the expense of our beleagured friends at Trumpeter. Note to self - lay on heavy doses of smiley-smiles in future...

John

Edited by John Thompson

9 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Note to self - lay on heavy doses of smiley-smiles in future...

John

Sorry, Colonial here, still learning the language...😉