Spray booth cage motor - Sparmax

Rick_1138

Hi all, been a wee while since i have frequented the forum, lost going on in life, mainly a long drawn out process of creating a smaller version of myself, but after much help from the NHS we are now a proud set of parents :).

As i start to return to my work studio i have got some cash together to improve the equipment and am looking to get a mid range spray booth for the studio.

As i work almost exclusively with acrylics (GW, vallejo and Tamiya) i am looking at the Sparmax SB-88 unit, as it seems a good mid range, not the PC fan running chinese things you see on ebay, but not quite the super duper benchvent stuff either.

However, i have read that the main issue with cheap booths is the fans are often in direct airflow or are cheap ones that raise the risk of a spark\flame, however the Sparmax unit has a proper "Squirrel" cage type fan, with the motor in a sperate section of the blower unit, so the fumes do not go through the motor section. The issue is the places that sell the sparmax unit are vague on if it is suitable for flammable paints, some say yess, some say no.

Looking at the benchvent 300s-D it is classed for solvents etc, but the fan style looks the same as the sparmax, (a drum style).

can anyone give some experience of the sparmax unit and if i am just using Tamiya and Vallejo etc brands, then a non flammable rated drum extractor will be fine for my needs.

I would get the benchvent unit, but i simply cannot justify a further £150 again for the foreseeable future and i am only getting busier requiring the use of a booth more and more (i am using a high quality face mask when i do spray just now. but it needs sorting out with proper extraction.

Cheers for any help guys and gals :)

Rick

I can't comment on the Sparmax unit, but I do have the Benchvent/Graphiair A300sd that you speak of and that is a fantastic extractor!! Probably not what you want to hear, but if you can muster the extra money for one I guarantee you will not be dissatisfied with the purchase one bit. Have you thought of maybe a second hand one?

I am looking at delaying my purchase till the new year and see if i can get the rest together, as i have 3 big commissions on in a row, so could put an extra £150 into business equipment pot.

The more i read up about the various booths, the lifetime warranty and the "it just works" reviews of the BV stuff does make me wonder if the "buy cheap, buy twice" rule would come into effect with the Sparmax.

1 hour ago, Rick_1138 said:

I am looking at delaying my purchase till the new year and see if i can get the rest together, as i have 3 big commissions on in a row, so could put an extra £150 into business equipment pot.

The more i read up about the various booths, the lifetime warranty and the "it just works" reviews of the BV stuff does make me wonder if the "buy cheap, buy twice" rule would come into effect with the Sparmax.

To be honest, there's not much to go wrong with the Benchvent unit. I suppose the motor is the only bit that could break? I've had mine I think since early 2000's and it's never missed a beat. Very reliable unit.

I have set up a washroom fan with a 3" duct going outside. It's still not finished, the contractor disappeared. Their brushless and seem to the made well. I used to use an over stove rangehood built onto a wardrobe cabinet and that worked not bad but didn't suck a whole lot. Going with the squirrel cage idea, what about a heater blower motor from a car? just have to do the power conversion from 12v. I don't know how to do that.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

I still wear mine, it stays in the air even after spraying. You still smell some of it but not as bad. I also don't paint everyday and work around diesel exhaust everyday so I might be screwed anyway, hope not.

11 hours ago, Sharknose said:

Question please, do you have these bench extractor units so you don't have to wear a breathing mask?

When I spray with the Benchvent/Graphicair A300sd model I find it does such a good job of extracting the spray fumes that I don't need to wear a mask.