Surrender Air Force Nakajima B5N2 Kate, Hasegawa 1/48

Brad

This is the Pearl Harbor version of Hasegawa's Kate, but since they don't include the right torpedo fins, I went looking for another colour scheme. I stumbled upon pictures of this surrendered Kate in green cross markings and well, why not? I left out the rear gun but apart from that it's OOB. It's a very nice fitting model. I did paint the camouflage under the white, which is applied patchy intentionally. It also looked as though they had really roughly painted the spinner and prop with a brush, so I tried to recreate that look as well. I'm not sure the aircraft ever flew, but it did look scruffy around the engine cowlings with the rest of the aircraft fairly clean. Green crosses were painted on and the '2' on the tail was from the spares box.

vn3erM4.jpg

jSxjW3D.jpg

RTlwTwa.jpg

DyaWFXH.jpg

• Like 25

Very unusual scheme to see a Japanese warbird in, and great work to boot!

You took me down quite the rabbit hole looking for a pic of one of these planes in flight in this marking scheme. No luck unfortunately, but this page was great for giving me more historical information (and loads of pics) of the surrender proceedings for the Japanese air forces.

https://www.meetup.com/fr-FR/aviation-76/messages/71403212/

• Like 1

Very unusual scheme and very good job!

If I may just ask - are you sure that surrender crosses were that dark? I alway though that they were of fresh dark green colour.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

I've got many colour photos of those aircraft and depending on film, exposure, time of day, the crosses will either be very dark, almost black to a darkish green. Some have said the crosses are black but I have read plenty of eye-witnesses to the event that state that the crosses were green

Edited by fubar57
EDIT: very cool by the way
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JWM said:

Very unusual scheme and very good job!

If I may just ask - are you sure that surrender crosses were that dark? I alway though that they were of fresh dark green colour.

Regards

J-W

The lighting makes them darker than they really are.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brad said:

The lighting makes them darker than they really are.

Since white is a bit pink the colour balance of light is shifted toward red,in such light indeed green goes black...

Good job again!

Regards

J-W

• Like 1