Beechraft Model 18 Twin Beech, 1/72nd conversions

19 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Gorgeous work and nice to see the contrast between injected and vac kits.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian!

Yes, the idea of a sort of comparative build was attractive, even if I created for myself double the work!

After I am done with these 6 or 7 parallel somewhat challenging builds that I am posting here, I think I am quite ready for a shake and bake kit!

Cheers

Putty sanded and wings added. The wings of course have an indifferent fit, and although one (right) more or less coincides with its root molded in the fuselage, the other (left) does not, being the wing noticeably thicker. If I knew this (should have suspected it, given the general un-quality of the kit) I could have sanded a bit the contact surfaces of the halves of the wing at the root, -without affecting the engine nacelles. So you may do a dry fit on your kit, and proceed to any corrections before having the problem dumped on your lap later in construction:

IMG_8006+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Beauty work as usual. What filler are you using Moa, I don’t recognise it.

Hi Marklo

I use 3m red filler, comes in a tube, Tamiya white putty, abd only for certain things a water-soluble putty called something like Perfect Putty or the like (not home now).

the latter is a bit problematic. 

EDIT: the name is 3M Bondo glazing and spot putty.

• Like 1

Must try the Bondo. I use many fillers liquid green stuff, perfect plastic putty, Vallejo, testers and squadron green, milliput, ca and Tamiya putty. 

I like the testers and the Tamiya but I still haven’t found a putty I’m entirely happy with.

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Must try the Bondo. I use many fillers liquid green stuff, perfect plastic putty, Vallejo, testers and squadron green, milliput, ca and Tamiya putty. 

I like the testers and the Tamiya but I still haven’t found a putty I’m entirely happy with.

Here's a putty you can be happy with:

7715_hr_tube.jpgjsessionid462ac54a7a88cf

Spies Hecker Permacron Fine Putty 7715. Available at your local auto body repair and paint supplies outlet. If you've ever used 3M Acryl putty, you'll have a idea of what this is like. But it's better in every respect.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Moa said:

I just did a quick online search and could not find online vendors for this product.

Moa,

It's a spot glazing putty used by auto paint and body shops; it is usually only available from distributors, not usually found at retail stores. If you Google Spies Hecker  products, it looks like there are three distributors for their line in California; you might see which one is closest to you and contact them. I've got every other putty/filler in the world- I might give this one a try. 

Mike

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Moa,

It's a spot glazing putty used by auto paint and body shops; it is usually only available from distributors, not usually found at retail stores. If you Google Spies Hecker  products, it looks like there are three distributors for their line in California; you might see which one is closest to you and contact them. I've got every other putty/filler in the world- I might give this one a try. 

Mike

Thanks Mike

I will give this a pass.

I never chase people to give them my money.

The distributors are far away from me, and for what I can see they are not stocked at a "local" (40 minute drive) autopart business. To which I wouldn't drive anyway for tube of filler.

Having so many other choices, no need to pursue this particular one. It's just a hobby!

Thanks to everybody that pitched in, anyway!

Cheers

• Like 1

What I hope will be the last light coat of primer before painting commences. You may notice that I have removed the cover-all protective masks on the windshield -that I use while I work on its seams- and not new masks are on for a more delicate work and painting:

IMG_8018+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And the other model gets some putty limited by masking on panel lines.
Have to be more careful doing sanding later on a vac like this one, since there is a little flimsiness to it and it's easy to overdo it and get haircracks in the seams (that's why the wings are not yet on, to make handling the fuselage easier):

IMG_8019+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Last mist on the injected kit before painting:

I think you mist a spot!

Sorry! It's been a long day up here in Northern Canada.

Chris

• Haha 3