This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Moa

Beechraft Model 18 Twin Beech, 1/72nd conversions

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Jeez, Louise- I've been watching 'way too may of your WIP's!

Mike

And in case your are trying to read my mind again:

A coaming and instrument pedestal will be provided before adding the transparency:

IMG_7929+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

19 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Gorgeous work and nice to see the contrast between injected and vac kits.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian!

Yes, the idea of a sort of comparative build was attractive, even if I created for myself double the work!

After I am done with these 6 or 7 parallel somewhat challenging builds that I am posting here, I think I am quite ready for a shake and bake kit!

Cheers

A bit better now:
IMG_7936+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The marriage of the Encore fuselage halves did not go well, so here is some brute "counseling":

IMG_7975+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_7976+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Putty sanded and wings added. The wings of course have an indifferent fit, and although one (right) more or less coincides with its root molded in the fuselage, the other (left) does not, being the wing noticeably thicker. If I knew this (should have suspected it, given the general un-quality of the kit) I could have sanded a bit the contact surfaces of the halves of the wing at the root, -without affecting the engine nacelles. So you may do a dry fit on your kit, and proceed to any corrections before having the problem dumped on your lap later in construction:

IMG_8006+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Beauty work as usual. What filler are you using Moa, I don’t recognise it.

Hi Marklo

I use 3m red filler, comes in a tube, Tamiya white putty, abd only for certain things a water-soluble putty called something like Perfect Putty or the like (not home now).

the latter is a bit problematic. 

EDIT: the name is 3M Bondo glazing and spot putty.

Very thin and narrow styrene strips are glued from inside the transparency area of the RarePlanes model, to form a lip to hold the canopy aligned and firmly glued (some sanding is going to be needed later on, on the top, to blend it in):

IMG_8008+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

28 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

"The impossible just takes a little longer!" 

I see you are a true optimistic, Rob!

Cheers

The exhaust pipes are made of lightly heated and bent styrene tube of adequate diameter, then the aft end walls thinned from inside with a carving bit:

IMG_8008b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Dry run:

IMG_8009+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8010+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The contact area with the transparency is painted matte grey, and then the clear part glued. The tail is also secured in place, whilst the exhausts are prepared for painting:

IMG_8012+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Must try the Bondo. I use many fillers liquid green stuff, perfect plastic putty, Vallejo, testers and squadron green, milliput, ca and Tamiya putty. 

I like the testers and the Tamiya but I still haven’t found a putty I’m entirely happy with.

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

As a matter of interest, what glue do you use?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

After bathing the clear parts in acrylic floor polish, I use very thin CA sparingly.

Other times (mostly with injected transparencies of good size and thickness) I use Testors Clear Parts Cement.

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Must try the Bondo. I use many fillers liquid green stuff, perfect plastic putty, Vallejo, testers and squadron green, milliput, ca and Tamiya putty. 

I like the testers and the Tamiya but I still haven’t found a putty I’m entirely happy with.

Here's a putty you can be happy with:

7715_hr_tube.jpgjsessionid462ac54a7a88cf

Spies Hecker Permacron Fine Putty 7715. Available at your local auto body repair and paint supplies outlet. If you've ever used 3M Acryl putty, you'll have a idea of what this is like. But it's better in every respect.

18 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Here's a putty you can be happy with

I just did a quick online search and could not find online vendors for this product.

35 minutes ago, Moa said:

I just did a quick online search and could not find online vendors for this product.

Moa,

It's a spot glazing putty used by auto paint and body shops; it is usually only available from distributors, not usually found at retail stores. If you Google Spies Hecker  products, it looks like there are three distributors for their line in California; you might see which one is closest to you and contact them. I've got every other putty/filler in the world- I might give this one a try. 

Mike

22 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Moa,

It's a spot glazing putty used by auto paint and body shops; it is usually only available from distributors, not usually found at retail stores. If you Google Spies Hecker  products, it looks like there are three distributors for their line in California; you might see which one is closest to you and contact them. I've got every other putty/filler in the world- I might give this one a try. 

Mike

Thanks Mike

I will give this a pass.

I never chase people to give them my money.

The distributors are far away from me, and for what I can see they are not stocked at a "local" (40 minute drive) autopart business. To which I wouldn't drive anyway for tube of filler.

Having so many other choices, no need to pursue this particular one. It's just a hobby!

Thanks to everybody that pitched in, anyway!

Cheers

A coat of primer for the vac, and another for the injected.
More work ahead, as usual...

IMG_8014+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Whilst the injected Encore kit has been given the grossly exaggerated trench treatment, the tail group has faint raised panel lines.

You have seen that the model to the right in the post above (future American Airlines model) has a football antenna. The one to the left (future aerobatic show plane) will have a "Jetsons TV antenna", so I made two, to chose the best:

IMG_8015+%25281280x961%2529.jpg