Beechraft Model 18 Twin Beech, 1/72nd conversions

Having just bought( for some bizarre reason,,,,)the very recent re-issues of the PM kits, I have just read right through this thread for inspiration.  For those interested I went for the AT-11 Kansan and  the USN C-45. neither will wear the kit decals  and if ever I get around to making them, they will civil schemed.

Moa; I am impressed by your work. One learns a lot from your builds featured here. Will now carry on and follow the build more closely.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Having just bought( for some bizarre reason,,,,)the very recent re-issues of the PM kits, I have just read right through this thread for inspiration.  For those interested I went for the AT-11 Kansan and  the USN C-45. neither will wear the kit decals  and if ever I get around to making them, they will civil schemed.

Three Hurray! for that, Paul.

Cheers

Love it.

The engines you used, were they the resin ones you  show in an earlier post with image, earlier with the yellow card wrapper? I ask because they have a very strong similarity(almost dead copies) to the engine in the Airfix Beaver kit.  I used two from scrapped Beaver builds years and years ago for my Rareplane kit I built and finished in RCAF colours using those dodgy decals from a Hobbycraft kit.

By the way I have two more Hobbycraft kits in my stash a C-45F and H and each have the different sized engine fairings and inboard leading edge extension, that is one with and one without.   Again they will end up as civilian finishes.

• Like 1

You know, I've still got my little PM Beech sitting discarded on the reject box. 

And I pick it up from time to time and look, just to remind me of what you are working with here.... well half of your work anyway. 

I can't BE-LIEVE the care and attention you lavish on these quite inadequate kits, and the results are..... to be honest, they're miraculous. Literally...!! 

I know you applied a bit of after-Market, esp around the engines and cowlings, to help save the situation, but really, what you have got from them is impressive!! 

Nearly there now ⚠️👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Demonstrating one more time my natural ability to make things disappear (I should have been a magician and feature in the Lord of the O-rings), I proceeded long ago to produce the several small lights that the Younkin plane (bat-plane as it was disrespectfully called here, ahem!) is bestowed with; I am talking about a set of minuscule red lights on the wings and belly, plus color formation lights, plus strobes.

I put them all in a very small container, which I remember trashing just a few days ago to "clear up space".

Nothing irreplaceable, of course, but my strategy, invariably, is to produce all the small fussy parts at the beginning, so I don't have to deal with them at the end.

Oh, well, as they say.

I am also looking more and more at the "Enhanced" resin cowls provided with the Encore kit (that are already painted and with the engines glued in) as replacement for the original PM ones, and not quite liking them much.

I produced my own replacements at the beginning of the build, that are primed in some box (where?) and may be I should paint and use those.

We'll see.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

With the final touches the Younkin air show plane is now ready. Tomorrow, if all goes well*, perhaps I will do the photography for the completed model post:

IMG_8343+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

*Meaning if some clown powdered in orange, with a deranged sense of himself, does not produce a cataclysmic blunder that sends us to model in heaven (it's not the same, I have tried, everything fits and the airbrush never clogs, it's boring).

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Moa said:

(bat-plane as it was disrespectfully called here, ahem!)

At least I didn’t say the other one was from Alcoholics Anonymous.

AW

• Haha 1

Moa,

That AA Twin Beech is looking so, so good! Not that the other one isn't amazing, I just have a real affection for the classic AA propliners in the bare metal/orange scheme. Can't wait to see the finished product. Amazing workmanship, especially considering how bad the PM kits are and how much you've done to enhance the great kit that the late, great Gordon Stephens created. (Going to put 1/72 AA brochures in the seatback pockets?) 😜

Mike

• Haha 1

Way back in the days before digitalization, I had a Canon 35mm film camera. As I used this for 20 years, I collected a good volume of film containers. I have been using them to store various things in since then. There are a few kits in the stash that have been finished but not completed that have one of these containers storing small parts.

48226290256_28f53b32c0_c.jpg

I store my O-rings in one:

48218349707_29d108132f_c.jpg

All these small parts to my Hurricane are kept there until needed:

47929320622_457169ac08_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Moa,

That AA Twin Beech is looking so, so good! Not that the other one isn't amazing, I just have a real affection for the classic AA propliners in the bare metal/orange scheme. Can't wait to see the finished product. Amazing workmanship, especially considering how bad the PM kits are and how much you've done to enhance the great kit that the late, great Gordon Stephens created. (Going to put 1/72 AA brochures in the seatback pockets?) 😜

Mike

The AA plane is coming close too.

I am applying the last decals, which go over compound curves, so it's a bit tricky and it's taking time.

Hopefully we'll get there at some point.

Cheers

30 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Way back in the days before digitalization, I had a Canon 34mm film camera. As I used this for 20 years, I collected a good volume of film containers. I have been using them to store various things in since then. There are a few kits in the stash that have been finished but not completed that have one of these containers storing small parts.

Same containers are used here (a Spitfire, by the way, how do you dare!)

I also make good use of the remnants of my earlier photographic endeavors: those daguerreotypes provide excellent glass plates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That AA Twin Beech is looking so, so good! Not that the other one isn't amazing, I just have a real affection for the classic AA propliners in the bare metal/orange scheme. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Close now, Mike, but perhaps a couple more days.

IMG_8399+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

have to apply the cowl decals (which also involves some painting -that I forgot to do, I knew there was a reason to leave those cowls unattached, darn!), then antenna wires, propellers, door.

• Like 10

Wonderful models as usual Claudio.  A real joy to read your WIPs.  There is a few to catch up on.

My wondrous employer (Fools Paradise - not it's real name, just my interpretation) sent me off to do a Work Health and Safety Certificate IV course at TAFE (Technical And Further Education).  This has been going on for 12 months, nearly finished.

There has been no time for my hobbies just safe work stuff.

Wonderful modeling.

Stephen

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

Wonderful models as usual Claudio.  A real joy to read your WIPs.  There is a few to catch up on.

My wondrous employer (Fools Paradise - not it's real name, just my interpretation) sent me off to do a Work Health and Safety Certificate IV course at TAFE (Technical And Further Education).  This has been going on for 12 months, nearly finished.

There has been no time for my hobbies just safe work stuff.

Wonderful modeling.

Stephen

Thanks, Stephen

When you can finally go back to modeling again, you will have accumulated all that potential energy, you will be unstoppable! 

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Looking good. Wouldn’t have a big fan of the type but the end result has definitely changed my mind. Both schemes look really well.

Thanks, Marklo!