Beechraft Model 18 Twin Beech, 1/72nd conversions

10 hours ago, Moa said:

CRISIS!!!!

I can't find anything on the restroom!

The apex, the climax, the summit, the pinnacle, the acme of my builds!

Oh, what would I do now...

How about this http://twinbeech.com/images/RC-45J/rc_toilet_comp.JPG? Crisis averted?

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Wlad said:

How about this http://twinbeech.com/images/RC-45J/rc_toilet_comp.JPG? Crisis averted?

Cheers,

Wlad

Wlad

You contribution to this thread shall not be forgotten, and our gratitude will shine upon you together with the many blessings from Styrene, Greek Muse of Modeling.

Long live the toilets!

• Haha 5

The Beech 18 has always been a favourite.  The 30th Air Material Base at RCAF Langar in Nottinghamshire had a Station hack Beech 18.  We used to cycle there every Saturday and school holidays and sit on the fence, Bristol Freighters, North Stars, Canucks, Sabre s and Silver Stars along with the Lincolns and Shacks of the Avro repair Depot. The base flying club had a Miles Magister.  Can you imagine as 14 year olds being invited in to the main hangar to look at the "new Delta wing Bomber" (VX777).  The next "18" I came across was an Oil company one at RAF Idris (Castel Benito) in Libya c 1960. We had an "18" land at Belize airport which was so loaded, the pilot wriggled out of the cockpit side window to "adjust" the registration with Black Bodge tape. Beech 18, many memories.

John

Dave, As the film companies used to say "It's in the can"...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The first stages of the TMP (Trench Mitigation Plan) for the Encore kit are accomplished:

IMG_7579+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_7584+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The windshield -only part of the RarePlane vac transparencies that will be used- is separated and provisionally trimmed:

IMG_7582+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The remaining PM kit is extricated from the stash to be cannibalized for parts to be used in the vac (control yokes, landing gear legs, etc.):
IMG_7583+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I am presenting the simultaneous builds as they happen, in a Joycean "stream of consciousness" manner, alternating segmented images of the modeling field as it develops, and mixing content related to the three kits involved.

The result, although -understandably- may be confusing for some, is nonetheless highly artistic, multifaceted, plurisemic, one may even say labyrinthine in nature, providing a sort of cubist multi-focal point of view of the actions, in other words: my intention is to present modeling reality as it is, chaotic instead of cosmological, Dyonisian instead of Apollonial, and ultimately entropic.

It's all Greek to me

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

I've tried to find enlightenment in the Putnam "Beech Aircraft", and although it isn't completely ideal, here is a guide to the airframe changes as affecting the kits.

C18 - wartime builds excluding AT-11/SNB-1 (doesn't say why but presumably because of the fuselage alterations as all else seems to be the same).  So straight wing root, round tail to nacelles and round wingtips.

D18 and rebuilds - flush rivets and extended tails to nacelles to reduce drag.  New centre section (stronger) which presumably means the extended leading edge but it doesn't say so.

G18 - square wingtips and taller fuselage with steeper windshield so major rebuild.

H18 - nosewheels etc

This means the Rareplanes is the C18, the Hobbycraft later one is the D18, the G/H18 means major rebuilds.  The Hobbycraft early one  - may be a mix of C18 nacelles and D18 wingroots?  PM C-45 ditto?  PM AT-11 definitely ditto.  Three of my four kits need the leading edge extensions filing away - and the Peruvian AT-11 was very nearly finished!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I've tried to find enlightenment in the Putnam "Beech Aircraft", and although it isn't completely ideal, here is a guide to the airframe changes as affecting the kits.

C18 - wartime builds excluding AT-11/SNB-1 (doesn't say why but presumably because of the fuselage alterations as all else seems to be the same).  So straight wing root, round tail to nacelles and round wingtips.

D18 and rebuilds - flush rivets and extended tails to nacelles to reduce drag.  New centre section (stronger) which presumably means the extended leading edge but it doesn't say so.

G18 - square wingtips and taller fuselage with steeper windshield so major rebuild.

H18 - nosewheels etc

This means the Rareplanes is the C18, the Hobbycraft later one is the D18, the G/H18 means major rebuilds.  The Hobbycraft early one  - may be a mix of C18 nacelles and D18 wingroots?  PM C-45 ditto?  PM AT-11 definitely ditto.  Three of my four kits need the leading edge extensions filing away - and the Peruvian AT-11 was very nearly finished!

Here you will find more:

https://books.google.com/books?id=gOddDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA14&lpg=PA14&dq="CF-BMI"+beech&source=bl&ots=KNx4LwU-El&sig=ACfU3U16WjPUC8iaTPYvXDsj_m2_Zs3XBQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-usOFtMLmAhWbCTQIHWfXAdwQ6AEwDHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q="CF-BMI" beech&f=false

The cowls on the RarePlane kit are separated from the wing halves, in order to deal with them more comfortably. I am also contemplating substituting them for parts found in the spares bin:

IMG_7585+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Here you can see the vac solution for the exhausts. I have scribed the edges and hollowed the exit, so you could do this:

IMG_7586+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Or remove the section and substitute for a real tube length, which is what I will be doing:

IMG_7587+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Moa said:

The remaining PM kit is extricated from the stash to be cannibalized for parts to be used in the vac (control yokes, landing gear legs, etc.):
IMG_7583+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Aaaaargh !! Canibalizing a beautifull Navy bird ??

That's a sacrilege !! :bangin:

Provocative CC :rofl2:

Otherwise, great build Moa ! Your attention to details is inspiring !!

Congrats Chap !!

CC

• Haha 1

For the Encore kit:

The original, injected windshield of the kit is much better than the "upgrade". The vac windshield is too thin and therefore way too flimsy, besides being far more undefined and somewhat "undulated". Stay with the injected part, that fits much better, can be polished, and has better defined frames. What a flop are half of these "upgrade" parts:

IMG_7593+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

"upgrade", yeah, right:

IMG_7594+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_7595+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Injected part:

IMG_7597+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

"Upgrade"

IMG_7598+%2528960x1280%2529.jpg

You could use this "upgrade" with a lot of good will, but my advise is get rid of it:

IMG_7599+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Ugh:

IMG_7600+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7

The cockpit glazed area is carefully removed form the RarePlane fuselage, making the cut a bit inside of what should be, just in case:

IMG_7602+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

It seems that we may have a good fit here. The approach of a bigger section that includes part of the fuselage skin helps enormously with the blending of the transparencies, an approach that unfortunately the Encore/PM kit does not have:

IMG_7603+%25281280x1018%2529.jpg

Notice that both kits omit two small rectangular panels seen in photos, which will have to be masked in this case and cut in the other kit.

• Like 3

On 20/12/2019 at 06:52, Moa said:

Long live the toilets!

We'll make a Brit out of you yet!

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

And now ?? A civilian Albacore ?? Stunning if any ??

CC

Sorry Claudio, I thought we had put him back in his box after Telford.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2