Roden 1/72 C-123B

I finished the Roden C-123 today.  While it is rewarding to have it done and ready for the display case, it made me work for it, because of all the little details and the decals.  The only way I could get the decals to settle down was to use a Top Flight heat gun that I normally use to shrink mylar film on my R/C models, but they still did not adhere well so I applied a clear coat of Alclad Matt.  It gives the airplane the look of an older oxidized skin, and I think I like it.  Not going to trap myself with Roden decals again anytime soon.  I am pretty sure I used the kit decals on my Roden Sea Gladiator, maybe they had a different maker then.  The fiddley bits have been added, on to the pictures.  If you look close you may be able to see that I painted the rubber surrounds on the windows that had them, that's what I remember most about the first time I saw a C-123, windows held in like the back window on a 53 Ford Pickup.

0381c123.jpg

0351c123.jpg

0381c123.jpg 

And next to a C-46.  Both had Pratt and Whitney R-2800's, but the C-123 had 300 more horsepower per side.  Cruise speeds are about the same according to the usual sources.

0421c123.jpg                                   

• Like 45

Just added the Roden C-123B to my stash to join a C-46 there!  You’ve done a brilliant job with both of these kits  - well done!  The C-123 is one of the great examples of an aircraft that did so much and rarely gets the accolades it deserves.  It was found in some many places in Vietnam and Laos during the Vietnam War and its Air America exploits are probably what most would associate it with.

Love the finish you’ve achieved, really top notch! 👌🏻

Very nice builds, John !

Is the C-46 also a Roden kit ? There's a big hole in my stash marked "C-46" but I've has some disappointments with Roden kits, especially in the decal dept.

Nevertheless, for a C-46, I'll make an exception. It'll go nicely alongside my Spec. Hobby Digby/Bolo.

Rog

Very nicely done C-123,a plane of which I grew to like when it first appeared in one of the National Geographic issues in the late 1960s.(The picture showing the C-123 whicch later crashed killing all the ARVN troopers and crew).Used to have the same Roden kit but sold it off when I realized the Jet-pack modification was not included.So,at the moment I am saving for the the AC-123K instead.

Edited by Kampartiger

Thanks for all the supportive comments, everyone.  Yes, the C-46 is a Williams Brothers kit I built some years back.  The Roden kit is almost real nice, and if the mold making technology that they are using was as good as their design it would be much nicer.  Some parts, like the nose landing gear are built in such fine detail that they are under strength.  But, what is most important to me is that they do a good job on getting the shape right, and that helps make the work worth it.

There are build logs on my website for both of these models.

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/c123/1c123/1c123.html

http://www.yolo.net/~jeaton/mymodels/c46/1c46/1c46.html

And a head on photo.  The 9 is a bit off but it just barely ended up on the model.  I'd make a stencil and paint it if I did it again:

0361c123.jpg

• Like 2