Fujimi MR2 SW20 '93

There was no WIP for this as I was building it for my brothers christmas present. I have however chronicled the majority of the build photos in the Google album here.

The kit was a simple kit, with the only engine detail being moulded as part of the Chassis. The interior is fairly simple but it is also simple on the 1:1.  Both myself and my brother owned various MR2's through our younger years and continue a shared interest inJapanesecars.

I asked him how he would have his ideal MR2 earlier in the year (Much earlier) and have built this OOB but to his specifications: i.e Flocked dash and colour choices.

The registration is the registration on his last owned MR2 and the TB Developments logo is taken from the club we used to be members of. Its also a company logo ( i do not own the copyright but do know the owner and am attending his wedding next year....so don't see he will have an issue in its use)

I am pleased with the ease of this build and the end result ispleasing for a kit that only cost me £20.

Here are the photos before it was closed up and the end result.

Feel free to comment and criticise, I feel the front ride height is a touch high but not worh dying in a ditch over.

EOgTEWj1PCMt9xsbDe9PvMm7hdvjyLtAdA1KxFDf

P2As_ydupPOLOajsb8IU4cFreM6lVSZcQrzWjl2X

1mVLLu32Y4IIKdU8zDM39Al0-E_vKeDkyHIG4mKM

OrTp-v7jNXnprLc_aqU5NQ7rJQduivJvkv4An8z9

5XICFFMw1mO7KO-n739WLCgBEaNQL_kPpFRuPddV

vSP5MW_cM2w6_eZgjInxlDkP8anFVhDGMdxAnjlm

UxKlUEHRHoxyO6Oi3iq2VMOrrmxPHxPjZUgNRWek

mILoSuy47f01Oj1cen3HBMVEbF7G_ozAuVAignJk

hYbK_y-nNTFDxHWlqZ4LZ4vD8RdSw3A3jku_nlL2

Thanks for looking and there are more photos in the shared album linked in the first line of this post.

Coops

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Great colour choice that blue suits this body style perfectly. The interior is also spot on no frills but functional. I also owned one of these many years ago probably the most reliable car I have ever owned. Always enjoyed driving mine in fact I often went out for a drive just for the feel good factor a car I never tired of. Unfortunately a lorry drove into me on the  M6 one morning and the car was wrecked still miss it to this day. Thanks for showing this great work as usual. 

Regards Andy 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I tried driving it but the seat wouldn't slide back far enough

Clearly, I'm shorter than you...that said, I'm shorter than quite a few people.;)

I've got to get one, haven't I, only Hiroboy have it listed as "out of stock"...will it ever be back in stock; anyway, I've requested a notification.

BTW, '93 Mk2 Rev2, UK spec, i.e. n/a, 96K, no rust...love it to bits.😀

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cooper645 said:

I’m 6’2 and was ok. You must be a giant. (Get the T Bar, 1000s ft of headroom 😂)

Well, it was 20 years ago so back then I was about 6'5, 220 pounds, size 12+ shoes and arms like an orang-utan. I remember being distinctly uncomfortable to the point of OK I can't drive like this. I still have the ape-like arms but I'm a little less bulky so maybe I should try again 🙂 

• Like 1

Looks good, another success. For the front wheels, I could be wrong, but looking at the model and pictures of the real thing on the internet, it seems to me that Fujimi have made the front wheel arch go up a bit too high above the black beltline (the wheels look in the right place compared to the belt to me). Not really a lot you can do about that without a bit of major surgery, so best not to beat yourself up about it.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spiny said:

For the front wheels, I could be wrong, but looking at the model and pictures of the real thing on the internet, it seems to me that Fujimi have made the front wheel arch go up a bit too high above the black beltline (the wheels look in the right place compared to the belt to me)

Having just looked at mine (real one, not model!), Yes, front arch is a tad high, but so is the trim line. Sighting along mine, on 15" wheels, it pretty much lines up with the top of the rim.

Looking more closely at the model, there would seem to be some curiosities. The box seems to show the Rev 3 onwards, small wrap around rear wing, whereas the model has the Rev 2 fuller wraparound; also the model has Rev 3 rear lights (the rounder ones), but, using the reg plate, the original should have the square ones. The original was clearly a non-turbo import (depressed louvres on engine cover, square number plates). Oh, and the front driving lamps look a bit big.

This is all getting a bit anal, isn't it? Having said that, mine is on its way (model, not real one) and, if I'm going to try to represent mine, then I've got to model square real lights somehow (I prefer them, anyway) and...pause for breath...T-bar roof panels - now that could be fun!

The clear plastic should be fine for you to mould the T model, it has the cut out ready to go. 

there are a couple of spoiler options I believe, and the lights should be fairly simple to convert, don’t forget the panel between the lights at the rear, this rev 3 has the flatter panel, do you have the one with the recesses? 

It’s a pleasing model that’s straight forward to build. your mods may extend your build time 🤪

4 hours ago, MR2Don said:

Looking more closely at the model, there would seem to be some curiosities

True - I think the masters were originally for a 2nd revision T-bar (like yours but with the Japanese spec repeaters), then they dicked around with them to turn it into the later engine cover, rounded rear lights and body colour panel between them containing the relocated reversing lights - but without changing the spoiler. Oh and its a sunroof version too alas. The occasional (far better) T-bar kits that pop up on Ebay go for silly money so I've never managed to replace the one I had that went awol years ago in a house move. My real one was brilliant too. :(

Incidentally @Cooper645, I think on the blue ones, that belt line was dark blue rather than black. Dash was smooth vinyl "leather" to match the seats (- all UK cars had leather seats incidentally).

5 hours ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

Great build! How did you do the flocked finish?

white glue and some flocking powder I had in stock. Think I got it from Hiroboy.

5 hours ago, Kirk said:

No offence intended - it's your model. Just commenting based on the car I owned.

None taken at all 😃

@cmatthewbacon very nice indeed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking Mr. 2! I made a right hash of mine many years ago (model, not real thing). I'm tempted to try again; I was discussing with the missus what my favourite out of all the cars I've owned was and we agreed on the MR2. 93, square tail lights, bright yellow t bar. Still miss it, but I as i always drove it like i stole it after 120k miles  it was a bit knackered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galaxyg said:

I also like the real car a lot,

The number of people I come across who either say "I knew somebody who had one of those" or "I always fancied one of those". Note the past tense - still a few of us out there, but getting rarer. In Chelmsford, with a population approaching 100k, there are, I think,  four MK2s that I know of, two or three MK3s and no MK1s - unless anybody else knows different.