Missouri Armada December 1944 ++FINISHED++

Redstaff

Finally gathered all the bits together ready for making a start over the holidays.

I've had to tidy all my stuff away out of the spare bedroom where I normally find solitude as the daughter is coming back from uni for a few days, how inconsiderate of her 🤣 

I might be allowed to use the dining table as an interim measure, but not until after boxing day apparently......

I didn't realise how many bits I'd gathered as I went along, I may fit the gun bays if I get time, if not they will be for the future :) , thought I'd got the wheel bay as well but can't find it at present

I've decided on the Tamiya kit with "Missouri Armada" markings, in olive drab (or dark green according to the sheet) to sit alongside my Meng "Passion Wagon" in the same scheme

I must do some research to find out the correct colour, seem to think Passion Wagon was dark green 🤔

20191216_144123_001_resized

20191216_144231_001_resized

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Build area now cleared of T5 lightning in the KUTA GB, gathered all the bits together so now I can join in this STGB tonight after work :) 

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Cockpit assy nearly ready for fitting

Bit of touching up here and there and need to tighten the twist on the rear white cable as it looks like it's not held as tight as I would like on the photo, maybe a drop or 2 of CA or PVA to help it keep tight 🤔 (it's dental floss BTW) Next time might twist and PVA before fitting

20200117_041726_resized 20200117_041711_resized

• Like 8

Wife went out with some friends this morning for coffee, so I managed to make a bit more progress 

Fuselage halves joined together after making cockpit fit and wing panel lines filled with a trusty tippex pen in readiness

Leave to set while the rugby is on telly beforeI go over the seams with extra thin

20200118_134345_resized 20200118_134331_resized

• Like 4

I’ve only ever used Tippex on very small areas, like scars left by carelessly removed sprues. How easy will it be to sand that amount, and is there any danger of it lifting from the panel lines during the process?

I haven’t built a Tamiya Mustang for many years but I feel the urge for one of their P-51Bs coming on.

John.

PS it’s amazing what you can achieve when you’re left alone for a couple of hours rather than 30-40 minutes at a time.

• Like 1

Well @Biggles87

The tippex worked out quite well in the end, but not as easy as CA for large areas 

I left it a few hours to harden fully and found the best way to remove the excess was with my trusty IPMS seam scraper

Then using a sanding stick then progressing to a polishing one it all seems fine, but the proof will be when I get the primer on

I will take some pics tomorrow when I glue the wing tops on the bottoms I have glued to the fuselage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been very sporadic on this one, but hopefully back into a bit of spare time again now

Assembled and primer on after filling the panel lines

Masked off and sprayed some silver bits, hopefully get the grey and green on over the weekend before the 6 nations starts as I wouldn't like to spray under the influence of alcohol 🍻

20200129_115342_resized 20200129_115304_resized

• Like 6

Got a bit more paint on over the weekend, but never took any pics, so here's a couple to prove I'm still here 😀

Medium grey underneath and dark olive drab on top

Will get some more done friday and the weekend hopefully

20200205_180110_resized 20200205_180016_resized

• Like 8

Just got to decide on invasion stripes or not now. The decals sheet i have shows no invasion stripes, just one identification stripe on top and bottom of each wing and tailplane. But every picture I've seen shows the wraparound invasion stripes on the fuselage and no wing/tailplane stripes 🤔

• Like 1

Got a bit of painting the sub assemblies yesterday and this morning ready for fitting after decals

Decided to go with the underbelly fuselage stripes as all ptcures seem to have them, just had to cut them down as the ones I had were full behind the star and bars

Probably get some decals on in the morning as this afternoon is all about rugby 🍻

20200208_123754_resized 20200208_123736_resized

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Will be interesting to see if those decal stripes work.

Thanks, the stripes wouldn't conform at all so I masked and painted them.

Will take pics later when I get the tape off

Ian 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Do I see the flaps being used as a jig for the prop?  If so, neat idea.

Yes you do, perfect size for it 😁

3 of the blades locked in solid but one was loose so had to set them till the glue dried

Ian 

• Like 1

With nothing else to do this morning apart from looking outside at the rain and trees blowing around, I decided to crack on with the decals

Some of the decals were terribly thin and kept splitting and falling apart 😒

Luckily I had extra bits of other mustang kits to make the best of it.

Some touching up to do and satin coat later in the week hopefully

20200209_183015_resized 20200209_182954_resized 20200209_183004_resized

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looking good.

AW

Thank you

I realised after I had painted the stripes that I had started too far forward and that made the stripes a bit too wide to fit the 5 in, but as I'm not a perfectionist I'm happy enough with it