Spitfire Mk Vb BR323 George Beurling PROBABLE Malta Camo

Here is my latest project in 1/72

xqMy1Po.jpg

Basic details regarding what the build represents have been added to the name plate:  This particular aircraft did not survive the month and thus that is why it has an almost pristine look

KCKMNTZ.jpg

Total time spent on this work was 1 month here are some pictures:

ORv0Rvs.jpg

The Aircraft is an Italeri kit in 1/72

f0NKjzl.jpg

The aircraft was first painted in desert scheme and the lighter parts of it was painted in blue, in order to get out the base colors, salt technique weathering was used, thus it gives that bit of usage to the buld.

HGfk9Lz.jpg

Some of the ground crew had to be converted, basically here some heads were chopped of from 1/76s Airfix RAF Ground Crew and added to bodies belonging to Airfix 1/76 8th. Infantry soldiers.

f23M2RV.jpg

6iRQZ2c.jpg

The Austin Tilly and the Motorcycle are part of an Airfix Bomber set in 1/72, they were painted in Malta Camo (this is not probable, as there are still some examples around, see later pictures)

N5ilVi5.jpg

xEGrhYL.jpg

6CRJDbn.jpg

vsFosrP.jpg

BR 323 decals where printed at home while the blast pen was constructed out of foam cardboard for the stone walls and clay for the sand bags,  In Malta during the war you had three types of blast pens; in sand bags or in used petrol cans (since in '42 petrol was given by hand) or in stone walls, at times a mix of the above mentioned materials was used, like in my diorama.

ircFqtQ.jpg

PfdtVYo.jpg

r8Rjiot.jpg

Some scratch building also went into the cockpit area.

JKdjgSh.jpg

UwFo4FT.jpg

LSvCkAn.jpg

Bgft3yA.jpg

Stone walls, sand bags, soldiers, dio base and vehicles were then oil dot weathered

Zk619LP.jpg

5deF7mo.jpg

In the second picture of the aircraft, one can still see the salt attached before it was removed, near the cockpit area.

Inspirational photos:

LiICrtj.jpg3jFIpXQ.jpghzX6WX4.jpgGxEXO6L.jpgWQP397R.jpgn1ZyIeM.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Edited by Christopher Ellul
  • Like 30

Please don't give up!  There are several good hosting sites; our member Gorby has a very informative review of the various options.  I use the dreaded Photobucket myself because I started off with them many years ago, and didn't want to have to move all my pics and also "kill" all my old linked photos.   Good luck with your pics Christopher!  😀

2 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Please don't give up!  There are several good hosting sites; our member Gorby has a very informative review of the various options.  I use the dreaded Photobucket myself because I started off with them many years ago, and didn't want to have to move all my pics and also "kill" all my old linked photos.   Good luck with your pics Christopher!  😀

Thanks mate I will check it out 🙂

A shame Sir,one was rather looking forward to see this Spitfire.

One's home town is not a great distance from where Mr Mitchell was borne and indeed one has passed the actual house on numerous occaisions.

There was some years ago a documentary on George Buerling,he was accredited with the best shoot down of WW2,being a

first class marksman.

Do persevere please.

3 minutes ago, DaveWilko said:

One's home town is not a great distance from where Mr Mitchell was borne and indeed one has passed the actual house on numerous occaisions.

There was some years ago a documentary on George Buerling,he was accredited with the best shoot down of WW2,being a

first class marksman.

Do persevere please.

Will try again hopefully, first thing tomorrow morning

14 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

And here...

hope now it works

13 hours ago, Christopher Ellul said:

Thanks mate I will check it out 🙂

Used Imgur now, fingers crossed

12 hours ago, DaveWilko said:

first class marksman.

Do persevere please.

tried Imgur, hope you can see them

15 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

oh dear, I cant see any pictures :(

hope now it works

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

I can see your pictures so you have cracked it! Great dio, interesting subject, good job!

Thank you very much, glad you like it

7 minutes ago, johnd said:

Thanks for your persistence, well worthwhile. Nicely done!

John.

thanks a lot, appreciate it

Really well done diorama. Having local knowledge must be a bonus. You have done the Spitfire real well, showing the effects of the hash environment it must have been during this period. 

Excellent background information you have provided. 👍

• Like 1

Excellent, evocative diorama that certainly conveys an impression of the tough circumstances for the Malta fighters.

One detail is almost certainly incorrect. From late autumn 1940, Spitfires were equipped with VHF radiosets and the previous antenna wire, necessary for the old HF radios, was replaced with a much shorter aerial, integral to the mast. So you can safely cut off the wire that you installed so neatly. And don't believe every detail on a profile drawing… 😉

Excellent, amitious modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent, evocative diorama that certainly conveys an impression of the tough circumstances for the Malta fighters.

One detail is almost certainly incorrect. From late autumn 1940, Spitfires were equipped with VHF radiosets and the previous antenna wire, necessary for the old HF radios, was replaced with a much shorter aerial, integral to the mast. So you can safely cut off the wire that you installed so neatly. And don't believe every detail on a profile drawing… 😉

Excellent, amitious modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thank you very much for the compliments, really appreciate it and for the massive tip regarding the antenna, this was new to me so needless to say it is very helpful. :) 

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Really well done diorama. Having local knowledge must be a bonus. You have done the Spitfire real well, showing the effects of the hash environment it must have been during this period. 

Excellent background information you have provided. 👍

thanks, appreciate it.  Yes it helped a lot being local and all that

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great model Christopher - good job! :) 

Thanks mate, appreciate it

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work, was worth waiting to see the pictures! :thumbsup:

Keith

thank you very much :) 

Edited by Christopher Ellul