A Latin Performer – Tamiya F-51D Mustang “306” Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca 1/72

Morning all!

Here is my latest roll out. She is the third (of ten, currently) in the line of F-51s that I have either partially built, painted or planned.  Apparent to everyone is that she is not a regular operational machine. She formed part of the “Los Cofres” display and demonstration team of the Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca (Guatemalan Air Force) that flew from La Aurora Airfield in the mid-1950s. She was acquired in 1954 and history seems to record that she was lost at some point in Costa Rica.

The build is based around the Tamiya kit, offering me relatively easy builds so that I can get the volume through the paint shop. It is, though, a great kit and although it has some errors it is a pleasure to build. Like the previous Bolivian I dropped the flaps by using spare Airfix flaps. The challenge here was really the masking of the nose area. The contours clearly demand more than simple straight strips of tape. My method was to cut and apply each “square” separately. The colours are probably not entirely accurate. I have, however, researched as best as I can, including support from a couple of the South American/Central American aviation and modelling forums and produced what is probably a compromise. There are some things that I know to be correct – the overall natural metal (rather than the white shown in a couple of retouched photos), the lack of "dark" underside to the rear fuselage (applies the "306" at least _ have a photo, the larger version of the “FAG” lettering (see below) and the layout of the red striping and chevrons (also see below). The recent ArmyCast release for a “Los Cofres” machine (number “342”) shows differences. However, Youtube clips and various images show a different layout from theirs. I’m happy with my decision, right or wrong. See that she also had white prop tips – or at least it looks like that in the YouTube clip.

You can see the larger “FAG, and the red chevrons in these shots:

LosCofresA

What did I use?

Kit – Tamiya F-51D (54)

Decals – Home printed serial, “FAG” and unit/team badge (thanks @timmas for drawing this). ArmyCast set for the mainwheel door lightning bolts and “squiggles”.

Paints – Humbrol Hetalcote Polished Aluminium (27002), Matt blue (25), Insignia Red (153), Matt White (34), Matt Black (33), Blue (89)+(104) mix for the rudder stripes, Interior Green (226) and others. The final coat is Humbrol Satincote. Eduard canopy paint mask.

Weathering/Panels – Flory Dirt, Tamiya Weathering Powders and Prismacolor Silver pencil.

Here she is:

DSC_0879B

DSC_0882B

DSC_0877B

DSC_0883B

DSC_0884B

I hope you like her.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
added YouTube hyperlink
  • Like 37

10 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

One of the most colorful Mustangs I've ever seen!

Now there's a challenge, Roman ;).... Yes, she is pretty bright, isn't she :)

10 hours ago, Ignacio said:

Absolutely beautiful scheme!!!

great job as usual Martin!

Ignacio

Thanks, Ignacio. 

9 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Excellent job, keep ‘em coming !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman. There are a few more to come :)

9 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Beauty

thanks Fubar57

7 hours ago, F-32 said:

Great build, quality work and a great scheme

Thanks mate. I'm glad you like her :)

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Wow, that is colourful. Very nice build, Martin with great finishing.

Thanks Vinnie. 

7 hours ago, jhutchi said:

Really nice Mustang there 

Thanks jhutchi

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Now that's a nice, colourful Pony. Good job Martin.

Stuart

Thanks as always, Stuart. Much appreciated. The serial and FAG was printed in the same way as we recently discussed. 

54 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Outstanding 

Thanks mate.

Martin

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Very colorfull bird, and a nice version you have chosen. Looking really nice.

Thanks mate. I've wanted to build this for a while and then got up the courage to do all that masking ;)

5 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Wow, that's some colourful bird...

Looks great! Haven't seen that scheme done before 👍

Nor have I, Reini. and with my liking for the unusual it was a no-brainer! ;). The work really was in the research. THere are lots of photos of these machines but they show so many variations, such as red spinners instead of blue, a dark (black?) rear lower fuselage, differing positions and numbers of the red chevrons, etc, etc..... Of course some photos show these machines as being white, which they weren't.

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Oooh Nice and colorfull Mustang !

Congrats Martin !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. 

Martin

• Like 1

Great (and very colourful) FAG Mustang!

Are you also planning to do one of the camouflaged Guatemalan COIN versions, as they were flown late in their career?

Peter

My eyes! My eyes! Just a sec, Martin while I find my Randolph Engineering aviators...OK, that's better. Very, very nice build- I see what you mean about the masking, but she is one beautiful and colorful Mustang! I noticed in the video that all of the Mustangs appeared to have the SCR522 radio fit with the short mast and no aerial wire, so you nailed that. When you get the ten finished, you need to park them side by side and photograph them. I am sooo jealous!

Mike

That looks superb Martin, really superb. The obvious question from me .......... how did you get that canopy to sit correctly slid back? Assume some shaving off from the inside?

Cheers

Terry

5 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Great (and very colourful) FAG Mustang!

Are you also planning to do one of the camouflaged Guatemalan COIN versions, as they were flown late in their career?

Peter

Hi Peter! Thanks for your comments. Yes, I have a COIN FAG machine in build. See the Mustang STGB.

It will be the "Part 2" of a build of the same machine that I nearly have completed! "FAG 315". 

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

My eyes! My eyes! Just a sec, Martin while I find my Randolph Engineering aviators...OK, that's better. Very, very nice build- I see what you mean about the masking, but she is one beautiful and colorful Mustang! I noticed in the video that all of the Mustangs appeared to have the SCR522 radio fit with the short mast and no aerial wire, so you nailed that. When you get the ten finished, you need to park them side by side and photograph them. I am sooo jealous!

Mike

A thousand thanks, Mike. I'm really pleased with her. You are right and I will have a line-up shot or two on e they Re done. :)

21 minutes ago, Angus Tura said:

Martin,

What a great build and paint-job. As above, one of the nicest mustang schemes, but I haven't seen it on a model before. I'm inspired to go on with more mustangs!

Alan

Thanks Alan. Go for it, build a few :)

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That looks superb Martin, really superb. The obvious question from me .......... how did you get that canopy to sit correctly slid back? Assume some shaving off from the inside?

Cheers

Terry

Thanks a lot, Terry. No, I didnt shave anything off. It just sits okay when nearly closed. On the next I'll do as you suggest and get a sanding stick out :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin,

Terry's right- if you do the Tamiya kit with the canopy slid all the way back, you have to relieve/sand the inside rear edges of the canopy frame so it will droop correctly over the rear fuselage. If you test fit  the unaltered kit canopy all the way back on a Tamiya fuselage, you will  see what he meant. See the linked photos- when the canopy is slid back, it droops at the aft end, and if you look at the edge of the canopy sill and compare it to the canopy frame, you can see it is not aligned with the sill, but droops slightly. Hard to explain, but the photos should help. On many builds in 1/72 or 1/48, the canopy is cemented so the lower fame is parallel with the sill, which is not correct. Mustang maniacs will know about this little detail! (Back me up, boys!)

Mike

https://photovault.com/79809

https://www.alamy.com/north-american-tf51d-mustang-contrary-mary-g-tfsi-image223514933.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link