.50 and .30 ammo belts , any scale correlations ?

SouthViper

Hi

Well, the title says it all,  

as I need to make 1/48 scale .30 ammo belts feeders  -what I do not have in hands-,

I was wondering  IF  I could use the .50 ammo belts feeders in 1/72 scale to perform

the trick ?

Some kind of math here ...

Cheers

SV

Not knowing if the feeders were of the same design, I can only comment on the size of the ammunition.

Assuming we mean .50 BMG and .30-06, as used on the Browning designed machine guns installed on US WW2 types, a 1/72 .50 would be slightly longer and fatter than a 1/48 .30, by something like 10%, so I'd expect a similar difference to apply to the feeders... of course assuming that the feeders were of similar design.

Noticeable ? Hard to tell, I guess that on a model I'd probably live with the difference if I can't find any other option

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 8:39 AM, Giorgio N said:

Not knowing if the feeders were of the same design, I can only comment on the size of the ammunition.

Assuming we mean .50 BMG and .30-06, as used on the Browning designed machine guns installed on US WW2 types, a 1/72 .50 would be slightly longer and fatter than a 1/48 .30, by something like 10%, so I'd expect a similar difference to apply to the feeders... of course assuming that the feeders were of similar design.

Noticeable ? Hard to tell, I guess that on a model I'd probably live with the difference if I can't find any other option

.50 BMG ball has an overall length of 138mm whereas .30-06 is just under 85mm, . Applying  the scale conversion, 1/72 .50 comes out as 8.2% longer than it should be to represent .30-06. I'd say that's something you will get away with.

The disintegrating link belts look pretty much the same in both calibres, just obviously bigger for the .50

50-linked-inert-.30-06-machine-gun-cartr

1-PIC_0924_t.jpg

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1