Mirage F.1CE Ejército del Aire. Special hobby 1/72.

Hi all.

This will be my 2nd Mirage F.1. Both of the Czech brand Special Hobby. The first was a single-seater M and this second will be an CE also single-seater and with a familiarly called "lagarto" scheme (lizard). I still think that it is not the definitive kit at 1/72 of Mirage F.1 but at this scale I think it is the best there is.

The materials I am going to use are:
- Special Hobby Kit
- Decals of Series Españolas
- CMK resin wheels
- Resin seat of Barracuda Models
- Photo etched for cockpit or Eduard
- Eduard Brassin AIM-9J resin / photo etched missiles
- Pitot tube and AOA probe in turned metal from Master Model
- L’Arsenal cabin photo etched access ladder
- Stretched plastic and plasticard of different thicknesses
- 0.1 mm self-adhesive aluminum
- Paints of  Alclad, Vallejo MC, Tamiya, Gunze and Live Color as well as varnishes of Tamiya and Marabu

I am unorthodox when it comes to starting a model. I usually do it wherever I want, either by construction, painting of that particular part or for whatever reason. In this case I started with the ventral deposit that will take.
I remove the details that they bring in positive (some transverse rings and the filler cap) making them negative. The stabilizing fins that it presents in the back are thick for the scale and I replace them with 0.2 mm plasticard, which are much thinner.

37281175180_e8661e568e_o.jpg

37491375246_5053c9d07f_o.jpg

The next thing I've tried to fine tune has been the air intakes for the reactor.

Air intakes often have a thick leading edge in kit parts. And although in this case it is not exaggerated I try to refine them. I apply blade, file and sand all of it on the inside.

37491375386_50da842302_o.jpg

I bought the cockpit ladder at a French store that makes its own photo etched especially naval ones: L’Arsenal. It was the only one I found at 1/72 for F.1.

These photo etched complements always have a flat structure, when in this case it should be cylindrical tubes, although at 1/72 it is apparent.

In the photos I have found of them you can see the very chipped paint, especially on the left side, and so I have reproduced it. I have used black oil + ocher to simulate some dirt accumulations (which are not seen in the photos) and later I have made generous chipping with a mixture of black and reddish brown from Vallejo MC. On some step I have passed the lead of a pencil mine. The base color has been Tamiya XF-3 Yellow with a pinch of orange. Satin varnished by Marabu.

23909967518_03cc17ab26_o.jpg

37731002322_d5131c6bfb_o.jpg

And the last thing for today has been to replace some ventilation ducts or maybe drainage, I don't know, that appear in the fuselage. Specifically on the sides next to the ventral stabilizing fins. The detail provided by Special hobby is very poor. They are really some ducts tilted back about 45º and whose mouth is cut consistently. To reproduce them I have used a brass tube of 1 mm in diameter.

The screws that are distributed by the panels have been made with a punch since not even one is reproduced in the pieces of the kit. It is something that I consider negative of the kit.

49223632132_ccde15c5c7_o.jpg

Regards.

Andrés.

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Andrés,

It's a shame that the photos aren't embedded in the post but it is worth following the links to see the changes you have made.  Very realistic weathering on that ladder BTW, looks like a typical piece of GSE that's been kicked around the flight line, well done!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wez said:

It's a shame that the photos aren't embedded in the post but it is worth following the links to see the changes you have made.  Very realistic weathering on that ladder BTW, looks like a typical piece of GSE that's been kicked around the flight line, well done!

Hi Wez.

I don't know what could have happened with the photos. The links seemed fine, but they couldn't be seen. I have edited and now they do.

Thanks for your words.
Regards.

Andrés.

13 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

That L'Arsenal stuff looks nice, even a Sunderland 1:72 PE selection.
Added to bookmarks.

Hi alt-92.

It's the only thing I know about L'Arsenal but this ladder is very correct,  except that at the top it should be hollow.

Regards.

Andrés.

Nice start, Andrés. Bookmarked this thread for reference - I have cut out some parts and cleaned them up, but not proceeded with the build much yet.

I agree the kit is quite nice but could be improved. Many things are too thick/wide but the fit is generally good and I like the amount options and ordnance provided.

I am not sure what is the correct ejection seat type for F.1CE. Since you mention Barracuda Models, I think you mean you will be using their MB Mk4. Some sources mention MB Mk6 seat was used in Spanish Mirage F.1s however. Perhaps you can shed some light on this?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, antonio argudo said:

nice to see a Mirage F1 build, great job so far Andres! this aircraft I grew up flying around my home in Albacete 14 wing air base,  love the lagarto camo, cheers

70368153-1337258043108127-21195880931105

Hi Antonio.

How beautiful it is !!!

I have been fortunate to see them fly through Valencia, which is where I live, but already with gray camouflage. The plancheta (Mirage IIIE  so affectionately named by its Spanish pilots) recently stopped flying when I arrived.
The photo did not have it, I keep it with your permission.
Regards.

Andrés.

15 minutes ago, Apex said:

Nice start, Andrés. Bookmarked this thread for reference - I have cut out some parts and cleaned them up, but not proceeded with the build much yet.

I agree the kit is quite nice but could be improved. Many things are too thick/wide but the fit is generally good and I like the amount options and ordnance provided.

I am not sure what is the correct ejection seat type for F.1CE. Since you mention Barracuda Models, I think you mean you will be using their MB Mk4. Some sources mention MB Mk6 seat was used in Spanish Mirage F.1s however. Perhaps you can shed some light on this?

Hi Apex.

Regarding the seat used, I concluded that Barracuda's was correct. I bought everything necessary for this plane for a long time. I would have to check again and I will do so.
Thanks for your kind words.
Regards.

Andrés.

• Like 3

nice, I went to uni and lived many years in Valencia 😉 

seems like MB Mk4.  were the ones used in the F1, here you have more reference pictures, cheers!

keep the good

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/a-british-martin-baker-mk4-ejector-seat-circa-5869601-details.aspx

20934670-837770159707292-166111495287802

20933999-837770336373941-137710956940386

avc-00133134.jpg

avc-00084656.jpg

23415238-1924720904211309-31495103389335

Edited by antonio argudo
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

And the last thing for today has been to replace some ventilation ducts or maybe drainage, I don't know, that appear in the fuselage. Specifically on the sides next to the ventral stabilizing fins. The detail provided by Special hobby is very poor. They are really some ducts tilted back about 45º and whose mouth is cut consistently. To reproduce them I have used a brass tube of 1 mm in diameter.

The screws that are distributed by the panels have been made with a punch since not even one is reproduced in the pieces of the kit. It is something that I consider negative of the kit.

49223632132_ccde15c5c7_o.jpg

Be careful, on Mirage F1CE, the drainage ducts are disposed like that : a hole and a duct on the left side, and only a hole on the right side.

left side

http://www.aviationcorner.net/show_photo_en.asp?id=155652

right side

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/100355/L/Spain-Air-Force/Dassault-Mirage-F1CE/C-14-50/

For the ejection seat, in the initial contract, it was the RM4 seat like the French one, and finally, it was replaced by the ERM6 model... but with grey scheme !

RM4 version :

1601014.jpg?v=v40

ERM6 version :

photo271.jpg

Edited by eclipse
  • Like 2

Excellent work Andrés, I look forward to this WIP! How you managed to make such a clean refinement to the intakes in this scale is very impressive, I think a lot more difficult than it looks.

:popcorn:

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 21:09, Apex said:

Hi Apex.

As a partner has indicated, the Spanish F.1CE carried the Mk4 seats and the MK 6 were used by the F.1M (F.1CE modernized and painted with low visibility camouflage). Either way I understand that the MK 6 is basically an MK 4 to which the rocket ejection system was changed.

Regards.

12 hours ago, eclipse said:

Be careful, on Mirage F1CE, the drainage ducts are disposed like that : a hole and a duct on the left side, and only a hole on the right side.

left side

Hi eclipse.
I do not know if carrying it on the left side alone was on French planes or if placing it on the right side was an addition when it was modernized to M. O as it happened with the flare dispensers that some carried and others did not. Perhaps this small detail depends on the airplane and specific period of time. In the photographs that are seen in the link that has kindly provided alt-92 you can see that there is F.1M that has it on the right side and another F.1M does not have it. Unfortunately there are no photos of all the planes at all the time they were in service.

Regards.

10 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Hi alt-92.

Thank you for the input of information.

Regards.

6 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Excellent work Andrés, I look forward to this WIP! How you managed to make such a clean refinement to the intakes in this scale is very impressive, I think a lot more difficult than it looks.

:popcorn:

David 

Hi miraveiv.

Well, all or almost everything is achieved with patience and delicacy. Thanks for your kind words.

Regards.

10 hours ago, antonio argudo said:

I was given a F1 maintenance  manual by someone who worked at the airbase, the second photo was taken in the late 80s at  Ala 14 air base installations, hope it helps 

cheers

Hi Antonio.

Thank you.

Regards.

And since I am here I show the small advances that I have made today.

I forgot to add to the ventral tank fins some small reinforcements in the joint, which I have made with small triangles of plasticard and small circular portions obtained with a punch and die.

49230102643_23b0f58832_o.jpg

On the sides of the cockpit I have had to seal a couple of ejection marks. I have used a 0.12 mm plasticard circle obtained with a punch and die and covered with Tamiya putty diluted in acetone that I have sanded later.

49230569821_0f98592c11_c.jpg

On the front of the fuselage I have sealed some panel lines as well as some holes that would be for the ladder using black cyanoacrylate. In the left part afterwards I had to redo them so that the corresponding part of the ladder in photo etched fits correctly.

Regards.

49230569801_e241c58d3b_c.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi eclipse.
I do not know if carrying it on the left side alone was on French planes or if placing it on the right side was an addition when it was modernized to M. O as it happened with the flare dispensers that some carried and others did not. Perhaps this small detail depends on the airplane and specific period of time.

Hum, i think there is misunderstanding... Talking about ducts, it' not right or left, it's right and left. On Mirage F1s, there are on the left side the "surpression nourrice" (feeder tank overpressure (safety) duct) and mise à l'air libre du circuit carburant (fuel system vent duct) AND on the right side, a second "surpression nourrice"... But according to early or late version, as well as French or export versions you have a hole and a duct on the left and a hole on the right, and lately, two ducts on the left and one duct on the right :

Greek Mirage F1CG s/n 101

early configuration, a single hole on the right side

DSC00432.jpg

and a hole and a duct on the left side

DSC00523.jpg

French Mirage FCT s/n 226, late configuration

A single duct on the right side

f1ct_0058_jpg.jpg

and two ducts on the left side

f1ct_0011_jpg.jpg

So that, in the Mirage F1CE, you find the early configuration :

right with single hole

photo47.jpg

left side with a hole and a duct

photo130.jpg

In the photographs that are seen in the link that has kindly provided alt-92 you can see that there is F.1M that has it on the right side and another F.1M does not have it.

In fact, Mirage F1Ms with two ducts on the left (and logically, one duct on the right) are Mirage F1EE (notice the IFR probe), version more lately ordered comparing with the first batch of Mirage F1CE. So, the EE version has the late configuration and the CE version has the early configuration.

Either way I understand that the MK 6 is basically an MK 4 to which the rocket ejection system was changed.

Yes, but there are several versions of Mk4, for exemple, Mirage III ejection seat is also a mk.4, but it is formally different from the Mirage F1 Mk.4, chek for example the head rest...

And between Mirage F1 Mk.4 and Mk.6, the main external difference is the lack of "bucket" or "pan"(? I don't know its name) around the pilot's parachute, just beneath the head rest.

If it may help...

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

If it may help...

Regarding the drainage pipes.
Well, there are planes that have a hole on the right side.

49232834006_1d63eb03e9_o.jpg

And there are those that have a tube.

49232369728_cc8d907aab_o.jpg

But I think it is appropriate to explain my vision of modeling and the reproduction of details. Here you can see the rivets that I have reproduced in this panel specifically.

49233058137_3e2301244c_o.jpg

And here the ones he really wore. You will see that they do not correspond in number with the real ones.

49233058082_cce81d167c_o.jpg

But I don't count the rivets. I don't care if there were 18, 28 or 50. I even think that if I reproduced the 28 rivets that that access panel really carried visually, it would look bad, no matter how real the reproduction was. No, I'm not interested in that aspect of modeling, as I tell you, I don't count the rivets.

Similarly, the section of the drain tube in question that I used is circular and the real one was not circular but flattened. But that doesn't matter to me. For me it is important to try to reproduce something similar and approach it. I think that not even 1/24 everything could be reproduced as it is, and yet I think that depending on how the model is completely finished I could like the look achieved or not like.
I think that modeling is a miniaturization of a real object, not a total and absolute reproduction of it, which is certainly impossible for a thousand reasons.

Regarding the seat I can not help you, I think you have enough information.

Regards.

Andrés.

4 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Well, there are planes that have a hole on the right side.

49232834006_1d63eb03e9_o.jpg

C.14-37, ok, third batch of CE.

4 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

And there are those that have a tube.

49232369728_cc8d907aab_o.jpg

Ok, former Mirage F1EE with strenghtened nose and IFR probe.

In fact, the modernization program hasn't been a full uniformization of the Mirage F1 fleet, it produced three M versions : with 1st and 2nd batches of CE, with third batch of CE and finally with EE.

But artistic license, OK, I respect that !! 😉 And I keep my mouth shut !

brit10.jpg

I found by attaching the halves of the nose to their respective fuselage halves rather than joining the complete fuselage to the complete nose I achieved a reasonable fit.  There is some fitting and adjustment required but I felt it was worth it.

• Like 1

But I think it is appropriate to explain my vision of modeling and the reproduction of details. Here you can see the rivets that I have reproduced in this panel specifically.

49233058137_3e2301244c_o.jpg

And here the ones he really wore. You will see that they do not correspond in number with the real ones.

49233058082_cce81d167c_o.jpg

Those aren't rivets on that panel on the real aircraft, they're cross-head (Phillips) type screws, real rivets on real aircraft don't leave holes like that, they fill holes.  I do agree though, if they are that prominent on the real aircraft then the appropriate number should be reproduced - or none at all.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I found by attaching the halves of the nose to their respective fuselage halves rather than joining the complete fuselage to the complete nose I achieved a reasonable fit.  There is some fitting and adjustment required but I felt it was worth it.

Yes, I have experience in the built of another SH F.1. On that occasion I used a lot of putty in the nose, I hope that this time I don't need so much.

Regards.

Andrés.

57 minutes ago, Wez said:

Those aren't rivets on that panel on the real aircraft, they're cross-head (Phillips) type screws, real rivets on real aircraft don't leave holes like that, they fill holes.  I do agree though, if they are that prominant on the real aircraft then the appropriate number should be reproduced - or none at all.

I know, I know.

Coincidentally there is an F.1M on a roundabout very close to my home. I have taken enough pictures of him and the difference between rivets and screws is perfectly appreciated.
It has been a "lapsus linguae". I was thinking about the expression "cuenta remaches" (rivet count ) used in my country as a definition of certain modelers and that is why I used the word rivet instead of screws.

Regards.

Andrés.

49235293757_4a350e9ddc_o.jpg

49235296592_e1045e0a8c_o.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all.

The ResKit nozzle has a really exceptional detail, both internally and externally. But I was disappointed by a series of imperfections  on the outside that are going to make it very difficult to paint it since as metal parts they need a perfectly smooth and polished surface so that the metallic paints are credible. Any small sign or line is harmful for a metallic finish.

49234167271_838c29c9bf_z.jpg

49234395527_ca1df167b2_z.jpg

In the green boxes of the following photos you can see the screws that fix the actuators of the final petals.
Well, its depth is low and in some cases almost negligible. In the red boxes you can see the different damages or scratches and in general you can see what I think of the marks left by the milling machine that made the masterpiece and then obtain the resin copies. Also in red I note in the last photo a line that I think does not really exist in the middle part of the nozzle
I will have to risk using Tamiya putty diluted in acetone and try to leave the surface as smooth as possible. If I left it as it comes in the piece I am convinced that after being painted it would look horrible.
Honestly it is stupid that ResKit strives to make such incredibly well detailed pieces and does not worry about such mistakes.

49234167231_17a0139967_c.jpg

49233705233_8bb66ae8d4_z.jpg

49234167161_913be36908_z.jpg

After applying the Tamiya putty diluted in acetone and sanding with 1200 and 2000 grit sandpaper, I have made the screws of the actuators of the petals with a 0.3 mm drill bit, which had been covered by the putty. Finally I have repeatedly passed a toothbrush of hard bristles and tried to polish a bit with paper towels.
It is more than evident, looking at the remains of putty that occupy depressions on the surface, the unfortunate work that ResKit have done on the outside of this magnificent nozzle.

49240077106_e9b28170ea_z.jpg

After this I have finally been able to paint it.

To reinforce the essential polished base to all metallic paint I have applied Gunze gloss black. Although the paint to be used does not need it as a primer, it does need it as a uniformly smooth base since I have not been able to polish the resin sufficiently.
As a metallic base color I used a handmade painting "Silver VSD" that was sold by a store in my city and that is no longer manufactured. After masking the middle area I have airbrushed black satin filters on the nozzle petals. After that I have highlighted details with mixed oil of brown and black, partially removing the excess in the petals so that the few remains left simulate some dirt.

The internal part of all the pieces I have painted with AK steel and after that I have applied pigment of AMMO MIG for interior motors fixed with enamel diluent.

49243158781_f7c20cedc0_z.jpg

49243375492_28b0d886dd_z.jpg

I have taken a thousand and one photos of this part that is seen below and I have not been able to make one where it looks with the interior color as it is, or the magnificent detail that it has, which is like the rest of the interior. I apologize for my poor ability as a photographer.

I must say that the fit with the final part of the fuselage of the kit is not perfect. That is why I am forced to stop painting the narrowest strip when it is already glued since I will have to use putty to cover gaps. It should go in a slightly darker tone than the central part and not as dark as the petals.

49243158721_0ff938340b_o.jpg

Regards.

Andrés.

• Like 4

Hi all.

It will carry a single tank, ventrally, but I have seen that the deposits were painted in two ways: with the three colors of camouflage or with green and yellow-sand. I choose the one that goes in two colors.
For now, I can't do anything else. The next entry will be finished, highlighting details with oil and decals placed.

I wish all the members of the forum a merry Christmas and a happy new year 2020. 💥🎉:party:

Regards.

Andrés.

49258763991_a86253611a_o.jpg

49258276953_d8ff92ac62_o.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I return to work on this model but redoing the paint of the deposit, which I did not like how it looked.

For the lizard camouflage paintings I shuffled several options at the time but I opted for XF-27 lowered with yellow, a mixture I made for sand yellow and another mixture also for Tamiya for brown.

Well, shortly after putting the photos I went around and around because although at the time they seemed good I see them, I look and remove and neither the green seems good to me nor any of the others; especially the yellow sand, which I see too yellowish. So I have taken the second option that was the XF-58 and the MRP references for the Federal Standard of the other colors. This is the test I have done on white plasticard and now it seems much better. Everything can be that in a few days I will change my mind again.

49328596841_8fd193a719_z.jpg

For the lower color I used the H-311 of Gunze FS-36622, which is a very light gray.

For now, it is varnished in Vallejo satin so that the dirt, also made with Vallejo MC, will grip well since both sand yellow and light gray have a satin finish but pulling towards the glossy so it would not grip well when applying the filters. Need to highlight details with oil and stencils. After final varnishing. That this is another question, because I am also always going to see which one and which brand I am going to use for being the one that I like the most, depending on the object I am doing in a model.

49328589171_fdf42bb6f5_c.jpg

49328589071_6550b142b8_c.jpg

49328806817_cdd9046c36_c.jpg

49328114463_ef03b6ff16_c.jpg

49328806717_a1fecb0a8b_c.jpg

Regards.

Andrés.

• Like 1

On 16 December 2019 at 1:02 PM, antonio argudo said:

I was given a F1 maintenance  manual by someone who worked at the airbase, the second photo was taken in the late 80s at  Ala 14 air base installations, hope it helps 

cheers

I'm very interested in how you will taclke the Mk6 seat. I need one for my SMB2 'Sa'ar' ;). Did I miss your solution somewhere? ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner