ab-as185 compressor with handle tank

stomper666

Hi

well thinking about it, they both have he same specs and are essentially the same.  Just one has a bigger tank ... and it’s not the one I was looking at :).

Im guessing a 3ltr tank is way more useful than slightly sleeker looks!

So would either one, especially the 3ltr tank one be a good starting point.  I’ve seen on the web where people say you don’t really need a tank but I’m thinking it’s got to be a bonus?

cheers

mike

Edited by stomper666

The specs seem reasonable. It's putting out around 23 litres per minute, which should be ok for general spraying. The 3 litre tank should be a bonus and smooth the air flow and mean you're not waiting for air all the time. The price is good. It's not the absolute quietest compressor you can get, but it's still fairly quiet at just over 50db. Can't see why it wouldn't be a pretty decent starter compressor myself...

The bigger tank should give a more consistent and smoother supply of air and maybe a little quieter.

The  pumps, by their very nature produce a pulsating air supply on their own.  The tank (3.0 litre or 0.6 litre) act as a buffer storing that air so that when it is delivered to the airbrush there are no pulsations.  Both should work but the 3.0 litre is a bigger buffer.

Also these pumps have an auto-switch so they aren’t on all the time, they switch off when the pressure is reached.  You can find that with small jobs with a bigger tank the pump doesn’t come on.  With a smaller tank the pump is likely to come on more often.

Overall, I’d say the 3.0 litre tank will perform slightly better.

But looks and convenience are also important, so if you prefer the handle version for that reason, don’t let us put you off.

And nothing wrong with those.  I have a Sparmax now but before that I had a generic 3 litre tank model like the one linked and it was fine.  The Sparmax is nicer, better built, seems a little smoother but then it is over twice the price.  If you can afford £200 then get a Sparmax (they make Iwata compressors) but if that is too much the ones linked above will be fine.

Cheers,

Nigel 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

thanks for feedback.  Still undecided.  I'm leaning towards the bigger tank as opposed to handle tank  as the advice makes sense.  To be honest, I do have a compressor so I'm not stuck.  But it's a big machine mart tiger 8/44 in the garage.  Not the friendliest unit to use in the kitchen!

Hence wanting a smaller hand portable unit really.

trying to convince wifey to let me use one of the spare bedrooms as a little workshop now the kids have left home.  Nee luck so far!

The handle version may look more aesthetically pleasing but in terms of volume that it takes up, the weight and the portability I doubt there is actually much between it and the 3L tank model.

Cheers,

Nigel