Over-riding the auto-changer

I notice the auto-spelling-changer, which is designed to keep out bad language, changes "X-m-a-s" to Christmas. I take it that the person who designed this believes that spelling with an X is considered to be a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas by taking the "Christ" out of "Christmas", but its use  by religious people actually dates back at least to the 16th century, probably to the 1400s.

I suppose some technique of over-riding this would open the door to bad language but if the moderators have any control over it they might look at it.

Yeah, I know - first world problem!

• Like 2

Funny, I'd consider this a labour-saving feature (unless you absolutely, positively must de-religionize the word/season) - type four letters, get eight. :lol:

There are always alternatives like Yule or Saturnalia if you really don't like religion. We'll see what the word filter does to those when I post this...

EDIT: Looks unblemished so far!

Edited by Alan P

4 hours ago, Greg B said:

Done, there are some weird ones in there. It also auto corrects Smörgåsbord to its correct spelling ;)

Smoregasboard - testing one two three

edit -. Ok it’s not idiot/ John proof :D

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Now if only it would "expand" all the lazy abbreviations from people who don't have time to type the extra letter or two in things like "yrs".

Totally agree thnx for posting :D

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Greg B said:

Done, there are some weird ones in there. It also auto corrects smorgasbord to its correct spelling ;)

Cool did not know we had any control over that.

7 hours ago, Greg B said:

It also auto corrects smorgasbord to its correct spelling

Quilty as charged ^_^

44 minutes ago, Julien said:

Cool did not know we had any control over that.

It used to be called the Bad Word filter, but recently it has changed names.  I forget what it's called now, but I've been using it to help people with their speelink and so forth for years now.  Mods don't have the benefit of it though, as we have to be able to swear in the private area otherwise we'd all go mental(er). :yahoo:

So now you know - we're holding in our swears by sheer will power when we're out in the main forum. :boom:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Now if only it would "expand" all the lazy abbreviations from people who don't have time to type the extra letter or two in things like "yrs".

Too right!  It gives me the screaming irrits to see “Battle of Britain”, one of the pivotal events in World history in the 20th century, abbreviated to “BoB” or “BOB”.  How would the French react to “BoW” for the Battle of Waterloo for example?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stever219 said:

How would the French react to “BoW” for the Battle of Waterloo

The volume of rage created would probably cause the Académie française to explode.

The average person on the street would almost certainly just shrug...

1 hour ago, Mike said:

It used to be called the Bad Word filter, but recently it has changed names.  I forget what it's called now, but I've been using it to help people with their speelink and so forth for years now.  Mods don't have the benefit of it though, as we have to be able to swear in the private area otherwise we'd all go mental(er). :yahoo:

Well I'll be b^$%#ed!  And here I thought Britmodeller was just naturally a place of decorum, except when it sometimes isn't.

bob (so how can I object to "BoB"?)

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

bob (so how can I object to "BoB"?)

How would Sir like to object? :hmmm:

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

How would the French react to “BoW” for the Battle of Waterloo for example?

Je ne sais pas? BDW?  I'm sure that's some smutty acronym, but I can't think what.

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

For the rest of us ! Sorry couldn't resist. 

'e's a poet and I suspect he does know it... although how bad a poet 'e is may have escaped 'im :wicked:

• Like 1