A bunch of Mustang's!

Andre B

Ok, time to start up the builds and join the group build. Funny is that today I've found the last missing kit in my P-51D stach. I've got the Forces of Valor"s P-51D kit. Together with my Airfix, Tamiya and Hasegawa P-51D kits I have som nice choises to do. I also have some decal"s to choose. Hopefully I end up with one built kit before end date! ;)

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 3

The kits then?

Well we start with an unfamiliar one - the infamous "Forces af Valor's U.S: P-51D Mustang"...

spacer.png

The FoV kit (silver) compared to the Tamiya (dark grey) and Airfix (light grey) kits.

spacer.png

The worst part of the FoV kit is the "bulbeous spinnfin" on the tail. Can one fix this with an new tail from Pavla?

spacer.png

One funny thing with the FoW kit is that it is said to be molded in an plastic colour according to "Bare Metal Skin" equivalent color reference. It's gonna be fun to se how true this is...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that I have some Catch Up to do. But instead I gave another kit an chanse and started up an build with the old Hasegawa P-51D as well. There where some painting done yesterday and maybe I be able to take some pictures today. And I must say that I also had some fun with the FoV kit and its engine parts. ;)

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

Hi Andre!

a nice start :). I'm way behind so dont panic... It isnt a race :). If it was I'd be in the final three! ;) Remember, Hare and the Tortoise :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some Progress...

First the FoV Mustang. Engine and cockpit had been brushed with som paint albeit no details are worked out yet.

spacer.png

Engine

spacer.png

The Airfix fuselage...

spacer.png

...Hasegawa (top) and Tamiya (bottom)...

spacer.png

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 3

Mmm...

The P-51D "tail" from Pavla arrived yesterday. So now I had to decide what kit I should use the tail with. It is made for Tamiya. But it doesn't look to impossible to use it with the FoV Mustang. And as I have the decals for Lou IV it seems that it will be an yellownosed early P-51D on the workbench...

Cheers André 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Mmm...

The P-51D "tail" from Pavla arrived yesterday. So now I had to decide what kit I should use the tail with. It is made for Tamiya. But it doesn't look to impossible to use it with the FoV Mustang. And as I have the decals for Lou IV it seems that it will be an yellownosed early P-51D on the workbench...

Cheers André 

Good afternoon Andre

I used the Pavla set with the Airfix Mustang on several occasions the plastic used by Airfix  is quite tender  and you will be able to cut off the tail easily ..

I may try use to use one of Pavla set I still have in mys stash with a Tamiya Kit before the end of this Gb ..

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 1:13 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Andre

I used the Pavla set with the Airfix Mustang on several occasions the plastic used by Airfix  is quite tender  and you will be able to cut off the tail easily ..

I may try use to use one of Pavla set I still have in mys stash with a Tamiya Kit before the end of this Gb ..

All the best

Patrice

Hi Patrice, :)

I intend to use the Pavla tail to the infamous Forces of Valor kit. A kit that I found was rather fun to build and actually not so bad as the rumours say. Ok, it isn't an Tamiya or Airfix. More like an old Matchbox. But with an engine it has som fun and different possibilities.The worst part of the kit is the tail. But with an spare tail from an old kit or in my case an Pavla tail that can be solved... ; )

The tail of the FoV kit compared to the Pavla tail.

spacer.png

Cheers / André

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Yeah, the fin fillet looks chubby. Good idea to replace the tail. Will your model have a fillet eventually?

Hi,

Well, this kit will be filletless as I intend to build Lou IV. I had an idea to shop the Tamiya or the Airfix kit for the Pavla kit and use one of those tails to the FoV kit. But I think I stay on the "safe road" with not to many configurations... ;)

Cheers / André

• Like 1

hi Andrea,

why did'nt you just sand the the  Valor Kit's Fillet down ?  by the time the PAVLA Part had arrived you

would have been onto the next stage of the build .

cheery mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

4 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi Andrea,

why did'nt you just sand the the  Valor Kit's Fillet down ?  by the time the PAVLA Part had arrived you would have been onto the next stage of the build.

cheery mumbas  !                                                                     Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

Hello Geoff,

Well, two things. Working with keels and rudders on sailing boats I have done my share of fairing and sanding. And I was curious about the Pavla tail. If it had been an matter about time I never would given the FoV kit an chanse and just been concentrating on one kit (Airfix). Now I can share my experiences of both the FoV kit (the first and only here at BM and this GB?) and the Pavla tail.

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Note that on the Pavla tail, there's a "remnant" panel line running vertically through ("across") the leading edge area.  That shouldn't be there on a filletless fin, because it is the aft end of the fillet!

Hi, 

Thanks, almost forgot  that little "remnant" panel line. I think there is a lot of panel lines to fill on this little GB... ;)

Cheers / André 

• Like 1

Some cutting and cleaning done...

spacer.png

Actually not as bad as expected.

spacer.png

An engine...

spacer.png

So some parts toghether. Not so sure yet about the colours of the engine framing in front of the firewall. Green or natural aluminium? Some wetsanding and panelscribing after the fuselage and tail had been glued toghether. It could been a lot worse.

spacer.png

Cheers/ André

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nice surgery Andre.

Thanks Cookenbacher,

The Forces of Valor Mustang is in som ways a kind of "snip tite kitt". As I wrote earlier it is a little bit of an Matchbox model. It's far from accurate in every corner but fun and simple! :)

Cheers / André 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Andre B said:

Not so sure yet about the colours of the engine framing in front of the firewall. Green or natural aluminium?

Hi André

See the discussion here under about engine bearer colour.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Hi André

See the discussion here under about engine bearer colour.

Cheers, Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes I've seen som discussions about it and also lot of pictures. It seems that it is a lot of differense concerning painted parts of framing or natural aluminium. I think green for most are correct for the engine bearer. But what about framing and plates above and under the engine? It seems that they for most was natural aluminium...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B