P51D 1:48 MISS STEVE

Joss

Hi guys, 

Going to enter with the Eduard Chattango Choo Choo model. It seems a nice kit, but I have noticed the landing gear seems off. So any advice there will be appreciated!

Pictures will follow very shortly, I've managed to break my phone's camera so have to use the DSLR and transfer it all over.

Anyway, the main attraction which is the markings. In the kit there are six markings, five of them nmf and then one OD and NG. 

I'm leaning towards the OD and NG but I also like the miss Steve marking! 

Choices choices!

Waffling over and let's crack on!

Thanks for looking

Any comments, suggestions or criticisms are welcome!

Joss

Edited by Joss
  • Like 3

Welcome aboard!  I don't have this kit yet, but my understanding is that the main oleos are extended as if the aircraft is quite light, while the tailwheel is perhaps compressed (sticks out less than typically seen).  In combination, this apparently gives the model a jaunty air (or looking a bit 'stuck up').

4 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Welcome aboard!  I don't have this kit yet, but my understanding is that the main oleos are extended as if the aircraft is quite light, while the tailwheel is perhaps compressed (sticks out less than typically seen).  In combination, this apparently gives the model a jaunty air (or looking a bit 'stuck up').

Thanks gingerbob!

I have to admit I resisted at first but gave in and bought it in the end.

Going on that theory, if I was to cut the oleos out this should fix the problem?

My only concern then is this will weaken the undercarriage. But depending how the legs are attached to the covers(?) it might be strong enough.

Cheers

Joss

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Joss

Welcome aboard

Have fun with your build

All the best

Patrice

Hi Patrice, 

Thank you very much!

This is my first group build in a long time so I'm excited to get something on the road and hopefully completed!

Cheers

Joss

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 11:14 PM, Joss said:

Hi guys, 

Going to enter with the Eduard Chattango Choo Choo model. It seems a nice kit, but I have noticed the landing gear seems off. So any advice there will be appreciated!

Hi Joss and @gingerbob

Cool that you noticed this, I hadn't until you both stated it.

I hope its ok but I started screenshooting a few builds and real aircraft off the web after you noticed the Eduard stance

(for my own build's sake as much as anything)

Granted some may have been adjusted in their respective builds but I'm assuming not.

Its really interesting to compare all

Seems the monogram and eduard rear gear is definitely too short but the main oleos don't look a million miles off on these sources

49229394978_627b039521_o.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

I haven't actually put up any pictures of the kit yet so here we go.

IMG_0002[2]

IMG_0003[1]

I'm well under way with construction as this kit seems to fall together. Whether it's tamiya's shake and back I'm not sure but it really is good.

Im at a roadblock until Xmas, as although I have the colours. I want to try out the ak real colours I'll be getting so not long, then I'll upload some photos.

Joss

• Like 3

On 12/18/2019 at 8:15 PM, Joss said:

Thanks Dansk for the photos! 

Interesting as you say, seems to be the tail wheel strut is bend over. (Abit like when you glue the landing gear on and set the bird on her legs to soon 🤣)

Not sure what would be the best fix for this? What do you think?

Just notice that haha mind you I can hardly comment as on my first upload on Britmodeller was a Mustang with its gears backwards but covers the right way round 🤪

Notice the Eduard shot has the doors the wrong way round :(

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Notice the Eduard shot has the doors the wrong way round :(

Yeah interesting! not sure if it's a picture from a modeller or from Eduard. If it's a modeller then fair enough! To be fair I've made more than my fair of mistakes so I can't say anything!

But if it's from Eduard would have thought they would have double checked before uploading!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joss said:

Yeah interesting! not sure if it's a picture from a modeller or from Eduard. If it's a modeller then fair enough! To be fair I've made more than my fair of mistakes so I can't say anything!

But if it's from Eduard would have thought they would have double checked before uploading!

Shhhh... I screenshot it from a fellow britmodeller’s build ;)🤫 it looked superb with the exception of the door mistake.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 9:15 PM, Joss said:

Not sure what would be the best fix for this? What do you think?

Have you mulled over a solution Joss?

I was thinking about adding a 5mm (ish) piece of sprue at the top of the gear leg thus extending it and allowing a change in angle a touch in the process?

i dont think my dodgy skills on this fix will be visible up there at the top of the bay - what do you think?

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Time for an update. I've decided to go for the marking master mike, as I like the colours and I'm not that keen on do nmf at the moment.

R0020_13 (1)

On with construction, the cockpit is well on its way with some detailed painting required and photoetch to be added. 

IMG20200101180740

IMG20200101180804

IMG20200101180810

I have also constructed the wing assembly so once she's buttoned up so should fly together.

IMG20200101180838

Any comments or suggestion welcone!

Thanks for looking

Joss

• Like 9

10 hours ago, SimonT said:

Looking good Joss, nice and tidy painting, looks a great kit, must get one.

Thanks Simon, not sure whether to weather her up much inside or not.

I'd recommend very enjoyable build so far,! 

Slowly plodding along, she's mainly together now, got the dreaded describe to do which is always a bug for me especially with Eduard kits.

I've contemplated this for a while, which is while we might get the extra details like rivets which are nice and very satisfying once emphasised with a  wash . The replacing of them after the necessary sanding can be a pain.

Enough musings model time.

IMG20200102200046

IMG20200105180809

IMG20200105180821

IMG20200105180828

Thanks for looking!

Any comments suggestions welcome

Joss

• Like 6

Great looking wheel well!

p.s. About your comment- back in my carefree days of yore it never occurred to me that I had to restore the bit of (raised) panel line that got sanded down while dealing with seams!  Just the other day I did my first crude attempt at "scribing" while correcting the 1/72 Airfix P-51D elevator mass-balance tabs.  I think it turned out "reasonably OK" - I didn't add a new panel line that went far further across the stab than was supposed to, and I didn't accidentally cut off a bit of the part (or finger!).  I think they even more-or-less agree with each other.  But we'll see how it looks once painted over and (inevitably) "cleaned up"...