Battle of Britain movie Buchon

This is the Battle of Britain Buchon  I have made for the Film, Fictional and Speculative GB.
This is a model of the Hispano HA-1112 “Buchon” which was used as a stand in for the Bf 109 in the Battle of Britain movie.

The plane number “5” is more than likely in the movie, but not featured like the others.

However, it is featured in a documentary that uses a lot of shots made for the film.

The model is weathered to look as if it had done a lot of flights for the camera. 

The last photo I took the other day shows it with the real Bf 109 for comparison. 

It is an old Hobbycraft kit re-issued by Academy. The kit has the usual fit issues and needed some filling here and there.

The worst area was the back of the cockpit. The canopy was about half a mill to small on both sides,  which is why the canopy

area on my model isn’t as good as I would like. I added detail to the wheel wells and drilled out the exhausts and the spinner.

There is no aerial because I couldn’t see one in any of the photos taken during the filming. I used the  Tamiya weathering master set to do the weathering.

I may have over done it a bit on the fuselage joints, but this was an experiment so I’m not concerned about it.

The dark green is my own mix because the film planes used a darker green than the normal Bf 109E-3. 
The decals come from two sources. The Main decals are from a Bf109 set and the badge is from a paint on mask marking set that wasn’t in good order when I got it.
All in all it wasn’t a bad build.

Buchon fin image 3

Buchon fin image 4

Buchon fin image 5

Buchon fin image 7

Buchon fin image 2

Buchon fin image 1

Buchon fin image 6

Buchon image7

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic build!  I think it is spot-on for the finish and weathering (as I recollect) from the movie.

I have a 1/72 Buchon in my stash and I would be very pleased to produce a result like this, when I build it.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fubar57 said:

Well done. Not a fan of the Bouchon but it does make for an interesting subject

I never was until I built this one. I think it looks a lot nicer here at home than it any photo.  Photos just don't do it justice. If some else makes this kit replace the canopy like Reini's dad did and you will get a much better result.  I wish I had known this trick before I built this one. 

• Thanks 1

Nice job Greg, I've long liked the look of these, it makes an interesting pose to see it with its younger brother. OK they're not the same but like that close enough & I really can't see why some still make a fuss about them in the BoB movie after all this time.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Funny I missed the wing tip completely.  I was focusing on the markings to much as my kit didn't have the BOB scheme in it, so I had to cobble them together. 

I might revisit that and change them.

Ok tips cut off and putty added to be reshaped. Problem is I might have taken them back to far. If so I will have to reconstruct them with plastic card.

I will decide in the morning. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Funny I missed the wing tip completely.  I was focusing on the markings to much as my kit didn't have the BOB scheme in it, so I had to cobble them together. 

I might revisit that and change them.

Ok tips cut off and putty added to be reshaped. Problem is I might have taken them back to far. If so I will have to reconstruct them with plastic card.

I will decide in the morning. 

I had the same issue with the markings.  I think yours have turned out better than mine. 

I was lucky enough to pick up the book about how the movie was made, and it mentioned in there about the wingtips. Apparently the Spanish pilots they had said it would ruin the aircraft's handling, but after one flight, they said they wished they'd done that when they were in service!

All i did with mine was file them back and square.

The new wing tips are on. They just need final fairing in. I will give the glue 24 hours to cure properly before I finish the shaping. I took it right back to the first panel line, so I should end up with a better tip shape all going well. Lucky I still have some of the Special paint mix left. Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will be back in the cabinet. 

It does look a lot more like an E3 now. Not as elegant as before though. How I missed it I don't know. Sometimes I wonder.........🤔

• Haha 1

I really love this and think it should have pride of place on your shelf! Think this film is why a lot of people are into modelling and I want to build one.

I think it has the look and feel from the movie, great job

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Very nice.

I also thought that, for the movie, they replaced the four blade propellers with three blade props.

My understanding of that was they used 3 bladed props for ground scenes but the flying aircraft retained their 4 bladed props. I think. ;)

Steve.

Good progress on reshaping the wing tips.

I checked the prop issue.  The planes did have the three bladed prop when on the ground,  but definitely used the four bladed prop in the air. So I'm happy to leave that as is.

• Like 1

This is becoming like a WIP thread. I have got up to repainting the lower surfaces of the new wing tips. I will be repainting the whole upper surfaces to make sure I get an even paint finish. I'm going away till the 1st and will do it as soon as I get back. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the updated images with the squared wing tips. Been a battle, but I won in the end. 

It is finally in the cabinet to stay. Then again it needs one more fix the aerial on the fuselage is

leaning and now it has disappeared. Looks like it will get a real Bf 109 Aerial.

Buchon Z image5

Buchon Z image6

Buchon Z image2

Buchon Z image1

Buchon Z image4

• Like 1

I like to be correct Steve. It wasn't a straight forward job and this last session was a nightmare. My tremor almost killed the plane today,  even when I was photographing it.

I have fixed the top Aerial now and will take some more photos in the morning to replace these. It has a aerial from a Bf 109 kit on it now and looks much better.