Choices - Choices

mbthejester

Hi all,

looking for my first airbrush/compressor setup, just getting back into modelling after 30 yrs, so having to get everything literally, will most likely be acrylic only, for 1/35 AFV’s mainly, no dedicated modelling area unfortunately will be using my PC desk with a portable/ fold up extraction spray booth type setup ? seen all sorts from £50 on amazon to 100’s on other sites, need to be sensible on price, taking into account everything else I am having to get.

can anyone recommend some suggestions please, afaik I have  no local shops in North Herts that I can pop into so online it is. 

cheers

Mark

Get the best compressor you can afford. The air source is very important. A poor air source will become a pain in the long run. Start with something decent and it will last. Something poor and you'll soon be looking to upgrade, so your initial spend will be wasted. I started with a very cheap, noisy, under performing compressor. Within months I realised my mistake and upgraded to a silent unit with a tank. It changed the way I looked at compressors forever. That was 1993. I've still got that compressor now and it's still working as it always has. It cost me £220, but it's repaid itself in it's reliability and faultless operation for 26 years.

For airbrushes I'm using Tamiya HG wide, Sparmax GP-70, Iwata Revolution CR and Mr Hobby. They're all excellent brushes I'd recommend them all..

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Keep a look out on Ebay - you might be lucky. I got a nearly new Iwata compressor for significantly less than half price.

I think the Iwata compressors are made by Sparmax? You can get the Sparmax ones on eBay quite a bit cheaper than Iwata. Might be worth looking? 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mbthejester said:

Thanks all, much appreciated 👍given me   Just what I was after Sparmax Compressor plus a few brushes to check out 

cheers

Mark

That Mr Hobby brush I mentioned is a real belter!! I've been using it for 5+ years and most times now I never use anything else. It's a single action. It's just so simple to use and clean. Just wind the needle out and it goes from pencil line width up to fairly wide. I spray all sorts of parts for car and motorcycle models and use it in it's wider setting for all bodywork items. Really great, quality brush, I'd recommend it very highly. Obviously if you need a double action then the others I suggested are also worth a look. It depends how much detail you're spraying. If you're doing say mottled camo on a 1/35 tank, you may need something a little finer. 

Mr Hobby Brush

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10062174

• Thanks 1

Personally I'd stick with Iwata, but I've only ever used 3 brands in my life.  Paasche VL I could never make work.  Paasche H and Paasche V are great brushes.  I bought the H&S Evolution Silverline 2-in-1.......that's pretty much gonna be a paper weight.  It's fought me every step of the way.  Now my Iwata HP-BCS I love.  Siphon feed, removable cup makes easier clean ups.  Got the H&S because the Paasche Cups would no longer stay attached.  Finally bought a new cup and that thing just out does the H&S (IMO).  Also replaced the .5mm needle and nozzle with .35mm ones.  Probably going to get a Iwata HP-B Plus down the road for finer stuff.   I'll monkey with the H&S a bit, but it makes me cringe to use honestly.

NOW MY COMPRESSOR IS DYING.....UGH!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Personally I'd stick with Iwata...

Everybody says Iwata. But honestly Iwata don't make their own brushes. They're made by BB Rich, who also make Tamiya and I believe the Mr Hobby ones too. I've got a couple of Iwata's myself, nice enough but not the cheapest if cost is an issue. The quality of the Mr Hobby is as good as Iwata in my honest opinion, but at a lower price point...

• Thanks 1

I am in the same predicament myself, but after seeing some quite impressive work out of the <£50 chinesium compressor/airbrush combos, i am hoping one of those lands under the Christmas tree later this month. 

I can wholeheartedly see where people are coming from in terms of 'buy the best you can afford', but i think it comes down to how much you will use it/plan to use it. Its cheap enough not to be drawn to despair if you buy it and airbrushing isn't for you, and not too expensive to be a good 'demo unit' before you do transition to a more expensive model. I wouldnt expect it to last as long as the branded equipment either. 

Sorry for the huge video thumbnail, i thought it was worth showing a comparison between cheap and branded equipment. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

Everybody says Iwata. But honestly Iwata don't make their own brushes. They're made by BB Rich, who also make Tamiya and I believe the Mr Hobby ones too. I've got a couple of Iwata's myself, nice enough but not the cheapest if cost is an issue. The quality of the Mr Hobby is as good as Iwata in my honest opinion, but at a lower price point...

I have not looked at those two brands, but I haven't really been modeling much for quite a few years.  I'll have to look into them.  I just know H&S doesn't look like it will be the brand for me.   Thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1