Hasegawa P-51b/c 1/72 FINISHED

almac

Evening all. This my second entry into the group build but it was my first choice before I bought the 1/32?P-51d. This kit I bought at the Scottish Model show at Perth last year. It only cost me £4 as the box and instructions are in a bit of a state. There is also no decal sheet but that wasn’t an issue as I have some Mustang decals. I will either build Don Gentile’s Shangrila or Duane Beesons’ Bee.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all. I’ve finally made a start on this one. A dry fit of the wings and fuselage looks good.

spacer.png

A quick paint job on the interior. I won’t waste too much more time on this as little will be seen when closed up.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 6

Just realised I can’t find the instructions for this kit. I’ve put a enquiry on the wanted forum so hopefully someone can help out. If not I’m sure I’ll manage as it’s a simple kit but I’d rather have instructions just in case I mess up. 

Evening all. Spent some time on the Hasegawa P-51 this evening. Since my last pictures I’ve basically now got all the aircraft together and need to tidy up the various seams. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Evening all. Just spent almost two hours masking this one. I trawled the inter web looking for a mask set but couldn’t find one. I’m glad it’s done but it was tedious. Anyways primer tomorrow hopefully. 

Cheers Allanspacer.png

• Like 6

I hate masking! How much modelling could you do in two hours!

For birdcage canopies I have been using a different technique for several years now - I paint a clear piece of decal with the respective fuselage colour, cut it into narrow stripes and apply it to the canopy frames. A thin stroke of gloss clear needs to go underneath before you slide the decal into place, that fixes it when dry. The effect is pretty good because there will be a little step between glass panel and frame like in real life. If there are small oblique corners like on the P-51 frame I insert them afterwards with a pencil brush - two or three layers to bring them to the same level with the decal. Much faster than masking and no accidents can happen!

Cheers, Michael

• Like 3

Afternoon all. Primer on today. Gunmen interior green on the canopy first. spacer.png

Followed by Mr surfacer 1500.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stopping for lunch and hopefully later I’ll paint white for ID stripes and base for red spinner and nose.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

Afternoon all. After lunch started painting the white bits. I find white to be difficult to spray. I have tried various brands and recently have had success with Revell aquacolor.  Today was not a success with the Revell so I tried Gunze acrylic thinned with Mr color levelling thinner which worked well. 

However, I noticed some seams on the wing leading edges that I had overlooked so I’ll need to fix those before continuing with the painting.

spacer.png

Only slightly frustrating but they will be a quick fix but that’s for another day as tonight the family are off to see 1917.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Evening all. Modest progress today. I sorted the errant seams and reprimed and repainted the white. Next I masked the ETO stripes and painted the red bits. I used Tamiya red which sprayed really well. Tomorrow night I should get the Neutral grey on.

As to the paint scheme I’ve decided to do Shangrila as I’ve always wanted to do it. 

Cheers Allan 

spacer.png

• Like 6

Evening all. Neutral grey on tonight. I tried to get some variation by pre-shading. I’m not sure I’ve managed it though as I find it difficult to know when to stop. I’ll look at it in the morning with a fresh perspective. 

Cheers Allan 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Evening all. Tonight the olive drab (gunze) went on. Again I’ve tried to get some variation to the colour but again I’m not sure it makes much of a difference.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

I decided I was happy with the olive drab so off came the masking and I think it looks ok. The red looks really bright but hopefully I will be able to tone it down a bit. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 9

Evening all. Not much progress last few days, no time with work and such. Anyway tonight I glossed in preparation for the decals tomorrow. Also I assembled the drop tanks and painted the prop tips yellow and will do the black tomorrow. I’m not looking forward to assembling the prop with the separate blades.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

Afternoon all. Problems right away with the decals. When I placed the red and white checks beneath the exhaust they appear to be too short by at least 1 mm probably more.

spacer.png

Now I’m not sure if I’ve made a mistake when painting the red or if it’s just the decal is too short. The problem is what to do. I can’t see how I can fix it and I think my only option is to go for my second choice decal for Duane Beeson’s Bee.

Cheers Allan 

Maybe the exhaust opening is too long? It looks nice though. I would try to lift off the decal again (if you haven't fixed it with clear yet), and move it back a fraction. Beforehand you extend the nose band a bit. This might be a compromise that's not discernible.  Let the nose swim in water for a night and the decal will come off easily.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Maybe the exhaust opening is too long? It looks nice though. I would try to lift off the decal again (if you haven't fixed it with clear yet), and move it back a fraction. Beforehand you extend the nose band a bit. This might be a compromise that's not discernible.  Let the nose swim in water for a night and the decal will come off easily.

Cheers, Michael

Thanks Michael. The decal is off as I didn’t let it settle once I saw it was too short. I had thought of extending the red but I think that’s not an option.I actually wasn’t overly impressed with the decal sheet as some of the details are poorly represented. I wish I had looked at it more closely beforehand. Anyway I think I’ll go with “Bee”, it’s the simpler option. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 1