S&M Viscount - Aer Lingus. 1/144

S&M Viscount1/144

Aer Lingus decals from classic-airlines.com

al8.jpg

This is another of my S&M Viscounts with a few mods to re-profile the nose and cockpit 'dome', and thin all trailing edges. I ran out of them so Mike 'Bootneck' kindly sent me this one, thanks Mike!Decals are laser printed from classic-airlines.com, but oddly don't match the reg of the aircraft shown on the side profile that comes with them. No matter though,they went on very well, although I trimmed the lower front edges of the green stripe as it dipped down towards the black radome. I liked the scheme that had the constant lower white stripe so trimmed the excess green off before applying it. This is the advantage of test fitting a photocopy of the cheatline before committing it to water.

Also used was 26Decals Viscount detail sheet, but I don't know if this is still available as Ray has stopped doing laser decal sheets.

al1.jpg

al2.jpg

al5.jpg

al6.jpg

With my previous S&M Viscount, in classic-airlines.com British Midland decals.

al7.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely marvellous, can hear the sound of those lovely darts whining away great job.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Cheers Michael.     

• Like 1

That's a real beauty John. It brings back happy memories of spotting with my father at Glasgow (Renfrew) Airport in the early 1960s. I'm still amazed at the results you get from the S&M kit which just go to show what skill and hard work can achieve.

If you don't want to risk running out of S&M Viscounts again you can currently get 10 for £19.99 (plus £5 postage) on eBay!

Dave G

• Like 1

Nice! 

When I was a kid and started this hobby I was so unhappy that Airfix do Vanguard, Comet, Caravelle, but not Viscount, and this kind was my favourite and a bit more familiar since machine was even in use for short time by Polish LOT in sixties (with  Convair 440 - the only two non-Soviet machines in LOT of those years) ... Then I restricted mine ineterest to 1/72 oly and finally to 1935-45 period, but a kind of soft spot remained...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

When I was a kid the sight of Aer LIngus Viscounts in that scheme whining over my house was, almost literally, an hourly occurence. It is pure nostalgia for me.

And a good job on the S&M kit.

The Viscounts I remember in that scheme were in the EI-AO... range and the EI-AK....

• Like 1

Hi John,

Just lovely! This is my favourite Aer Lingus Viscount livery I've got the 26 decal for it.

Did you use WW1 rigging for the aerial? It looks great, I love a classic airliner with an aerial.

It's interesting that the Aer Lingus looks longer than the British Midland one in the last pic, I can only think it's an optical illusion because of the broader cheatline on the BM Viscount. Would look great parked next to a BEA red square Viscount! 

Cheers,

Ian

Many thanks for the kind comments chaps, as always it is much appreciated.

On 15/12/2019 at 14:44, Turbofan said:

Would look great parked next to a BEA red square Viscount! 

Now there's a thought Ian. I happen to have a Welsh Models Vac form I built a few years ago. Very different noses on them.

al9.jpg

On 14/12/2019 at 19:11, Skodadriver said:

If you don't want to risk running out of S&M Viscounts again you can currently get 10 for £19.99 (plus £5 postage) on eBay!

Wow, That would keep me busy Dave. I'm interested, but would probably need to source some decent props. Thinning & reshaping the S&M ones on this build nearly drove me nuts. For some reason I kept breaking them, in one case breaking 3 off one prop,

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Need to pick up one of these kits, love this build! I have an Airfix Vanguard to build, so I think a Viscount will be a good addition. Never had a chance to see one fly, only ever saw them parked at Southend airport slowly rotting and losing parts. Shame really.

• Like 1