Star Trek Discovery Now on Paramount +

Max Headroom

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I've been trying to watch the re-runs on BBC 2 of a Friday night (more like I've been falling asleep half way through and missing the 2nd episode!). It's such a bad time to bury them in the schedule.... I guess they're just using them as "fillers".

Chris. 

I binged watched them on iPlayer a few months ago, so they may be there still?

Trevor

• Max Headroom changed the title to Star Trek Discovery No Longer on Netflix

With literally hours to go, Paramount has pulled the rug on Netflix showing season 4 outside the US/Canada and the world will have to wait until 2022 for Paramount + to be launched (no doubt a paid for subscription service).

Fuming.

Trevor

Can't say it breaks my heart, I'm 100% done with Discovery. The third season was its last chance with me. At certain points, it looked like it might be finding its stride, but ultimately just didn't deliver the goods.

The explanation for "The Burn" was preposterous to point of insulting.

Seeing Tilley, an ensign of all things, get promoted to first officer was a slap in the face to any senior officer on the ship who would rightly have been in line for the job and made me lose most of the respect I'd built up for the Saru character.

Seeing Burnham, someone who never should have made it through the Star Fleet psychological exam and into a uniform, put in the Captain's chair was the last straw.

I'm looking forward to the new series with Captain Pike and hoping it will bring Star Trek back to form.

• Like 1

• Max Headroom changed the title to Star Trek Discovery Now on Paramount +

Zombie thread resurrection!

Just found out today that as a Sky Movies subscriber, I can get Paramount+ for no extra cost😁👍

Good news for those with that package. If you’re with Virgin or BT it may be worth your while checking out if you get the same deal.

so then…..Disco, Weird New Places and Below Decks. I got a lot of catching up 👀

Trevor

• 3 months later...
On 10/21/2022 at 10:32 PM, Blackcat2020 said:

It's nice to see that Star Trek - Strange New Worlds has returned to the single episode format. 

As you rightly point out, the series definitely pays homage to the original concept and I think Anson Mount is perfect in the role of Captain Pike. 

I loved the two episodes featuring the Gorn! 

No spoilers here but, the final episode was a corker with a definitely unexpected sting in the tail! 

Strange New Worlds had the strongest start out of the gate of any Star Trek series that I can recall. It feels like they had a very clear vision for it before they set to any filming. It's got some quite compelling characters in it as well, an area where Discovery sadly lacked. I'm certainly on board for a second season of Pike and crew.

To my recollection, most Star Tek series, the spin offs anyway, take a couple of seasons to find their stride. Discovery couldn't find stride in three seasons and Picard seams to be trying to avoid having a stride at all.

Interestingly, though some people like to deride the series, The Orville did a LOT of maturing in the break between the second and third seasons and has a much better balance of drama to comedy. The first couple of seasons, it had the comedy dialed rather too high and it was difficult to know what the show was trying to be. Mind you, I think that was a direct response to how overly serious Discovery was taking itself. Comic relief has always been an aspect of Star Trek and I think Seth MacFarlane wanted to make sure he had that in his series, so much so that he overdid it in the first couple of seasons. The third season has been quite compelling and better written than the first two; I hope for a forth season inspite of rumblings that there might not be one.

• Like 1

I agree, SNW has the makings of a classic Trek and is so much better than Disco. The latter is trying too hard and takes itself very seriously. 

BTW where in the U.K. can you catch The Orville? I saw half of season 1 and then disappeared.

Trevor

i quite liked Voyager!

10 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

BTW where in the U.K. can you catch The Orville? I saw half of season 1 and then disappeared

Used to be on Fox, then when Disney bought Fox, they closed the channel after about 12. months. It's now only available on Disney+, along with a lot of the old Fox channel shows (NCIS etc)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Used to be on Fox, then when Disney bought Fox, they closed the channel after about 12. months. It's now only available on Disney+, along with a lot of the old Fox channel shows (NCIS etc)

I’ll go hunting……..

Trevor