Star Trek Discovery Now on Paramount +

Max Headroom

For those who missed it first time around on Netflix, Season 1 is now on freeview.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star-trek-discovery/67976/e4-deal-broadcast-star-trek-discovery

Trevor

Edited by Max Headroom
Good(ish) news

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught the first couple of episodes - trying to work out when it’s set (I only came across it by accident and missed the first 10 minutes of E1).

Graham

Just watched episode three - beginning to to like it!

I cant believe, though, that after the appearance of Discovery, it took me about 10 minutes to link it with the title - Doh! 

Graham 

Avoid.

Non cannon, has moments of brilliance but overall, disappointing.

Characters designed to annoy, technology way ahead of its (TOS) time. Klingons who are so different they're unknown.

A plagiarised power source, an altered for no good reason Enterprise. A great Capt Pike.

Sadly written by group of writers who wouldn't know Trek lore  if they were being simultaneously beaten with assembled kits of the various

incarnations of Enterprise and other iconic vessels.

Roll on the end of January. Cant wait for Picard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like a breath of fresh air. Certainly breathes new life into a rather tired and very staid Star Trek format. I've watched both seasons.

I think a lot of people are looking through rose tinted spectacles with their negative comments and comparisons with the original Star Trek stories.

It's a lot more imaginative and, I think it's a refreshing change that the writers are now diverging from the nicey,nicey,touchy feely,pink fluffy bunny world that is the United Federation of Planets we know so well.

I loved the alternative universe storyline ( remember Mirror, Mirror?) . Michelle Yeoh's character as Empress Georgiou was a spectacularly nasty piece of work and, I thought it was great to see her back in Season 2 along with the Section 31 subplot which, is something else that flies in the face of the original concept and, will doubtless upset the Star Trek geeks!

Blood,gore,serious violence,dismembered bodies ,torture ,some seriously scary looking Klingons and ,swearing! What's not to like!😂.

To be sure, some cruddy stories. I particularly hated the one with the time shifting Harry Mudd and,I have to say that the late Roger C Carmel's portrayal of this likeable rogue was the better of the two. A shame he was only in two episodes!!  I  didn't like the new version of Mudd.

Some very irritating characters though. Ensign Tilly being the worst by far. Definitely a female version of Wesley Crusher.😠.

Wasn't too sure about  Captain Pike to begin with but, I think the character turned out very well (spoiler alert) - his glimpse into the future and, his subsequent fate was a good touch I thought.

Overall, very impressed and looking forward to Season 3. Hope this time they lose Tilly  in a wormhole or something. Definitely looking forward to the Section 31 spin off series

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

37 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

@Albeback52 glad you like it. I may not be popular with this opinion but it’s even better than Voyager!

Yes Tilly is annoying (very). It’s not Mary Wiseman’s fault, but her character needs to develop.

Trevor

You're right not her fault so, apologies due to Ms  Wiseman! 😊! I actually disliked Voyager so, from where I sit , anything could be better!! 😂

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 8:54 AM, Max Headroom said:

it’s even better than Voyager!

That's what I call setting a low bar! (but at least Voyager was better than Enterprise 😄).

I liked Disco a lot, S1 was enjoyable, but S2 caused a full on nerd-gasm. I'd call myself a Trek fan in the sense I've seen most episodes, but it's not a religion for me or anything. I quite like the idea of alternate takes on the source material. I wasn't going to do spoilers, but as we've already jumped in - yes, Pike was awesome.

I love the comment above about ST written by section 31!

Steve.

I've found Discovery a bit hit & miss.  I really enjoyed the

Christopher Pyke

character in Season 2, but Michael (whever her name is - Buble?), I find a bit tiresome.  She's far too earnest, more so than her

half-Vulcan brother Spock (played by Gregory Peck's lad)

, and most of her lines are whispered rather than spoken.  I'm also having trouble with the

Spore Drive

managing to be a thing.

I might not bother with season 3, but as 2 was quite different from 1, I might give it a look.  I believe that

Captain Pyke

won't be returning for S3 though :(

• Like 1

Sorry to say that I only watch it because there is not a lot of Sci-fi out there.

The following is just my opinion:

I feel that the writing in many cases is poor.  An example being a certain character at the helm(2nd in command).  Obviously an accomplished person. Yet this person needs to ask where the ship needs to be during a given event? IMHO, you are 2nd in command and can pilot a starship.  You should be able to figure it out know when/where to place your ship. 

The Klingons especially in the first season, the prosthetic mouth made them almost unintelligible.

The story line with a certain Captain who shows up later in the Star Trek was good, the actor did a good job.

@Mike for me Tilly is the oxygen thief. Not Mary Wiseman’s fault, she manages well with the material given. 

Also Keyla Detmar, there is no fleshing out of her character at all. Her main reason for being in the show is to give meaningful states at Important Moments.

Live long and prosper sort of thing.

Trevor

Well, I’ve just managed to subscribe to Netflix for the grand sum of 50p a month so can now watch both series without having to wait. I can feel a binge watch coming on....😁

Graham

• Like 1

I remembered this scene:  Michelle Yeoh's character asks the head of security to accompany her in tracking down the main villain and hearing him scream. This the line the head of security gets to utter:

Yes, really. just google NHAN yum yum.

Picard is head and shoulders above this.

Edited by NoSG0

I'd forgotten about commander Nhan, I liked her. She's funny and 'ard. :)

I also liked the original cyborg (Lt Cdr Airiam) coming back in S2 as a new flesh & blood character - sneaky. I liked her part in The Expanse as the tart with a heart that was trying to clue the rookie security guy in to the Belter creole in season 1.

• Like 1

Tilly is likeable just for being the first character in a Star Trek production to use the f-word, and then for ithe way she imitates her mirror universe counterpart, Captain 'Killy'. The dialogue is exquisite.

I'm most of the through season 2. I like the series. It's not perfect but no Star Trek ever was, and I particularly like the way that fanboys foam at the mouth and go into paroxysms over the continuity and how it looks too advanced and how it's so removed from Gene Roddenberry's vision. Sounds like the equivalent of rivet counting to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Truro Model Builder I’m with you on the ‘rivet counting’. No spoilers, but the technology issue does get resolved.

Tilly though? No, I’m afraid she’s just annoying. I know she’s a central character, but still......

Trevor

On 2/5/2020 at 10:04 PM, NoSG0 said:

Sorry! Ignore above! Entered in error!

On 2/10/2020 at 7:43 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Tilly is likeable just for being the first character in a Star Trek production to use the f-word, and then for ithe way she imitates her mirror universe counterpart, Captain 'Killy'. The dialogue is exquisite.

I'm most of the through season 2. I like the series. It's not perfect but no Star Trek ever was, and I particularly like the way that fanboys foam at the mouth and go into paroxysms over the continuity and how it looks too advanced and how it's so removed from Gene Roddenberry's vision. Sounds like the equivalent of rivet counting to me.

It's all of that and more! I think too many people look at the original Star Trek through rose tinted spectacles.

I particularly laughed at the previous comment about Commander Nhan. What's not to like? She was simply relishing the prospect of offing a rather nasty character!!

Anything which shows up the dirty side of Starfleet gets my vote. I actually find the self righteous, moral high ground approach of so many of the characters downright irritating.

No organisation like the UFP or Starfleet could ever survive without someone prepared to be downright nasty and, do their dirty work!

For that reason, if for no other, I really look forward to the Section 31 spinoff - especially with Michelle Yeoh reprising the role of the former Empress Giorgiou - a spectacularly nasty piece of work.

The rose tint bespectacled fanboys will probably have a collective coronary! 😂

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:32 PM, Mike said:

I'd forgotten about commander Nhan, I liked her. She's funny and 'ard. :)

I rather like her as well. Shame she was a bit underused. Hopefully the character( - although missing presumed dead along with the Discovery volunteers) might be resurrected for season 3!

I thought her "Yum , yum!" response to the prospect of a most unpleasant demise for Leland was hilarious!

Allan

• 6 months later...