Star Trek Discovery Now on Paramount +

Max Headroom

I'm a die hard trekkie and have enjoyed most,not but all of the cannon series, T.O.S, Enterprise, next gen, Voyager and DS9 and most of the movies. The 2009 reboot Kelvin or JJ time-line I thought was very enjoyable indeed especially if we gloss over "Beyond", it really breathed new life into the franchise.

The current incarnation (Kurtzman/ prime) timeline should be looked at as another separate  time line from cannon.  This shows there are 5 Trek universes visualised.

Personally I stopped watching Discovery after episode 1 of season 2. I really can't stomach Burnham or Tilley or the writing. this Trekkie's blood boiled when in ep 1  of season 2 Burnham spoke to Captain Pike

in a way that should have sent her to the brig for insubordination. Kutzman trek is not for me. If you wan't the real spirit of Star Trek check out the Orville. It's in homage to Trek but has become more

like Star Trek than the current incarnations including Picard and the abysmal lower decks.. Orville is shot brightly with characters you will genuinely care about,even its gelatine Lieutenant Yaphit has more personality that most of the crew on Disco.

It really is a lot more than comedy, try it, I bet you'll enjoy it.

Edited by RACETRACK

• 2 weeks later...

Thought the first series of Orville was good, but the second was a boring dud. I am wondering when the third series of Discovery is finally going to crawl on to Netflix (I've read that it will be October in the UK). Was the delay down to the virus crisis, I wonder? 

Chris. 

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Thought the first series of Orville was good, but the second was a boring dud.

Can't agree with that - the first series of The Orville was OK, but unsurprisingly felt like a series finding its feet and tone. The second series (IMHO) was excellent, with assured performances, much more mature stories, good jokes, and real emotional heft. And Isaac's journey is worth price of admission on its own...

best,

M.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 9:50 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

Can't agree with that - the first series of The Orville was OK, but unsurprisingly felt like a series finding its feet and tone. The second series (IMHO) was excellent, with assured performances, much more mature stories, good jokes, and real emotional heft. And Isaac's journey is worth price of admission on its own...

best,

M.

I think I fell asleep during 4 or 5 episodes of Season 2 (was fairly late at night, admittedly) but that might not be a good sign. We will have to agree to differ on that one.... To each their own. 

Chris. 

I wouldn't call myself a die hard Trekkie by any stretch. Watched TOS back in the day, TNG and most of DS9, some of Voyager and finally bailed completely on Enterprise. Now I enjoyed Discovery especially Series 2 and the spin off with Anson Mount as Captain Pike looks promising.

On a related note (SciFi on the telly), BBC iPlayer has Battlestar Galactica (all 4 series) available to watch.

On 9/3/2020 at 5:38 PM, spruecutter96 said:

Thought the first series of Orville was good, but the second was a boring dud. I am wondering when the third series of Discovery is finally going to crawl on to Netflix (I've read that it will be October in the UK). Was the delay down to the virus crisis, I wonder? 

Chris. 

My main problem with The Orville is its name. To the Americans, of course, it conjures up images of Orville Wright, but here it's that flipping green duck in a nappy.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

My main problem with The Orville is its name. To the Americans, of course, it conjures up images of Orville Wright, but here it's that flipping green duck in a nappy.

I’m guessing that somewhere is a space ship called Wilbur 😳

Trevor

• Haha 1

check out " first frontier" on You tube, it's marvellous. Its the way retro Trek could have been done and if it had the budget of disco it would be amazing.

It's hade more views on You tube than the whole of Star Trek day on the same platform.

The second series of Orville is ace with real sucker punch/ I never saw that coming moments.spacer.png

Battlestar Galactica is where I got my Avatars name from and I love the show. The BBC is 11 years late to the party. Still at least the can't mess this up as they did'nt make it.

I won't be coming back to Discovery for S03.  It has become boring and gone too far away from what I enjoy watching.  I barely managed getting to the end of S02 as it was.  You can't enjoy everything of course, I prefer my stories and their characters to be natural and unforced.  I also got tired of Burnham whispering all her lines. :shrug:

The 2000's version of Battlestar Galactica made the Star Treks, Orvilles, Doctor Who, you name any other recent sci-fi TV series look like kiddies' show, IMHO

BG was very well-written sci-fi, aimed at adults who don't mind being asked to think whilst they are being entertained. The series examined a number of "social issues" without beating the viewer over the head with its message. Modern script-writers could REALLY take a leaf out of its book. So many recent series have felt like they were shouting at the viewers and subtlety has fallen by the wayside a long time ago. 

Chris.

PS: And I bet BG was shot on a tiny fraction of the budget of the more modern sci-fi shows, too.

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

I won't be coming back to Discovery for S03.  It has become boring and gone too far away from what I enjoy watching.  I barely managed getting to the end of S02 as it was.  You can't enjoy everything of course, I prefer my stories and their characters to be natural and unforced.  I also got tired of Burnham whispering all her lines. :shrug:

Burham had a very simple way of communicating... The lower her voice, the more "significant" her pronouncements were. Having said that, Burham could make "I'm just going for a pee" sound deeply profound! She's more a piece of moving scenery than a real, human character, from where I'm sitting.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.

32 minutes ago, Mike said:

I will be as the series is brilliant ( IMHO ).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I started with Discovery way back at the release of Season 1 on Netflix.  Quickly gave up on it then.  The blatant advertising of it based on "look LGBTQ+ inclusion" didn't help it either.  Someone earlier in this thread mentioned TNG was written by the politically correct, well that applies to STD also, moreso because it's advertised as being such, and unlike TNG (which I maintain is the best Star Trek, besides DS9) it's in your face...

2 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

The 2000's version of Battlestar Galactica made the Star Treks, Orvilles, Doctor Who, you name any other recent sci-fi TV series look like kiddies' show, IMHO

BG was very well-written sci-fi, aimed at adults who don't mind being asked to think whilst their being entertained. The series examined a number of "social issues" without beating the viewer over the head with its message. Modern script-writers could REALLY take a leaf out of its book. So many recent series have felt like they were shouting at the viewers and subtlety has fallen by the wayside a long time ago. 

Chris.

PS: And I bet BG was shot on a tiny fraction of the budget of the more modern sci-fi shows, too.

OG BG was better.  BG 2000 was depressing.  Although Tricia Helfer made of for some of that...

BTW BBC have BG on iPlayer.

Edited by RobL

48 minutes ago, RobL said:

I started with Discovery way back at the release of Season 1 on Netflix.  Quickly gave up on it then.  The blatant advertising of it based on "look LGBTQ+ inclusion" didn't help it either.  Someone earlier in this thread mentioned TNG was written by the politically correct, well that applies to STD also, moreso because it's advertised as being such, and unlike TNG (which I maintain is the best Star Trek, besides DS9) it's in your face...

OG BG was better.  BG 2000 was depressing.  Although Tricia Helfer made of for some of that...

BTW BBC have BG on iPlayer.

By "OG BG" are you talking about the original 1970's TV series? If you are, I have to say I find it just about un-watchable now. It is so obviously aimed at the 8-15 year old market. The only really good aspect was the vintage Cylons ("By Your Command!").

Still, to each their own, I guess.

Chris.  

PS: I'm not usually that into tall, skinny women, but Tricia Helfer made me think some VERY un-gentlemanly thoughts..... Oh, Lordy, Matron!

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.

Disco needs at least two viewings per episode to ‘get’ everything. Even then, I’m sure there is stuff that’s gone over my head. However I like it as a stand alone. Anson Mount was head and shoulders the best thing about S.2 and thank goodness he’s been used for a spin off.

S3? Without being drawn into any arguments, it appears that it wants to appeal to ‘a wider audience’. I don’t mind agendas as such, as long as it’s got something to do with advancing the plot.

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

It's being shown on "Regular", "Live", "Cable"(however, you might call it), tonight on the CBS network in the USA. it was on their "CBS All Access" streamlining service since its premier. I intend to give it a watch to see how it is.

I watched the episode; not bad; will watch it for the next few episodes. Normally, the TV networks are showing new series and new episodes of returning shows; but, neither new shows, or returning shows have happened. So, this may get more attention than usual. I actually read the opening credits(producers, writers, etc.) and saw that Eugene Roddenberry was one of the producers; yes, I know that it is his son.

Edited by JPuente54
Added more information
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Max Headroom changed the title to Star Trek Discovery coming to E4 - Season 3 now on Netflix

Just watched Disco Series 3 EP. 1. I'd give it a 6-out-of-ten. This entirely new storyline needs some time to develop. The special-effects looked very expensive.

The Michael Burnham on "truth-serum" scene? That felt like it was included to make her seem a more believable character, to be honest. Having said that, it was nice to see her act more naturally. Still find her horribly "goodie two shoes". 

What say you?

Chris.   

12 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

What say you?

I watched it tonight and the sound was absolutely terrible with continual dropouts at around the time of her capture. We'll see if it improves at the next viewing.

28 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Without giving away too much, I really enjoyed the first episode of season 3. Especially watching those bad guys get eaten!! Oooops! Sorry! No spoilers!

Oh yes, and a beautiful cat named Grudge!!😊😂

John

Like the barfly who i've seen b4

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

I watched it tonight and the sound was absolutely terrible with continual dropouts at around the time of her capture. We'll see if it improves at the next viewing.

Sorry to hear about your audio issues. Were you having some problems with your internet connection? 

Chris.